GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I worked on my bike last night till the wee hours. I sure had alot of blow by in the air cleaner housing this time for some reason. I removed the black tubes off of the throttle bores this time and you sure can clean in there real good. The air filter was pretty dirty, only after about 20k miles. What I did notice that disturbed me is I have alot of chafing going on in there with the wires. I wrapped some protection around them for good measure. I cleaned all the connectors out with cleaner and blew them real clean. I could not imagine not having an air compressor. The only thing that I am concerned about is I was looking under my bike and I noticed my fuel drain hose is burned with holes in it. It runs down right along the exhaust next to the 02 sensor. If my bike is real hot and I over spill the fuel tank that fuel is going to run right onto that hot exhaust. I might get that fixed. I run only good qaulity gas, use injector cleaner evry now and then and my throotle plates were pretty darn dirty. I am sure its gonna idle and have better throttle response.
When you guys replace your air filter be sure and clean those things up real good. Make sure you use a carb cleaner that is specifically made for throttle bodies. And make sure the tube from the can doesnt blow off into the holes. My mileage had been dropping lately, so I am interested to see how my mileage will be out to Texas next week.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Toyo said:
...out to Texas next week.
I'm going to do my air filter and cleaning after the Holidays -- just not enough time right now. It has been replaced, but this will be the first time that I've dug in to do it. I'm sure there will be some good cleaning to do.

Riding to Texas, huh? The last time you made a trip out to Arizona you headed up to Colorado to do a little riding with me. I'd like to see you again and do a little riding with you, but I don't think I'll be getting my bikes in and out of my place for quite some time (unless I trailer them out).

Merry Christmas to you and the family!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Toyo said:
I run only good qaulity gas, use injector cleaner evry now and then and my throotle plates were pretty darn dirty...
Gasoline never gets anywhere near the throttle plates - it's injected way downstream from that point. If you had that much grunge in the throttle plate area, check for a hose not being plugged onto the bottom of the air box, the plug missing from the bottom of the drain tube, or a poor fit of the air cleaner element in the box. I'm assuming you were using a standard air filter - not one of those oiled gauze deals.

Stu

·
Vendor
22,218 Posts
Stu has good points. I also find some oil residue can get into the air box from the oil rich air in the crankcase that is sent back to the air box from the pair valves. It is not uncommon to find some oily gunk around the holes in the air box bottom that connect to the hoses for pair valves. This might account for some of the residue you found on the throttle plates.

The forward edge of the throttle plates are coated with a small semi-circle of some sort of black coating. Don't confuse that with dirt, it is some sort of coating they use on the edges of the throttle plates. I am not exactly sure what it's function is, but it may smooth air flow when the plates are nearly closed or it could be there to prevent the plates from sticking to the walls of the throttle bore.

Toyo, I would be VERY interested to know exactly what wire harnesses you found chaffing on.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hey Steven - Where are you headed to in Texas? If you make it to Dallas give me a shout. I'll PM you my contact info. If not, I'll see you in Montrose.

Ride safe
Todd

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Todd,
Allow me to respond for Steve.

He, Tn. Charlie and I are riding down to Steve Aylers in Round Rock on the 27th, returning on the 28th. Steve bought some stuff from him a while back, giving us an excuse for a long ride.

·
Love The DCT
12,152 Posts
Right out of the service manual for the fuel system it says: "Do not apply commercially available carburetor cleaners to the inside of the throttle bore, which is coated with molybdenum."

The black area you see is the molybdenum.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Toyo;

my coolent recovery tank overflow line got cooked once by the left O2 sensor. The fuel spill line should be inboad of that area. A few well placed ziop ties serve well.

I get some blow-by form the crank case vent via the secondary air supply (PAIR system) too. Seems like hard engine braking emphasizes it. Hope you did not wash off the coating -- whatever practical difference it could make.

prs

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
murf said:
Right out of the service manual for the fuel system it says: "Do not apply commercially available carburetor cleaners to the inside of the throttle bore, which is coated with molybdenum."

The black area you see is the molybdenum.
Ruh Roh Reorge!

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That Moly is appiled on the butterfly edges. They do it to help keep it cean. Ford does the same thing. Doesnt do a hill of beans. However, there is a big difference between car cleaners and throttle body cleaners. On the back of a can of carb cleaner, it will say "do not apply directly to the insid eof the throttle body" Throttle body cleaner is a different chemical all together. The walls inside of the actual bore was dirty on mine. The plates were pretty good. Then I had alot of blow by sitting on the bottom of the air cleaner box, towards the back of the box. You know, I almost removed that box. I should have just to make sure all my lines were connected.

·
Vendor
22,218 Posts
Toyo said:
Then I had alot of blow by sitting on the bottom of the air cleaner box, towards the back of the box. You know, I almost removed that box. I should have just to make sure all my lines were connected.
That was probably from the PAIR system. It circulates oil rich crankcase vapors into the air box, though those two hoses that connect to it at the rear.

Toyo, I REALLY would like to know what wire harnesses you found chaffing on.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fred, From the best of my memory, it was the wire harness that runs on the side of the ecm plugs. It runs right next to the gas tank if I remember. It was chafing pretty bad. It has rubbed all the factory tape off. I fixed it all up and put some padding in there.

CycleDude. I have never used a K&N filter. I like the fact that I take some stuff off to get to it. Its a good time to check things out and do some good cleaning while I am in there.

I rode the bike for the first time last night since I did the work. It idles mush smoother now. Those throttle butterflys get dirty and they will not allow the correct flow/amount of air into the chamber.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts