1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kumho Tire sales plunge after quality scandal

Updated: 2011-09-13 13:16

By Yin Mingzhe (chinadaily.com.cn)

Kumho Tires Co (Kumho Tire), a Korean tires manufacturer and one of the largest tire suppliers in China, lost much of its market shares after a quality scandal, Beijing-based Securities Daily reported on Sept 13.
The State-run China Central Television (CCTV) reported this March that Kumho Tire used excessive amounts of recycled rubber as raw materials at its Tianjin factory, which diminishes its safety guarantee.
Sales plummeted from April to May in some regions of South China and in some cities the sales dropped 30 to 40 percent after the report. In Nanjing, Kumho Tire’s profits reached -64.06 million yuan ($10.03 million) in the first half of the year, the largest amount of deficit among foreign multinational firms, Securities Daily reported.
Li Jianan, an industry analyst of CIC Consulting, told the reporter that Kumho Tire has dominated more than 20 percent of the market share in passenger vehicle tires. After the scandal, its market share plunged, opening the opportunity for other firms to access to the market.
Double Coin Holdings (Anhui) Warrior Tire Co Ltd has already made its move. French tire maker Michelin has become a strategic investor in Double Coin, according to Securities

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2011-09/13/content_13675216.htm

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Thanks Halfling!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Always figured something was wrong with a tire called a Kum.......ho' ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
The chinese media

The chinese media do what is good for china and their news isn't always the truth. They recently reported that Toyota vehicles in China were having steering failures that led to many deaths but they werent going to ask toyota to recall, they were just reporting it so that the people would know about it. It is China's way of scaring people into buying a good chinese tire or a good chinese car versus the supposedly defective foreign product. Be careful where you get your info from..As far as kumho tires go, They, along with a dozen or so other brands are tested 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 200 feet down the hall from my work area. I work at Ford and we are testing tires for not only us but for other manufacturers too. If I hear of anything that sounds dangerous in tires, I'll let you know..

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
The chinese media do what is good for china and their news isn't always the truth. They recently reported that Toyota vehicles in China were having steering failures that led to many deaths but they werent going to ask toyota to recall, they were just reporting it so that the people would know about it. It is China's way of scaring people into buying a good chinese tire or a good chinese car versus the supposedly defective foreign product. Be careful where you get your info from..As far as kumho tires go, They, along with a dozen or so other brands are tested 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 200 feet down the hall from my work area. I work at Ford and we are testing tires for not only us but for other manufacturers too. If I hear of anything that sounds dangerous in tires, I'll let you know..
Yo are the man. Thanks Jolly.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
SCANDAL<

WooHoo, this means that I can buy em even cheaper. :bow:

Nothing like the free market, even in China.

Did a little over 6,000 miles on the Rockies Gold event, towing a HF trailer for 4000 of those miles of speeds up to 80 mph.

Tire worked great even through the heavy thunderstorms and the wind gusts up to 45 mph while it was raining.

Only pulled over once due to the rain, as well as many cages, as it was downpouring so hard you couldn't see the road. Wind gusts to 65 the news said.
Kumho worked great and didn't even lose air during the entire trip.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Interesting report.
What will be especially interesting is to hear if there are any reports of failed tires or recalls...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Kumho..

Interesting report.
What will be especially interesting is to hear if there are any reports of failed tires or recalls...
I seriously doubt you'll ever hear another word about it..

·
Registered
957 Posts
dang i'll just have to start riding with the fire suit on i guess !:roll:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Well, I've been wanting to try the Pirelli anyway.

·
Registered
393 Posts
it would only effect the ones made in china then exported, which is not many of them.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, I'm not trashing Kumho here, just posting something interesting I ran into is all. I love my Kumho and it's now down to the wear bars so time for a replacement. I'm going with the Pirelli Run Flat this time and see how that compares.

·
Registered
876 Posts
That is what scares many riders from c/t's on MC. The safest thing to do is to stick with the recommendation from Honda, a motorcycle tire for a motorcycle!

Hey bob, how many miles are actually on your bike?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
That is what scares many riders from c/t's on MC. The safest thing to do is to stick with the recommendation from Honda, a motorcycle tire for a motorcycle!

Or even safer yet, stay home.

Once again we ask: Why do you follow the 'advice' of people who have NO experience?
Where is the body of scientific evidence* to support the claim of "danger"?

When you were a teenager, did you go blind like they said you would if you... oh, never mind.

"Thousands of riders, tens of millions of miles of actual experience. But what do we know?"

*Have you heard of 'the scientific method'? or do you believe the earth is 6,000 years old because someone told you it was so?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
With all the folks from this board (including me) loving the mileage and other cost-per-mile factor, etc; this must have been a good "error". Slice the price in half and keep 'em coming!!!!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
bgross,
I will continue to trust my Kumho and my hairy palm from back when. THank you very much.:?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
True Confession time:

Well now that everyone on the 'Darkside' chimed in, how about someone who has taken a turn. I had a CT on my GW. (I've been a down right snake in the grass) Had it for 3 or so thousand miles. I found all aspects of a CT an advantage except for two. You know when you lean a motorcycle tire you can pretty much go around anything with the proper amount of counter-steering. With a CT the tire wants to stay on the flat edge. So much so that its easier to stand next to your bike and move it. You can ride on the road for long distances with a remarkable less amount of road fatigue because the tire rides on it's flat edge really well. It's making evasive counter steering leans around objects in the road your going to be at a disadvantaged and feel uncomfortable. Turns will always feel funny when the tire rides on it's edge, but you get used to that. It's mushy when you lean so that's why finding the right tire pressure occupies much of Darkside riders time known as the sweet spot. Did I like it, yes/no. Would I do it again, probably not, only if I started to put an enormous amount of miles on my bike and changed tires twice a year. It also depends where you spend most of your time on the flat profile of the tire or making turns or maneuvers around objects is not common enough to make it a drag. I happen to live near the mountains and turns are a way of life. Here's another aspect you should factor into your decision and this one's important; when they mount the tire, the reason it takes so much pressure is because there are actually two ridges the bead has to pass before the bead seats. It takes a huge amount of pressure to get the bead to cross the inside ridge to get to the outside bead. It's not uncommon for the tire to blow during this process because often times it can take pressure in excess of 90-100 psi. The tire comes with a label stating do not mount with pressures higher than somewhere around 40-45 I don't remember. I watched what the installer went through to mount my tire and the whole time I rode it when I leaned or cruised at high speeds the thought would cross my mind of how much structural damage occurred during the mounting process that may cost me my life when I put the tires under performance challenges. Make the decision for yourself, but you never really stop worrying about how much damage was caused to the tire to get it to seat. Yes tires are expensive. Yes I've gone over every question your contemplating. That's my take. A added benefit is how worked up Darksiders get when you mess with them.
Cute.

Meanwhile, back at the Scientific Method....

Are you able to recognize the difference between 1) your lack of confidence on a car tire (a few thousand mile on your bike?) and 2) "car tires are dangerous and shouldn't be used?

One is completely subjective and the other is disinformation, offered as though it was empirical fact.

Worked up? Naw, just annoyed.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Funny Ducbob,

You do know that these car tires are the same ones they mount on car rims using the same if not more air pressure to mount them on the car rims, just like they do on the motorcycle rim.

Once you get more experience riding your bike, after you switch back (your decision of course) to the mt, have fun putting air in for the leakage every week, day etc.
Too bad my BMT doesn't leak like that. But then you are right, it wasn't built for the cycle rim. Must be why it works better then.

Just my own experience on the BMT's and the MT's.

I like your pic above of the burning moto and the MT tire's it has on there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts