GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were talking to someone who was about as high up in the motorcycle world as you can get. If I said his name you would know who he was and what company he ran. When discussing the future of the industry and Honda in particular he used one small phrase that he said was how he felt that Honda treated its dealers and customers: "benign neglect". I couldn't disagree.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
We were talking to someone who was about as high up in the motorcycle world as you can get. If I said his name you would know who he was and what company he ran. When discussing the future of the industry and Honda in particular he used one small phrase that he said was how he felt that Honda treated its dealers and customers: "benign neglect". I couldn't disagree.
Brought on by perhaps an air of arrogance from Honda. :cry:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I owned a Yamaha dealership in the mid-late 80's and the parent corp. was the same way.They had no concerns for the dealer at all.Their only concern was how much product we could store for them.It's all a numbers game fwith "0" concern for the little guy. Being on the front lines one would think these big corperations would care more about those that were selling and buying their products.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn::agree:nuff said

·
Registered
660 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly!

My bike had an issue shifting from 4th to 5th. Seemed to me to be the transmission issue alot of others on this board experienced (bent shift fork).

I called for an appointment 11/20/08. They gave me an appointment for 12/9/08.

My bike is still in the shop. They would have had the bike to me this past Saturday (1/24/09), but the mechanic punctured a coolant hose. I now MAY get my bike back 1/31/09 (if nothing else is wrong).

Yup, "benign neglect" sums it up well.....

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I don't understand the pourpose of this thread. It sounds to me like you're stepping on your own d**k. ?????

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Franchises of any kind can be a big screw for the franchisee. Your owned. You do what we say or we'll make you pay and if you don't pay we'll make you pay. Weird stuff.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Sounds like Honda to me. I have owned Honda's for over 30 years and talk to the owner of a Honda dealership often. It seems like it is often the customer and the dealership against Honda with any issue.
Most find they can only bang there head up against the wall for so long before they give up and either just comply with Honda or get out of the business with them.
You would think that with the world economy the way it is Honda would be bending over backwards to keep both the loyal dealerships and loyal customers as happy as they could. What goes around comes around and sooner or later another motorcycle company WILL make a touring bike as good or better then Honda has.
Then watch the masses leave Honda touring bikes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was in business most of my working life and companies are that way now. All they think about is market share. These companies are being run by people that have had no selling experience or grass roots type training. I am retired now and would hate to be in bussiness now and then goverment is another story.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Many manufacturers see dealers or retailers simply as necessary evils.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly!

My bike had an issue shifting from 4th to 5th. Seemed to me to be the transmission issue alot of others on this board experienced (bent shift fork).

I called for an appointment 11/20/08. They gave me an appointment for 12/9/08.

My bike is still in the shop. They would have had the bike to me this past Saturday (1/24/09), but the mechanic punctured a coolant hose. I now MAY get my bike back 1/31/09 (if nothing else is wrong).

Yup, "benign neglect" sums it up well.....
without more info, it sounds to me that most of this is a dealer issue - not Honda.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
What a surprise. Corporations looking out for themselves. Same old, same old.

My experience has been lukewarm with my local Dealer and about the same with Honda of North America.

Overall, there seems to be a lack of experienced Goldwing motorcycle mechanics. A problem properly diagnosed by a knowledgeable mechanic followed by proper representation to Honda (with respect to warranty claim) could make a big difference on what is repaired, replaced or covered.

I don’t even know if this suits this thread, but it’s out now.

BG

·
Registered
57 Posts
IMHO --- Honda is reaping what they have sown... once they turn customers against them... it takes lots to time to renew interest..

cosmic
I could not agree more. I am in business where we have to be our best every time. There are no second chances so customer service is a MUST for us. It seems that businesses have gotten so full of themselves that they feel like they are doing you a favor to let you buy their goods or services.

Honda has seemed to have lost their focus and have forgotten the days when they were fighting for a piece of the American pie. There is an old bible verse that goes like this ........Pride comes before the fall. It would be to their interest to take care of their dealers as well as their customers.

For me I love Honda motorcycles. I have two of them in my garage right now and love riding them. They are fast, comfortable, hi tech and reliable. However, when they need to go to the shop for warranty work, I hold my breath and grit my teeth. The dealer keeps the bike way too long and it feels like they are holding my bike hostage. The dealer in my case seems to be the one making me not want another Honda. I do not have this problem with my BMW or Harley.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well I kinda look at it like this. It is not just Honda. All dealerships, all manufacturers seem to be about the same. I as I am sure many of you have learned, you have to go to a dealer to purchase a new bike, car, lawnmower, whatever, but we do learn early in the game, that is about as far as it goes. None of us like to return.

If a serious warranty situation does occur, whether it be Honda or Ford Motor Company, it can be a fight.

I myself prefer to never see the dealer or manufacturer once the sale is done, I already know I will get poor service, higher prices and incompetent work.

Just went through it with my backhoe, brand new, bolt fell out of the control linkage on the job, in the dirt somewhere, went to the dealer and .......yep they charged me for the bolt. It is a special bolt with a shoulder on it to fit a section of the linkage and the nut is supposed to be punched to stop it from falling off, evidently it was not. So I just pay for the bolt and go fix it, it is what I expect, from any dealer or manufacturer of anything. Not just Honda, all of them.

The 1800 is sure a great machine, so they will not spoil my day, but they may never see me if I have my way. I already know what they represent, no big surprise.
Kit

1 - 20 of 32 Posts