GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

New to forums and wanted to drop a line and and say Hi !

I'm in the Austin, TX area and if all things fall into place taking a small drive down to Houston this week to pick up a new 2018 Wing DCT. The wife and I are super excited to get back into riding after a 7 year hiatus. The plan is to get out and plan some trips to see some of our great National Parks, of which I've seen exactly ZERO, sad, I know !

It's been probably 24 years since I last bought from a dealer. Any advice from you folks ? Out the door price has been set, I'm not interested in purchasing an extended warranty until the factory warranty gets close to expiring and I'm going to secure financing from a local credit union on Monday. I also mentioned to the salesman I would give them an opportunity to beat my private financing terms / APR % . Unsure if anyone that sees this has financed directly through Honda power sports and what kind of rates and terms they have seen.

That being said, I was going to ask them to program an additional key fob and update the Nav before pickup.

Anything else I should be on the lookout for ?

Thanks folks !

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
What Houston dealer are you buying from? I bought mine from Stubbs Cycle. Honda financing was cheaper at the time than my credit union. Nickel and dime them to throw in every thing you can get from them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honda of Houston, they have been the most upfront and easiest to deal with out of the multitude I've spoken with. The best price to boot.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sounds like you have things well in hand. As the bike is a 2018 I recommend having the final drive fluid checked before you leave the dealer. Many 2018's including mine were not filled to spec from the factory. Look carefully at the paint. Early production bikes, mine was one, had finger prints or smudges in the paint under the clear coat. Honda replaced nearly all my painted surfaces.

I am at 30K mi on my 2018 and consider this the best road bike I have owned. The Nav IMHO is a POS but installing a Garmin on the handlebars makes this the best touring bike on the road, period. It is just fun to ride and for me the DCT is a game changer. I will never go back to a manual on a road bike.

Enjoy the bike, its a keeper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the call outs, I'll mention that to the sales man and have them verify the fluid levels. I will more than likely trailer it home due to the Tstorms predicted for the later part of the week and check it myself .

I've spent the greater part of 14 months researching every sport touring and touring bike available and for me the Goldwing just checks more boxes than any of its competition. I don't expect it to be perfect but thats why aftermarket exist.

Now finding a dealer thats easy to deal with and willing to communicate has been a whole story on its own but I digress.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Honda beat my credit union, but, I put down quite a bit of cash up front. They game me 0% for 12 months, or could have gotten 1.9% for 24 months.
Also, my engine was overfilled at delivery. Did not know that at the time, checked oil level per manual at about 500 miles and it was 3/4 of a quart over filled. I used a small tube down the fill hole and a large syringe to get the oil level correct. Didn't have the oil or filters to do a complete change to get the level right, this did the trick for me.
Also as stated, mine is a 2020 DCT, and it did not have the 2020 Nav update installed. Found that out on my own as well, downloaded the update and installed it my self. SO, ask the dealer if your has the new update and if not make them do the install.
I am from East Texas, Texarkana, to be exact, if you get up this way let me know, I'll show you around East Texas and South Ark.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine also did not have the Tire Pressure Monitoring System set up. I think mine was just the second Wing they had sold. If the green TPMS is on, that means it is not working, which seems backwards and is probably why the set up guy assumed it was on. It is no big deal, just lower the tire pressure below fifteen and reinflate. Since it is 2020 I imagine the techs have figured this out now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honda beat my credit union, but, I put down quite a bit of cash up front. They game me 0% for 12 months, or could have gotten 1.9% for 24 months.
Also, my engine was overfilled at delivery. Did not know that at the time, checked oil level per manual at about 500 miles and it was 3/4 of a quart over filled. I used a small tube down the fill hole and a large syringe to get the oil level correct. Didn't have the oil or filters to do a complete change to get the level right, this did the trick for me.
Also as stated, mine is a 2020 DCT, and it did not have the 2020 Nav update installed. Found that out on my own as well, downloaded the update and installed it my self. SO, ask the dealer if your has the new update and if not make them do the install.
I am from East Texas, Texarkana, to be exact, if you get up this way let me know, I'll show you around East Texas and South Ark.
Thanks for the call out, The oil was spot on, the Nav system they would have updated for me but i was impatient and didn't want to wait for another 30 or so minutes before getting on the road. The update was easy to install over the weekend. The headlights on the other hand gave a great view 30 feet in front of me, took a short trip at night and had to run with the high beams on, again an easy fix. I have family in the KY area and we drive through your area, if we take that trip on the bike I'll give you a shout.

·
Registered
18,696 Posts
Congrats. Honda of Houston is a good dealer for repairs & warranty also. If you can pick up Thursday I would. Rain on Fri & Saturday

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats. Honda of Houston is a good dealer for repairs & warranty also. If you can pick up Thursday I would. Rain on Fri & Saturday
I couldn't agree more, I can't say enough good things about that dealership. Thomas , was top notch and the whole experience was smooth and relaxed. I will consider them for service in the future, after my ****-tastic shopping experience with a local dealer, I don't trust them enough to allow them to wash the bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts