GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had fun at the motorcycle show yesterday. Sat on a lot of different touring bikes, and of course, a 2018 Goldwing. The Honda booth was busy, even at show opening. They had some 2017s across the aisle so it was easy to compare the new with the old.

The 2018 is beautiful. The pictures and videos do not do it justice. I waited my turn and observed other riders soaking it all in. Yes, the trunk is smaller, but there also seem to be some great trade offs for that.

One of the main reasons I bought my Wing was for my passenger's comfort. I watched couples hopping on the 2018 at the show, and it was interesting. It seems like there is more room than first appeared when the photos were leaked, but I am very interested in hearing more details about how passengers feel about the 2018. I imagine RDL, Ultimate, and others will develop some seats in the near future and that will have an impact, but I am interested in the real life comments from owners and their passengers as passenger opinions make a difference for me and test riding is literally months away.

·
Love The DCT
12,733 Posts
I had fun at the motorcycle show yesterday. Sat on a lot of different touring bikes, and of course, a 2018 Goldwing. The Honda booth was busy, even at show opening. They had some 2017s across the aisle so it was easy to compare the new with the old.

The 2018 is beautiful. The pictures and videos do not do it justice. I waited my turn and observed other riders soaking it all in. Yes, the trunk is smaller, but there also seem to be some great trade offs for that.

One of the main reasons I bought my Wing was for my passenger's comfort. I watched couples hopping on the 2018 at the show, and it was interesting. It seems like there is more room than first appeared when the photos were leaked, but I am very interested in hearing more details about how passengers feel about the 2018. I imagine RDL, Ultimate, and others will develop some seats in the near future and that will have an impact, but I am interested in the real life comments from owners and their passengers as passenger opinions make a difference for me and test riding is literally months away.
Rider, Ultimate Motorcycle, and other publications were at the press ride in Austin, TX. Most had their significant others with them riding two up and they give their impressions as passengers riding on the back of the new wing.

You can do a search and find the ride reviews. I have provide a like to one of them.

:doorag:

http://ridermagazine.com/2018/01/22/2018-honda-gold-wing-tour-dct-first-u-s-ride-review/

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Murf. I have been reading some of those and watching some YouTube videos as well. In fact, one of the YouTube videos asked the passenger how she liked the new Goldwing compared to the bikes we usually ride. A Goldwing was not mentioned and it made me think that the opinions of members of our own community will be more telling. For me, it is all about how it compares to the pre-18 Wings as my riding partner really finds our Wing comfortable . Also, as I said in my original post, new seat offerings, wind management products, floorboard adapters, armrests, extended passenger grab rails, and so on will be coming. The aftermarket will respond to the comments or real riders and their passengers as it has in the past.

Upon reflection, my post was premature. Mrs. Iamriding found wind buffeting a problem on our "new to us" wing so I have installed a Madstad and have Baker hand wings on the bench. I believe things may have to be tweeked on the new Wing to provide optimum comfort for our passengers based on what I have read and when watching passengers climb on the new Wing at the show on Friday. My goal was to start a conversation and hear from 2018 owners in our community as they explored this aspect of the journey when making the bike their own and to make their passenger as comfortable as possible.

Have a good day and many thanks to the owners of 2018s that are sharing ride reports, videos, and other insights with the rest of us. I'm going to shovel some snow and install those Bakers.

Cheers!

·
Registered
10,843 Posts

Russell Day Long custom builds saddles.

·
Premium Member
19,870 Posts
Went for a ride on the Tour DCT. Wife said seat is less comfortable than 2010(Ultimate seat) and possibly a little less than the old OEM. It is more narrow. Says it is easier to hop on-she thinks it is shorter. She says the ride is MUCH SMOOTHER

·
Registered
932 Posts
My wife and I saw our first 2018 Red DCT Tour at our local Powersports dealer today. The 2018 looks great and I WANT ONE! But the wife sat on the rear seat and I sat in front of her and there is no room between us. I need a backrest and if I use the current Honda drop in backrest she will have it against her stomach. We will wait until an aftermarket rider backrest becomes available or a aftermarket seat that gives us (her) more seat room. She likes the way the rear backrest is upright and the passenger footrests fit her fine. I agree the 2018 is a smaller sleeker Wing. it looks great and I can't wait to test ride one, but there is no demo Wing's at our dealer. I'm thinking 2 Goldwing's in the garage. Our 2005 for the two of us touring together and pulling our Kwik Kamp and the 2018 for ME! There are times when she doesn't wish to go on trips or she has a girls trip planned and I would have the new Wing for those trips. We would not have the challenge of packing as the saddlebags are quite smaller than our '05. The Red DCT Tour is a beautiful bike but we do want to put our eyes on the Pearl Hawkeyes Blue DCT Tour.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
My wife said the passenger seat is too narrow. She liked the height of the backrest, but missed the wrap around arm rests to keep her centered.

She frowned when she saw the inside of the trunk and the lack of storage space.

The passenger's running boards were at the right height for her and the saddle bags did not hit the back of her calves.

There was enough room between the 2 of us, but I don't know if it has enough room for a rider's backrest.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
My wife and I saw our first 2018 Red DCT Tour at our local Powersports dealer today. The 2018 looks great and I WANT ONE! But the wife sat on the rear seat and I sat in front of her and there is no room between us. I need a backrest and if I use the current Honda drop in backrest she will have it against her stomach. We will wait until an aftermarket rider backrest becomes available or a aftermarket seat that gives us (her) more seat room. She likes the way the rear backrest is upright and the passenger footrests fit her fine. I agree the 2018 is a smaller sleeker Wing. it looks great and I can't wait to test ride one, but there is no demo Wing's at our dealer. I'm thinking 2 Goldwing's in the garage. Our 2005 for the two of us touring together and pulling our Kwik Kamp and the 2018 for ME! There are times when she doesn't wish to go on trips or she has a girls trip planned and I would have the new Wing for those trips. We would not have the challenge of packing as the saddlebags are quite smaller than our '05. The Red DCT Tour is a beautiful bike but we do want to put our eyes on the Pearl Hawkeyes Blue DCT Tour.
Most of the backrest manufacturers recommend not using a driver backrest when carrying a passenger. I think it increases the likelihood of injury to the passenger (in an accident) when the backrest is there... (YMMV).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts