GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious about how other trikes handle on the interstate. I travel mostly the backroads and state roads when we ride. More leisurely ride in my opinion. Been riding back and forth to work lately taking the interstate. Got a 2018 Tour DCT on a CSC trike kit. It feels a bit squirrely when I get up around 70ish. Especially in traffic. I know the cars and trucks are displacing air causing turbulence but this seems a bit excessive to me. Is this about the norm or could something be wrong I might need to look into?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Not sure about rake angle on the 2018+ but I know on other GL1800's, depending on rake angle, it can feel a bit twitchy. The rake kits on earlier models usually run from 4⁰-6⁰ depending on how long the wheel base is. I know the CSC kits have some of the longest wheel bases so benefit more with a 6⁰ kit. The more of an angle, the more twitchy it can be. The key is light inputs and no quick changes. This usually gives a decent ride.

Squirelly is kind of a subjective term so not quite sure without more description about what is occurring. I know on mine, I had issues right after my conversion was done and would feel some intermittent vibrations when running at 60mph+. It would come and go. Also when doing left curves or sweepers at higher speeds, it felt uneasy and I would always have to slow down. I was concerned about this and thought it might have been a suspension issue. Turns out the rear OEM Ohtsu tires were bad. The CSC warranty picked up the tab for replacement tires. Once the new tires were on, the ride became way more enjoyable. Vibrations at all speeds were gone and left curves and sweepers now felt just as solid as right ones...

But back to Interstate traveling, I am kind of like you and mostly ride back roads whenever possible and try to use Interstates only when absolutely necessary. Maybe work in some additional travel time to avoid the Interstate to and from work...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I feel vibration as well. More speed more vibration. Not shake out of your hands vibration but noticeable. The squirrelly is more i can feel the bike moving side to side under me. Really makes you concentrate on keeping it centered in your lane.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Some of the "squirrely" feeling is from the wear grooves in the lanes. Because of the width of your trike, it may not stay centered in the lane and will kind of move side to side. I have this same phenomena with my reverse trike, concrete highways not so much. IMO, pick a groove and keep one of the rear tires in it and ride. YMMV

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I also have a 2018 DCT/CSC and have no problem with it on expressways. On my trip out west from Kentucky in July we had to use expressways in order to visit all the places we wanted to visit. My DCT will cruise all day at 80 and I haven't noticed anything stability or ride problems. Make sure your tire pressures are all good. I do have the air foil on the back but have no proof it aids with stability. Good luck with your DCT.
Bill

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do keep up with my tire pressures. Maybe it's just these ancient SC roads I'm riding on. Like the previous poster said, could be ruts / grooves worn into the pavement causing this. Certainly wouldn't want to run 80 like that.

·
Registered
715 Posts
:cool: Don't know about the 2018+, but my 2012 Roadsmith runs just as true on Interstates as it does on 2-lanes as long as the road(s) are smooth. It rides like a magic carpet on smooth NEW blacktop highways. 👍

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have an older Champion trike conversion on a 2006 GW. It has an adjustable sway bar. that determines how much side to side movement can occur. I do not know if yours has a sway bar, but if it does, you might check it.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
On the CSC it‘s called an ARB (anti-roll bar)……it’s an option……does yours have one?
I’ve been told in my research this can made a big difference in how “sensitive” it feels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts