GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I frequent a garden tractor web-site and the subject came up about the
amount of oil refill capacity stated in your manual compared to the amount of oil drained out.

Someone drain his oil, bought the number of quarts stated in the manual,
then found he add to much. Reason given was a lot of oil stays in a engine,
so the stated amount of oil in the manual is not always correct.

Some even go as far as measuring the oil coming out, then replacing it with that same amount.

Did anyone find this out draining your oil in your Goldwing?

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
There is an oil capacity for a dry engine and a drain capacity. The Wing shows both if I remember correctly.
As for myself, I drain the oil, usually get just over 3 1/2 qts. remove the filter and put in 4 qt. I also run a larger filter, so it holds a bit more than some. When run until hot, and allowed to settle for 20 ninutes or so, it is spot on every time. Between the top and center mark. Good enough.
There are plenty other things to lose sleep over, so no need to sweat the small stuff.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I always pull the drain plug and let it drain overnight. That drip, drip, drip for an extra 12 hours really gets a lot more dirty oil out.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
I also just drain, change the filter, and add 4 qts. Always seems to be the right level...

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
After all these years, I just drain the oil (and filter oil) into a pan where I've marked the level the dirty oil comes to. As long is it comes to that level, and it always does, I assume things are OK, put in 4 quarts and zip her up. I don't think I've checked the oil level with the dipstick in, say, the last 5 years.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Are you worried about getting moisture inside you engine?
The crank case is vented so it wouldn't make a difference. But little critters could check it out.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
imho...

For the first 60,000 miles,
there are only 3 things you HAVE to do to a GL1800:
1) change the tires
2) replace the brake pads
3) change the oil

and... if you're really cheap (and dumb),
you probably could skip the oil changes.

:)

Dennis

·
Registered
283 Posts
imho...

For the first 60,000 miles,
there are only 3 things you HAVE to do to a GL1800:
1) change the tires
2) replace the brake pads
3) change the oil

and... if you're really cheap (and dumb),
you probably could skip the oil changes.

:)

Dennis
What about the valve adjustment..........

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
What about the valve adjustment..........
re valves... I checked valves my first wing at 68,000
and they were fine.

I'm not suggesting that one SHOULD do nothing for the first 60K miles
... I'm merely observing that the bike is so well built, that you COULD do nothing for the first 60K miles.
(except, as I said, tires and brakes... they WILL NOT last for 60K miles).

Dennis

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I always pull the drain plug and let it drain overnight. That drip, drip, drip for an extra 12 hours really gets a lot more dirty oil out.

+1. :agree: Same here. I do all my vehicles like that. Most of the oil change mechanic's put the plug back in ($$$) when that heavy flow stops to get ready for the next customer.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Never a dumb question

Yep! No alarming amount of moisture is getting in by leaving a drain plug out over night. But, that's just one opinion.
I was just asking a question. By the way, I would never leave the drain plug out over night as it doesn't make sense to the last few drops of oil.

We can still ask questions in the USA without ridicule - right?

I grew up and was told there were never any dumb questions. How about you?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Are you worried about getting moisture inside you engine?
That would only be a problem if you had a flood. The same level of relative humidity would be in your crankcase regardless if the drain plug were there or not. Do you think that the engine is hermetically sealed?

Jeff..

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I was just asking a question. By the way, I would never leave the drain plug out over night as it doesn't make sense to the last few drops of oil.
OK
We can still ask questions in the USA without ridicule - right?
Wasn't meant to ridicule but it seems I have so, I be sorry.
There's enough ridicule on this board without me doing it!

I grew up and was told there were never any dumb questions. How about you?
Apparently the one I just asked was dumb for I meant no ridicule!
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

·
Registered
224 Posts
That would only be a problem if you had a flood. The same level of relative humidity would be in your crankcase regardless if the drain plug were there or not. Do you think that the engine is hermetically sealed?

Jeff..
Nope - just a lot less exposed surface area with the oil in place.

What the hell - can't I ask a question???

Ok - I have a question for you: how long would you leave the oil drained and the plug out: One day, two days, one week, one yea..... At some point, the inside of the engine will rust!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Nope - just a lot less exposed surface area with the oil in place.

What the hell - can't I ask a question???

Ok - I have a question for you: how long would you leave the oil drained and the plug out: One day, two days, one week, one yea..... At some point, the inside of the engine will rust!!
I said overnight. I haven't measured it, but I would guess another 10-12 ounces will drip out. Letting the oil drip over night doesn't cause me any stress or worry at all. If it is going to cause you a lot of stress, don't do it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts