GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I get a call from a local shop. They'd installed an aftermarket alternator, the customer left for about a week, and returned because he started having symptoms of a no charging situation again. Upon testing, the replacement alternator was not putting out. So they order in another, go to replace it, and find that the alternator's shaft had sheared between the splines and in front of alternator's front seal (the broken shaft was about 1" long). My reply was "that it probably has an ADG issue," and they sent their customer to me. It came with an alternator not installed, and the new aftermarket one sitting in the box on the seat. Upon further questioning to the shop, apparently the original alternator, the OEM one that was remove, had a shaft that had sheared too.

Although I know of a guy who had welded his ADG together in the UK, and he reported shafts breaking too, but I've not known an ADG to go bad and break alternator shafts.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Two broken Alternator Shafts? Wow, I wouldn't want to own that repair without having had a real up close and personal visit with the ADG and all of its associated components.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Year??

·
IronMan
17,136 Posts
The other day I get a call from a local shop. They'd installed an aftermarket alternator, the customer left for about a week, and returned because he started having symptoms of a no charging situation again. Upon testing, the replacement alternator was not putting out. So they order in another, go to replace it, and find that the alternator's shaft had sheared between the splines and in front of alternator's front seal (the broken shaft was about 1" long). My reply was "that it probably has an ADG issue," and they sent their customer to me. It came with an alternator not installed, and the new aftermarket one sitting in the box on the seat. Upon further questioning to the shop, apparently the original alternator, the OEM one that was remove, had a shaft that had sheared too.

Although I know of a guy who had welded his ADG together in the UK, and he reported shafts breaking too, but I've not known an ADG to go bad and break alternator shafts.
AINT THE PURPOSE OF ADG TO BE A DAMPNER ? ALL THAT TORQUE/ PRESSURE HAS TO GO SOMEWHERE . APPARENTLY ALTERNATOR DOESNT WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH :unsure::cautious:

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two broken Alternator Shafts? Wow, I wouldn't want to own that repair without having had a real up close and personal visit with the ADG and all of its associated components.
That's the part that is concerning. Of coarse I don't want to pull an engine unless it has to be. On the other hand, it is not like I have a "known good" OEM alternator to put in it to see if the shaft shears. Fortunately I do have the splined tool Honda uses to test the 2006+ ADGs. I'll be putting some torque on the ADG today to see if I feel any spring pressure ... but by design, how could I not ... it's not like the internal wear can get so bad that the springs break of turn sideways !!!

On the flip side, the rider has poor hearing, he states that he never heard "death growl," and no one ever mentioned to him that he had it !!!

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts