GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a chrome lower cowl and EC driving lights from HDL. I went to my local dealer to have them installed since I don't yet have the tools nor the time to do so. :cry:

I did quite a bit of research on this site before making my purchase and felt especially comfortable when I finally did. But here's the rest of the story... :oops:

The local mechanic, (who has been with the dealer for 33 years and has a stellar reputation) insisted that I would NOT be satisfied with the EC driving lights and all but refused to intall them. :? He strongly suggested that the Honda kit was much better and would last longer. He especially focused in on the failure of the springs over time on the EC lights and the fact that they call for a hole to be drilled into the cowl.

Long story short, I ended up purchasing the Honda driving lights (at literally twice the price) :shock: and have sent the ECs back for a refund. :banghead:

Has anyone else encountered a similar situation? I felt a bit helpless in dealing with the mechanic since I have no previous experience with Goldwings (having purchased my first this past August) and having just gotten back on a bike after a 20 year lay off. :oops:

TIA
:bow:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
lights

The honda line lights suck compared to the EC lights.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
The mechanic is just plain wrong or has been told to by Mgmt. to push the O.E. Honda accessories.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Jim....

I actually did the opposite. I bought the Hondaline OEM fog lights and planned to install them myself. However, after reading all of the positive feedback about EC Plantinum Series (easy install, brighter lights, cheaper cost, excellent quality, good relations with Lewis, etc), I actually sold my Hondaline and purchased (just today) the EC fog lights.

Too much positive feedback about this product and Lewis to ingore.

I will be installing these lights when I receive them in the next couple of weeks but my Honda dealer was very willing to install them on my behalf. In fact the Honda dealer had a number of the Show Chrome /Big Bike Fog lights for sale as that product is cheaper than the Hondaline.

I'm really perplexed as to why your mechanic would suggest what he did.

Anyway...any additional light is better than having none at all.

You and I have to buy Fred's DVD's - my next purchase.

Zeebo

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Jim - what part of Houston is the dealer located in? Just curious as I know one of the dealer very well and would be curious to ask them what they would have done.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I got the E.C. Platinum Series and I'm 100% satisfied with them. I have about 5000 miles with them on all the time day or night while I'm riding I never turn them off and I can see great at night with them.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jjsC6 said:
Jim - what part of Houston is the dealer located in? Just curious as I know one of the dealer very well and would be curious to ask them what they would have done.
If you want to pm me I'll give you the info.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
jamcgowan said:
He especially focused in on the failure of the springs over time on the EC lights and the fact that they call for a hole to be drilled into the cowl.
I'd really like to have a chat with the dealer. Could you PM me with the name please? We sold almost 2000 sets of lights last year. I can hold in one hand the number of "failures" on the springs. When some dealers do not make any money in the sale of the part, some are less apt to install them for you. Some mind you...not all.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tourman said:
I would of walked out as soon as he refused to install the EC.

That's crazy
I do appreciate your position on this...however, I was between a rock and a hard place.

This will just have to be chalked up to experience. Next time I will go elsewhere assuming the circumstances are a bit different.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zeebo said:
Jim....

I actually did the opposite. I bought the Hondaline OEM fog lights and planned to install them myself. However, after reading all of the positive feedback about EC Plantinum Series (easy install, brighter lights, cheaper cost, excellent quality, good relations with Lewis, etc), I actually sold my Hondaline and purchased (just today) the EC fog lights.

Too much positive feedback about this product and Lewis to ingore.

I will be installing these lights when I receive them in the next couple of weeks but my Honda dealer was very willing to install them on my behalf. In fact the Honda dealer had a number of the Show Chrome /Big Bike Fog lights for sale as that product is cheaper than the Hondaline.

I'm really perplexed as to why your mechanic would suggest what he did.

Anyway...any additional light is better than having none at all.

You and I have to buy Fred's DVD's - my next purchase.

Zeebo
Believe it or not, I recently ordered the DVDs. :?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lewis/EC said:
jamcgowan said:
He especially focused in on the failure of the springs over time on the EC lights and the fact that they call for a hole to be drilled into the cowl.
I'd really like to have a chat with the dealer. Could you PM me with the name please? We sold almost 2000 sets of lights last year. I can hold in one hand the number of "failures" on the springs. When some dealers do not make any money in the sale of the part, some are less apt to install them for you. Some mind you...not all.
I have PM'd you...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess that part of my dilemma too is that I don't yet know any other GL1800 owners in my local area from whom I can get good, solid, advice and assistance. Sometimes it's hard being a newby... :wink:

Hopefully that will change...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lewis/EC said:
jamcgowan said:
Lewis,

I want to make it perfectly clear that I in no way am intending to denigrate your fine product. I am seriously aggravated that this has happened and knowing what I do now, wish I could go back to the lights I had originally purchased.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the mechanic had not installed your product before and rather than admit that, stuck it to me.

:evil:

G

·
Jim , maybe a different perspective may remove the sour taste you must have by now.
I guess you need to ask yourself, what do I want out of these lights ? It appears most guys have them or only really use them as a "see me better item." If that's the case , these OEM lights will function just fine . If you do a LOT of riding in the fog these will probably work ok as well, it depends what you are used to .
Your mechanic may have a point about the hole, I personally hate to drill any holes in my bikes anywhere, unless I am convinced there is NO other way . Can't blame him it's just his own way of being fussy. I doubt he was just trying to steer you toward "the highest mark up specials". As far the spring failure rate is concerned , Lewis has already chimed in .
Now if you are really into pushing the darkness away, you will soon be adding to your light arsenal and probably won't even notice the "fog lights", at least that has been my experience.
So yes, you paid a bit much for the OEM, but what the hey, after all you are riding a $20,000 plus Motorcycle .

BTW, for those who are riding a new "bagger" the OEM Kit has the only matching switch that will work , so... just enjoy your ride , and be so much the wiser for it.

Take care. :)

·
Registered
19,376 Posts
Honda of Houston will install happilly and their labor is low. Contact Wild West out in Katy they do good work too. Also, Baytown Accessories makes his living installing accessories and tires and works all the major bike show. Call him at 800-547-7613 you have a little ride though. You can watch him put accessories or tires on-ask for Edd. The EC fog lights are known to be the best and come with easy directions. A 4 beer job.

Jim I live in Richmond. You are welcome to ride with Katy Chapter W of GWRRA. We usually ride every Saturday. This weekend we are riding Sunday and on Monday.

PM me if interested and I will have the chapter send you more info.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Strider said:
Jim , maybe a different perspective may remove the sour taste you must have by now.
I guess you need to ask yourself, what do I want out of these lights ? It appears most guys have them or only really use them as a "see me better item." If that's the case , these OEM lights will function just fine . If you do a LOT of riding in the fog these will probably work ok as well, it depends what you are used to .
Your mechanic may have a point about the hole, I personally hate to drill any holes in my bikes anywhere, unless I am convinced there is NO other way . Can't blame him it's just his own way of being fussy. I doubt he was just trying to steer you toward "the highest mark up specials". As far the spring failure rate is concerned , Lewis has already chimed in .
Now if you are really into pushing the darkness away, you will soon be adding to your light arsenal and probably won't even notice the "fog lights", at least that has been my experience.
So yes, you paid a bit much for the OEM, but what the hey, after all you are riding a $20,000 plus Motorcycle .

BTW, for those who are riding a new "bagger" the OEM Kit has the only matching switch that will work , so... just enjoy your ride , and be so much the wiser for it.

Take care. :)
Strider,

Thanks for the kind words...I must admit that I am feeling a bit beat up by some of the comments.

I'll try to acquire a thicker skin...and better common sense too. I just should have gone with my gut on this one and gone elsewhere to have them installed. My bad...err...school of hard knocks lesson.

I sure could have used that extra $150.00 they charged...I had some other things I wanted to get for my ride. :banghead:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
laen said:
Honda of Houston will install happilly and their labor is low. Contact Wild West out in Katy they do good work too. I have no other experience with local dealers.
I bought my ride from H of H but I live in Sugar Land and there is another dealer much closer. Oops did I give it away...?

Oh well, live and learn.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts