GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GPS screen went blank a couple weeks ago and I've been trying to get it back ever since. I've had the meter panel and GPS unit out several times and checked everything that the manual says to check. Now, the GPS screen is back for about 30 minutes when the bike first starts cold. Does not work after the bike warms up. Do the dealers have a computer program to diagnose this kind of problem? The bike is an '07 with 160k miles.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today, after almost 3 weeks, it's working again but the colors are a little less bright than usual. We'll see what happens when I ride 1800 miles this weekend to WOS

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today, after almost 3 weeks, it's working again but the colors are a little less bright than usual. We'll see what happens when I ride 1800 miles this weekend to WOS
Well, I had no gps screen for the 600 miles I rode on Thursday on the way to WOS but for the other 300 miles on Friday, it was working fine.
Then it quit working again on Saturday and didn't work for the whole 900 miles to get home and hasn't come back yet 2 days later.
I can't believe I haven't gotten any suggestions yet for this problem. Is everyone stumped on this one?
I've had the meter panel and also the GPS unit out several times to check the connectors and have checked all the wires for power, continuity or ground with everything checking out as per the manual.
HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Ok, I'm going to throw out some vague guesses here...

First of all, if it's starting up when you first start it and then shutting off, it's likely a thermal issue.

Something is taking heat from somewhere and losening something up.

Without knowing for certain what I am looking for, I'd say your best bet is to go out, ride like hell for a few miles until it shuts down, then open it up quickly and search for a hotspot in the panel or a connector going to it.

I wish I was more help, but I just don't know more than some general stuff from working with monitors and electronics.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Seabear for your input. Unfortunately, that's not the case so I don't believe it to be a heat issue.
It doesn't start up at all but the few times that it did, it stayed on. When I got to NC, I had just ridden 300 miles without it shutting off. The next day it didn't come on again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts