GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I'm the guy with the madstad prototype ! I live about 10 min from madstad. Madstad is swamped with business and I regularly pester mark to finish my brackets. He is aware that the windshield is desired as he told me he is getting phone calls. Please call him and say waz ahhh. The windshield I have eliminated the shoulder buffeting for me. I dont have a passenger so wouldnt know about that. It does blow the wind up over my head with rain also. Its about the same size as the f4 20. How about everone call mark and say **** or get off the pot ; politely of course as he is super nice !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm the guy with the madstad prototype ! I live about 10 min from madstad. Madstad is swamped with business and I regularly pester mark to finish my brackets. He is aware that the windshield is desired as he told me he is getting phone calls. Please call him and say waz ahhh. The windshield I have eliminated the shoulder buffeting for me. I dont have a passenger so wouldnt know about that. It does blow the wind up over my head with rain also. Its about the same size as the f4 20. How about everone call mark and say **** or get off the pot ; politely of course as he is super nice !
Any chance you could post a picture of the prototype. I love the Madstad on my 2013 F6B and am hoping to get similiar results. THanks!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Gotta go to rte right now but my non teenage butt will attempt that when I get back. I looked to see where you are but no luck. If you were in central fl I would let you take it for a ride.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks for the update.

Good to hear business for Madstad is Booming. Good for them, not so good for anxious 2018+ owners.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
A lot of the wind comes in on the side under the mirrors and along the body by the gas tank. The under the mirror wings and the next ones below that, do eliminate lots of the buffeting.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I spoke to Madstad today, they are looking at being ready in a month for the 2018s.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Added an MRA X-creep and rode today with my wife. It was horrible, she got hammered by wind all day. Don’t know if I’ll be keeping this new one if we can’t get the passenger wind issue solved. Only bright note is that I spoke to Madstad Friday and they think their option will be available in a month or so.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The OP in this case is c/o excessive buffeting/wind making its way around him to his passenger/wife. The windshield may be a contributory issue, however, there is a possibly more significant safety issue here:

The OP indicates he is 300# and his pillion rider is an "average weight" female about 5'10". According to available guidelines, this would place the passenger between 132-173#. Doing the math of 300+132=432 (minimum), the Wing may be overloaded. Capacity is between 417-423# per the manual dependent on the configuration. Overloading can change the handling (and I suspect, the wind flow geometry) characteristics in perhaps unpredictable ways.

The obvious solution is to procure another Wing fitted with a windshield of her choice and have her ride safely ahead.

Good Luck with that!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts