GL1800Riders Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,264 Posts
Haven't we been here before? The bike was designed for international markets, not just North America.

There are no speed limits in the home country of Japan above 120 km/h. So, a limit at ~180 km/h gives you all the headroom necessary to travel on highways. Anywhere.

Europe has the same limits; passed in 2019 and going into effect in 2022.
Speaking only for myself, as someone who has no desire to go faster than 80, I agree with you there's sufficient speed available, and I believe you're correct about why speed is limited. I simply want a direct, honest answer, not some obfuscatory blather about the capability of the cooling system.

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Just for the record, I've had bikes that would do 150+...doesn't mean I rode them that fast all the time. I don't intend to ride my GW at triple digit speeds, but if the bike didn't have a speed limiter, I wouldn't be against finding out just how fast it would go...I think there are quite a few people in this forum who would do the same...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Several years ago law enforcement, no matter what state you live in, lost every bit of their sense of humor regarding triple-digit speeds. Call that "nanny state" if you like.

In more than a few states being clocked at 100+ is going to put you straight into the back seat of the cruiser, in handcuffs. Felony reckless driving. Mandatory court appearance, with an attorney.

If you can afford the dollar hit, go for it.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
2,095 Posts
Who rides 120 MPH for extended periods of time? I'm talking about having a higher top speed for bragging rights. Who wants to hear from a Harley owner that their bike has a higher top speed? Certainly not me, especially when I KNOW the GW would have a much higher top speed without the limiter...
I prefer to just leave the HD in the dust, and already coasting down from 100 MPH before they even break 80...

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
2,095 Posts
Reactions: gkarasik
41 - 48 of 48 Posts