GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. Yesterday I installed the "intercom alternator whine reducer" harness (officially called "ACG Line Noise Sub-Harness P/N 32190-MCA-305) in my 2001 GL1800. Ran into a couple items I thought it might be helpful for others to know if they're considering installing this harness. Fred has some nice photos of the process at http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/noisefilter (though he doesn't mention the '01 pin differences; I think he did the install on an '02 so he wouldn't have run into it).

First, there's a label on the harness itself that says "2002-2007". Don't freak out, it works fine on a 2001, but there is a change you need to make.

In the instructions you slide open the connector white terminal lock and back out 12 terminals out of the big black connector that plugs into the back of the radio. You then insert the 12 terminals on the anti-whine harness into those spots on the black connector, snap the white terminal lock back closed, and plug 'er all in. Well, I had a problem getting the white terminal lock to close up again. After a while I determined it was 2 of the green wires, specifically the ones that are supposed to go in terminals 20 and 21 on the black connector. For whatever reason they just wouldn't allow the terminal lock to close back up again. (Just FYI, if you DO do this harness installation, if the terminal lock doesn't RElock with a nice brisk snap just like it UNlocked, something's up...you've got one or more of the terminals not inserted properly or something).

Anyway, eventually I decided to look at the original terminals that were pulled out of 20 and 21 and AHA! There it was! They were a different style of terminal than what was provided on the harness! See the photo below...the brass one on the left is the original '01 terminal, the tubular aluminum-colored one on the right is the one that is on all the new harness connections. So, I cut off the terminals on the new harness from the green wires labeled "1" and "4", and soldered on the old-style '01 terminals. Why Honda used those different brass terminals on those two connections I don't know, but they did. And I'm guessing that's why the harness was labelled "2002-2007", not "2001-2007"; in '02 they must have changed those terminals to the same as all the rest of them, so that's why it isn't specified to work on an '01.

So, put everything back together and (I'm gonna shorten the story significantly here...suffice it to say I dicked around a lot doing point-to-point wiring checks to find the problem) had a problem with the driver's mic not working. Turns out those two pins, 20 and 21, are the grounds for the driver's mic, so make darn sure you pay special attention to those pins when reinstalling them into the black connector. They're a little different and you need to take extra care to ensure they're all the way inserted before snapping the terminal lock closed. (The pins all have a very distinct feel when they're pushed home properly, you'll develop a feel for it as you insert all the other ones. Also take a look at the ends of the terminals in the connector...you can see them when they're properly pushed in all the way).

So anyway, there you go. If you want to install this harness on a 2001, go ahead, it'll work, but be aware that:
1) You'll need to cut off the OEM terminals from the wires in 20 and 21 and solder them onto the anti-whine harness. The ones that come on the anti-whine harness won't work in an '01.
2) Be darn sure you get the terminals in 20 & 21 FULLY inserted into the connector before you snap the terminal lock closed. If you don't you'll spend an hour or so dinking around with all the wiring trying to find where the problem is, and be stumped when everything checks good all the way up to the connector. DAMHIK. :oops:
3) Last thing...at one point I was getting frustrated and decided screw it, I'll just put everything back the way is was and live with the whine. Then I realized that there were 5 different plain green wires you pull out, and I didn't know which went in hole 30 versus, say hole 21. So, you may want to label the wires as they come out with some masking tape as to which hole they went in in case you need to check something later. Probably unnecessary since everything will probably go just fine, but with 5 identical wires there's no way to know who's who without labeling where they came from.

I haven't tried it with the bike running out on the road with my wife yet, but the intercom works fine in the shop (raining here this weekend) and I have no reason to believe the whine won't be gone or largely reduced when we get out on the road.

Hope this helps somebody out! :thumbup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Radio Whine

Does the whine sound mechanical and increase with engine speed. I'm trying to figure out how to eliminate the radio whine on a 2014 Can Am Spyder and am wondering if the same fix would work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts