GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve installed an EdSets intercom system in my new Nolan helmet. I used the ear buddy and pouch mike install in a flip face. The wife’s helmet still has the standard J&M setup that came with the Honda basic install from the dealer.

Problem is the interface between the two only works intermittently with no rhyme or reason. It sounds and works fine for 20-30 seconds and then cuts off like wind noise grabbed the mike. Then later will work again. I have tried changing the mike muting up and down the scale top to bottom with no effect. Still cuts in and out. My mike is completely hidden from wind glued into the chin bar. The wife has a wind sock on a boom mike with it pushed completely under her face shield. Still get the cutting out no matter the setting or how fast we are going on the bike. This did not occur when I had my original helmet with J&M installed.

Suggestions? Will a EdSets and J&M not interface together and I just need to switch the wife over to EdSets?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
raw2210,

When you say that it cuts out, I assume that you mean that the music cuts out due to the noise picked up by your open microphones ?

There is no reason that Edsets and J&M can't be used together.

·
Registered
652 Posts
There is going to be a slight difference in the volume levels between the two but that shouldn't make them cut in and out. What you may be experiencing is the wind noise muting them due to the pouch mike having no wind sock. The J&Ms do the same thing with no windsock.

I did a test of two different earbuds on a recent trip and we couldn't swap earbuds due to the tremendous difference between the two. The specs for the 2 listed a 48 ohm impedence for one and 16 for the other. I still need to do more testing before I talk anymore about the differences.

If you are using the isolating earbuds you will find you need the Mic mutes because the wind noise is much more evident than with the speakers. If you don't have mike mutes try switching the Intercom off to kill the mikes and see if the audio stabilizes. Some people have reported that a small balloon of something similar stretched tightly aross the mike and then slipped back into the pouch helps but I am going to try to make some sort of wind sock for mine. I wonder if just encasing the mike, except for the opening or course, in silicone would help. I believe that a lot of wind noise is due to wind rushing past the case and booms on all these mikes.

I also believe the Nolans are very noisy helmets maybe due to their very thin shell. I use the N100e. I also have a Shuberth which is a cone of silence compared to the Nolan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts