GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know about the "Ebay Scams"....in fact, we have discussed them many times on this board.

I was surfing through Ebay today and came across this while I was looking at a Lambretta listing. I just found it interesting that I actually found this on Ebay...so I thought I would share it with you.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Motorcyle-Scams ... 1:SEARCH:3

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Great info. Most of it common-sense, but so many people have been scammed on e-Bay, I guess common-sense isn't quite as common as I would expect it to be.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Most of it is just realizing if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true. I only answer emails through "My eBay" email. You wont believe how many fake emails you get. Even emails that look like they are just an update from eBay are fake. I had one the other day that was an email telling of items that were like an item I didn't win. The link went to a page that was just like an eBay page but wasn't eBay. I knew it was going to be a fake because anything that goes through eBay will be in your "My eBay" mail. If it isn't there it isn't from or through eBay.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a similar experience on Ebay, bought a 16,000 wing from a gentleman in Florida who wanted a 3k deposit. I responded that If I win the auction, I will be on his door step with all the money. I was new to Ebay and not very confortable with sending 3k to a stranger. He said OK, transaction was complete. Two happy customers. On the other hand, I was bidding on a cycle on Ebay and when the bidding went higher than I wanted, I bailed. I received 10 second chance offers on the bike I had bid for. All of them bogus, I reported these to Ebay. Buyers watch out!!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I bought an $18k car off eBay and flew to Ft. Wayne, IN to see it in person. Paid 100% after inspecting it and drove it home (some 2000 miles!) :D

I've bought many other items of lesser value and paid for those before seeing them (including one Wing). No problems thus far, but I'm very careful before bidding.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I guess I just don't get it. It would have to be a real hum-dinger of a deal to make it worth flying to another state, IMHO. On readily available things, IE: Goldwings, I would pay a little more to stay local.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
riffraff said:
I guess I just don't get it. It would have to be a real hum-dinger of a deal to make it worth flying to another state, IMHO. On readily available things, IE: Goldwings, I would pay a little more to stay local.
I sold my '86 GL1200 to someone from PA. He flew in to Chicago, used my neighbors' shuttle service to come to my house, then rode it back to PA. It was for a bike that was only about $4400; he (and I) was happy.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Interesting!!!! I clicked on the Yes button at the bottom to vote in the poll "Was this guide helpful?" and it took me to an Ebay sign on page. Was that a real Ebay page or was that article a phishing scam?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a real Ebay page. I was looking up Lambretta on Ebay and that was over in the upper left corner of the page as link. I clicked on it and that came up.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Look over to the left side of the page under "Related Guides".....

http://collectibles.search.ebay.com/lam ... QsacatZ417

I just went there and realized it's a "Different Scam Article".....but, that's where I found the article that's at the top of this thread.

What's even more interesting is that sometimes it's there and sometimes it not!.......Maybe it's me! :shock:

Well....Now it doesn't show up at all.....I don't know what to tell ya! :shock:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts