GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently on a trip from KC to Utah/Colorado. On an open stretch of remote, smooth two lane highway, I turned up the wick. When I got close to 100, I switched to cruise control and used the up button to know when I exactly hit 100. I noted the cruise speed display stopped displaying above 100 MPH.

Later that day, I was studying the speedometer gauge markings and noted the 0 MPH marking is vertically down, at the 6:00 position, as I've observed before. But what interested me was that 112 MPH is vertically up, at the 12:00 position, 180 degrees opposite of 0 MPH. (The 110 tick mark is just a bit off vertically, counterclockwise, and 115 is just a bit off clockwise.) Got me wondering if this was just a coincidence or intentional by design. I'm thinking intentional. If so, I find it interesting that the Honda engineers really get into some granular design discussions of less important things regarding the bike.

BTW, the stability of the bike at high speed was the best of any of the dozen or so previous bikes I've owned. I didn't keep the speed up very long as visions of suicidal critters, radar guns, dipsy doodles in the road surface, etc began to creep into my mind.

The total trip mileage was 2600 miles and I averaged 42.6 MPG. Was pleased with that because I did many hours at 75+ MPH, some nasty Kansas winds, and plenty of mountain riding.

·
Registered
2019 Red/Black Tour DCT airbag
836 Posts
I think it's just that it's a metric thing. My kilometre speedo has the 180kph tick (at 12 o'clock) exactly opposite the zero. 180 is 111.8mph.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I will agree about the stability at high speeds. Had the bike 105 and 114 mph, according to my Zumo590 I know it is supposed to be limited to 111 mph, for about three miles and had no issues or concerns while maneuvering the bike.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Supposedly it will do more than 112 using the cruise control "+" toggle. I have not personally tested it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have “seen” 120 mph on my 03 and was about all it had, but Baker wings and bigger Madstad windshield didn’t help I’m sure. Bike was rock solid for that short period of time.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
BTW, the stability of the bike at high speed was the best of any of the dozen or so previous bikes I've owned. I didn't keep the speed up very long as visions of suicidal critters, radar guns, dipsy doodles in the road surface, etc began to creep into my mind.
My 04 FJR 1300 was rock solid at 145 plus the many times I would run it up there for a bit in the Silver state.

Nevada has some remote and really smooth as butter roads when it comes to triple digit fun runs.

• Love
Reactions: gkarasik

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,233 Posts
My 04 FJR 1300 was rock solid at 145 plus the many times I would run it up there for a bit in the Silver state.

Nevada has some remote and really smooth as butter roads when it comes to triple digit fun runs.
So was my 06. Two extraordinary motorcycles, the FJRs and Goldwings.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,233 Posts
A fellow in Greece is making and selling a box the supposedly increases the speed limit without messing with anything else. Try at your own risk.
Details with pictures of a 2021 Wing and install process.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=69XDwFDkoV0
Thanks. Even though I no longer have any interest in going that fast, I have a deep appreciation for the sheer orneriness of the human spirit when told what we can't do, for the unlimited time and energy we will invest for no reason other than to say, "Oh yes I can," and for the creativity we muster to defy limits.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Thanks. Even though I no longer have any interest in going that fast, I have a deep appreciation for the sheer orneriness of the human spirit as it reacts to being told what we can't do, to the creativity we can muster to overcome those limits, and to the near infinite effort we're willing to spend for no other reason than to say, "Oh yes I can."
"Respectively". She was wearing me out with that word...

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,233 Posts
"Respectively". She was wearing me out with that word...
Even though I had no interest in going that fast, there was a time I would have bought and installed one of those just to protest what feels like arbitrary nanny-ism.

Reactions: jryan19
1 - 20 of 48 Posts