GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background, 02 Wing with Mic mutes installed and JM headsets with PTT passenger switch. AT TIMES, passenger only would lose XT side tone. Everything else worked fine. She could hear everything FM,CB, Ipod etc.Tried switching out cords, switching helmets etc etc and could not pin down problem. Today, both passenger AND Drv had no side tone when PTT switches front and rear were activated. Everuything else works fine. Called Morph today and followed his directions for eliminating problem. Nothing worked, so pulled Mic Mutes off bike completely. Replugged up connectors. Still no side tone on Intercom. Rcv works front and rear on all settings, CB, Ipod, FM, AM, weather Band. When I hit PTT with CB on, it does indicate a switch from Rcv to Xmt. Still no side tone on intercom, both positions. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I know this is a dumb question but, what do you mean by "XT side tone":shrug:
Was XT a typo, should it have been TX=transmit? If so, still don't understand "side tone"?

·
Registered
297 Posts
LarryM

It appears you have covered the basics. I don't have a schematic of the audio unit but I wouild hazard a guess that both mic inputs drive the same IC in the audio unit that source the audio for the headset ear pieces AND cb TX audio. In other words there is a circuit in the audio unit that is common to both headsets. If you have access to another CB can they hear you when you transmit.....that would provide some additonal info for troubleshooting.

I would love to get my hands on the schematic if any has a copy. (Please, please, pretty please)

Again, speculation on my part but I think LarryM might be able to tell you.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Side tone. When you blow into the mic, you can hear it in your earphones. Lets you know mic is active.
Thank you:thumbup:
OK now to your problem-Are the mics dead only when just the I-com is on?
This also dumb but, I-com on only-are you holding the PTT switches while trying to talk or just pushing/releasing, then talking?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mics were dead all the time. All audio works in all positions in all combos with proper indications shown in the display. I removed all mic mutes wiring fand adapters from bike. Still no mic power in any position. Left bike overnight in disgust. This AM, all of a sudden Intercom started to work. Bike was not moved in any way and nothing was changed on bike. Intercom front/back work with muting etc. now works. I am beginning to believe I have a gremlin someplace. HAHA I will leave MicMutes out for a while to prove one way or another if they were the cause. Morph says he will check it all out for me, so will be sending all Micmutes wiring etc to him sometime next week if the OEM intercom system stays live. WAPITA.......

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
Dave is correct. All audio with the rider and passenger headsets is in parallel and shared, both speakers and microphones, and that includes the PTT switch. The radio receives audio from the mikes on the same line, and sends audio out on the same line.

For the radio to be at fault, every symptom has to affect the rider and passenger headset simultaneously. Since this problem (at least some times) is only happening in one headset, the radio cannot be the cause. It is something in the headsets or bike's wiring.

Even though the audio for the headsets (in and out) is shared, the signals are actually split inside the radio on the circuit board right before the external connectors. So technically a problem with one or the other headsets can be caused by a bad connection at the radio connectors.

Substitution is the best way to eliminate the headsets as a problem.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Hi Top,

I've recently had a similar frustrating problem with my mic's. My GL2WAY CB would give a horrendous squeal when I pressed the TX (transmit) button that would over-ride anything I was saying. Heard it both on the bike's speaker system (bike or helmet, whichever was selected) and the receiving bike heard the squeal also.

Now here's the interesting part - my mic's would work on intercom. Press the TX button, could talk (had the squeal, but could talk). Release the TX, go to try it again and even though it transmitted a squeal, the mic's were dead. Thought the mic's had been blown. Switched helmets, connector harness, all the same crap you've done.

Also turned bike off and left alone. Came back later, mic's work. Okay, so it seems I've tracked it down to the GL2WAY.

Seems I get one use of the mic, then goes dead. Turn the audio system off, count to ten and turn back on, usually get the mic's back. Unplug the 2way, have my mic's, intercom is okay. Press the TX switch - no CB installed but just checking. Still have mic's. Swap my 2way with a buddies, try reconnecting all the various harness connectors, don't have an issue. WTF - bad 2way?? Got with Pete at BikeMP3 (Pedro66 on the board). Got some tips regarding additional ferrite filters. Eventually with re-routing wiring, filters and planetary alignment, swapping radios back and forth, got rid of the squeal and my mic's work. (Now have to work on getting a mild squeal out of my buddies system).

Long story to give you the background. Appears that for whatever reason there is some sort of loop feedback (non-tech term here) that shuts down the mic input until the charge bleeds off. Appears one of the things that helps is additional ferrite filters on the system, the other is make sure the connectors are fully inserted. Remove and re-insert if necessary. PM me if you have additional questions.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Make sure the gray wire under the left pocket (the one that looks like a telephone chord) is plugged in properly. Mine got knocked loose when I was in there and did something similar.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I was 70, so I said "screw the bike, time to party". Had pulled out ALL mic mutes wiring and re connected OEM. Intercom works both ways. Seems as long as IC selected, PTT switch has no effect. Mics are now always hot as long as IC selected on panel button. Cannot remember how the OEM intercom system worked. Did I need to use the PTT switch to activate mics or were mics on as soon as IC botton selected on panel? Remember, just turned 70 today, so I CRS. HAHA
Thanks for all suggestions and help.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
On a stock Wing, the PTT has no control over the intercom. the PTT switch is only used for the CB. Without a CB, it doesn't do anything.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bill Morph of mic mutes checked out his system and it proved ok. I had also sent him OEM attenuator adapter. That had bad contacts on it. Haven't put it back to get yet as my new 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0 Twin Scroll Turbo in Venetian Red with moon roof and Navigation options plus every other option Hyundai has for the Limited just came in. Time to play with that for a while...............

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just checked out intercom system after Morph returned Mic-Mutes to me. Everything works fine now. The 5 wire red connector OEM antenuator under left pocket looks like it went bad. Couldn't find it on any wire diagram, but Bill says not needed, so buttoned everything up and it all checks good. Thanks to Bill Morph and Mic Mutes for the time and trouble. to get my system working correctly.
Thanks again Bill.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts