GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 2005 GL1800 ALL STOCK. STEERING SOME TIMES IS VERY HEAVY, I NOTICE IT AT LOW SPEEDS ONLY. IT FEELS EXACLY LIKE I HAVE ABOUT 15 PSI IN FRONT TIRE. TIRE PRESSURE 41/41. ANY IDEAS. I DO HAVE THE DREADED STEERING SHAKE AND ALWAYS HAVE.

·
Registered
366 Posts
T Moore,

The stock Honda headset bearings/races are pretty poor quality. I suspect that your headset races have developed flat spots...!

Probably time to install a set of "ALL BALLS" tapered roller bearings. It may not cure the WOBBLE but it sure might reduce it.

Judging from the gazillion posts on the wobble subject, the consensus seems to be that tires, more than any other single factor, are responsible for the wobbles.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
T MOORE said:
I HAVE A 2005 GL1800 ALL STOCK. STEERING SOME TIMES IS VERY HEAVY, I NOTICE IT AT LOW SPEEDS ONLY. IT FEELS EXACLY LIKE I HAVE ABOUT 15 PSI IN FRONT TIRE. TIRE PRESSURE 41/41. ANY IDEAS. I DO HAVE THE DREADED STEERING SHAKE AND ALWAYS HAVE.
I doubt your 05 has bearing problems unless they were improperly preloaded at the factory. Here's what the 2005 Service manual says to check the preload. See if your's falls within spec and tell us the results.

STEERING BEARING PRE-LOAD
Remove the front fairing (page 2-10).
Support the motorcycle securely using safety stands or a hoist and raise the front wheel off the ground.
Position the steering stem to the straight ahead position.
Hook a spring scale to the fork tube between the fork top and bottom bridges.
Make sure there is no cable, wire harness or hose interference.
Pull the spring scale keeping it at a right angle to the steering stem.
Read the scale at the point where the steering stem just starts to move.
STEERING BEARING PRE-LOAD:
8.8 – 13.7 N (0.9 – 1.4 kgf, 2.0 – 3.1 lbf)

If the readings do not fall within the limits, readjust the steering bearing adjustment.
Install the front fairing (page 2-10).

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I have that problem in certain areas here in ChicagoLand. It felt heavy, and the bike seemed to want to meander left and right over half the width of the road. Then, the problem would go away. After awhile, I noticed that the Blacktop in this particular section, and others, had worn down somewhat, and the car/truck tires had worn grooves in it where their tires are. Suffice it to say that, I now ride on the 'Crown' in the center of the road (unless it rained) and the problem is gone. Just an idea to look at.

Who Would've thunk it?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: STEERING

T MOORE said:
WHAT IS A TUNNEL FILLER,WHAT DOES IT DO, AND WEAR DO YOU GET ONE. THANKS
You want to know where to get one before even knowing what it is? Classic symptom of accessoryitis. ROTFLMAO!

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
Other than road surface and taking your word for no mods; I remind you to check the small stuff. Make sure the various cables and hoses are routed properly through and about the handlebars and keepers. I think Fred's pbase photo journal shows the routing in regard to steering bearing torque check. THe handlebars have passageways within their under sides where some of these "things" are routed and if one of the two little screws have fallen out of either of the two covers under there, a cover could be hanging down and binding at times.

I do not think the Honda steering stem bearings are of inferior quality; they may not be the best type for the application, but the quality is good. One of the reasons I have not installed my set of AllBalls is that I am uncertian of their quality, they may be a Chineese or Pakistani made bearing and some of those seem to have earned a poor reputation. Japaneese, American, and English bearings tend to get better praise; deserved differences or not, I dunno.

prs

·
Registered
381 Posts
e98x09 said:
T Moore,

The stock Honda headset bearings/races are pretty poor quality. I suspect that your headset races have developed flat spots...!
could you define this "poor quality" please?

I have heard this said befor but what is poor quality? compared to what, and dont say taper bearings thats not comparing like for like.

to check for flat spots in/on the headraces sit on the bike while its on the main stand and get some one to sit on the pillion such that the front wheel is off the ground. Move the handlebars left and right slowly. If there are flat spots you will feel then as little clicks or a rumble on the bars. I doubt a warenty repair would be considered as this is just normal wear and tear for head bearings.

Nigel F

D

·
0 Posts
Begging the question . . .

Here's a remote possibility. The bike hasn't been ridden in a week or to, and it is cold out. When tires have "sat" and are very cold, the handling / turn in, etc. will suck until the tires are really warmed up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts