GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for asking such newbie questions, but in my research everybody that asked about intercoms knew what they were talking about :)
To put it simply, I'd like to be able to talk to my passenger through means other than shouting over shoulder. I think the intercom is what I'm looking for.
The bike is a 2004 and has CB installed on it.
So what what I'd like to know is what are my options and here's a few questions I have.

I understand that the helmets need to be modified, and based on my research the EdSets seemed like a reasonable choice. That being said:

1. Can I have only the conversation part going through the intercom/headset and keep the music on the speakers?
2. What about the CB - can I have the same separation? (don't use it now, but...)
3. Can the volume be controlled separately for rider and passenger?
4. Does the system cut-off when not speaking so that no intercom windnoise is heard?
5. Is it truly duplex?
6. Is there anything else I need to purchase besides the EdSets?
7. Anybody have any experience with EdSets and Symax helmets? (Large and Small). Installation, wind noise, etc.

Sorry for asking too many questions - thank you very much.

philip

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here's a start:
1. Can I have only the conversation part going through the intercom/headset and keep the music on the speakers? ==> that's one way, or you can have both the intercom and music through your headsets. When speaking on the intercom, the music volume (when set to the headsets) will decrease.
2. What about the CB - can I have the same separation? (don't use it now, but...) ==> You can, or, again, you have it send through the headsets as well, along with the intercom and music as well. Like the intercom, receiving somethingon the CB will "mute" the music.
3. Can the volume be controlled separately for rider and passenger? ==> Not unless you buy a simple accessory unit that allows the passenger to control the volume. I understand, however, that the pax cannot, however, turn the volume up higher than the driver.
4. Does the system cut-off when not speaking so that no intercom windnoise is heard? ==> Depend son conditions and units used. There are a number of "board members" that report a lot of wind noise from the pax, and there are after market remedies. I simply installed an intercom PPT for my pax.
5. Is it truly duplex? ==> Yes.
6. Is there anything else I need to purchase besides the EdSets? ==> only as mentioned above, as options.
7. Anybody have any experience with EdSets and Symax helmets? (Large and Small). Installation, wind noise, etc. ==> Lot of "board members" do, but I went with J&M.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure others will add their $.02

·
Registered
206 Posts
Given the forums you are posting on, I'll assume the bike is a Goldwing.

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. No, unless you add a separate controller for the passenger.
4. No. There are accessory devices that will do that. I keep the volume adjusted so it is not a problem.
5. Yes.
6. Not familiar with "EdSet", so don't know.
7. No, sorry.

I am not familiar with EdSets. If you in fact have a wing, then you need ear and mic pieces in the helmets, and wiring to the bike's connectors. There are several companies that make these. I have J&M and they work well.

You have the ability to switch each audio component (except the intercom itself) to speakers or headset individually. You can put the CB on speakers and the radio in the helmet. You can do the reverse. You can put it all in the helmet. The intercom will mute the audio of the CB or radio when you speak - whether it's on the speakers or the helmet. You can control the sensitivity and the amount of muting.

Carl

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
However there is no way to stop these comments

honey your driving to....(.any of these) .....slow ..fast close ...back....the right ...the left..up/down ..back/forth...LOL...JUST LIKE IN A CAR!!!!!!!!!... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ......by anonamas........ :lol: :lol: dont you guys RAT me out either :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
G

·
We do exactly what DDKING said, the Air Riders at both stations and Mic-Mutes. Then everybody is happy, all the time! It is the only way to go. We tried the Wind Deflectors, full faced helmets, baloons over the mic, thinner baloons, over the mics, very thin rubber glove fingers stretched over the mics. No we did not use condoms since this is a wet county. We have the PPT switch for the passenger that Honda furnishes as an option. But of course the passenger can only turn the volume down 30% over where the rider has it set and not up. Air Riders at both stations solve all of that as long as you set the master volume at full up. Then the Mic Mutes make it fun since there is no wind noise in the headsets. But now your SO can cut you off in mid sentence. I would not dare do that to her, but I could.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I also have a stupid newbie question about the intercom. As I don't have a passenger I have not tried this yet and it might become self evident. BUT here goes.

How can you adjust the volume on the intercom?? When I plug my head set in I can hear myself talk but the volume is very low. When I push the volume control up or down it does nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

G

·
The I-com volume control is a knob. Push it in and it displays various things you can change on both knobs. Not a stupid question but if you don't check out your manual you will miss a lot of neat stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts