GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

My name is Mitch and I’d like to re-introduce Pulstar Spark Plugs to your forum. I understand that we’re not a new face around here, but due to a recent company revision I’ll be taking over as the new forum representative on your message boards. As a current site sponsor, I would like to address a few things concerning our current overall status on your forum.

First and foremost, I am writing to express my sincerest apologies if there have been any sort of conflict relationships with Pulstar Spark Plugs in the past. Our reputation is very important to us, and I’m here to ensure that your entire community has a positive experience with our company from this moment forward. Coincidentally, we just launched our new how it works video. It features actual footage of Pulstar’s plasma-forming pulse and improved fuel burn captured by AVL, a certified testing laboratory frequently used by most major automotive manufacturers.

You can watch that video here

We developed this video in order to clearly explain and highlight complex subjects such as plasma physics, energy compression, and nano-plasma combustion chemistry to the general public. Our technical advisory committee helped us with this video. As you can already imagine, it contains some pretty complex science that needs to be understandable if you don’t happen to be a plasma physicist. Dr Claude Phipps (who actually is a plasma physicist and received his degrees from MIT and Stanford) alongside with Dr Tim Jacobs (the undergraduate program director and assistant professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Texas A&M University) lent us their expertise for this video. You can learn more about it here. Hopefully this will serve to answer any questions or concerns you might have.

Before you continue any further, listen up. I’ve been where you guys are. I know that there is nothing more annoying than a vendor that doesn’t interact with the community at all. Or even a vendor that has nothing relevant to contribute to the site and instead ends up cluttering it. Long story short, I’m here to change all of that.

Your support and continued partnership means a lot to us. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to post below or PM me directly. I’ll do my best to reply back to you ASAP! Once again, thank you :)

Sincerely,
- [email protected]

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/followpulstar
Twitter : https://twitter.com/OfficialPulstar
YouTube : http://www.youtube.com/pulstarpulseplugs

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Hello everyone,

My name is Mitch and I’d like to re-introduce Pulstar Spark Plugs to your forum. I understand that we’re not a new face around here, but due to a recent company revision I’ll be taking over as the new forum representative on your message boards. As a current site sponsor, I would like to address a few things concerning our current overall status on your forum.

First and foremost, I am writing to express my sincerest apologies if there have been any sort of conflict relationships with Pulstar Spark Plugs in the past. Our reputation is very important to us, and I’m here to ensure that your entire community has a positive experience with our company from this moment forward. Coincidentally, we just launched our new how it works video. It features actual footage of Pulstar’s plasma-forming pulse and improved fuel burn captured by AVL, a certified testing laboratory frequently used by most major automotive manufacturers.

We developed this video in order to clearly explain and highlight complex subjects such as plasma physics, energy compression, and nano-plasma combustion chemistry to the general public. Our technical advisory committee helped us with this video. As you can already imagine, it contains some pretty complex science that needs to be understandable if you don’t happen to be a plasma physicist. Dr Claude Phipps (who actually is a plasma physicist and received his degrees from MIT and Stanford) alongside with Dr Tim Jacobs (the undergraduate program director and assistant professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Texas A&M University) lent us their expertise for this video. You can learn more about it here. Hopefully this will serve to answer any questions or concerns you might have.

Before you continue any further, listen up. I’ve been where you guys are. I know that there is nothing more annoying than a vendor that doesn’t interact with the community at all. Or even a vendor that has nothing relevant to contribute to the site and instead ends up cluttering it. Long story short, I’m here to change all of that.

Your support and continued partnership means a lot to us. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to post below or PM me directly. I’ll do my best to reply back to you ASAP! Once again, thank you :)

Sincerely,
- [email protected]

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/followpulstar
Twitter : https://twitter.com/OfficialPulstar
YouTube : http://www.youtube.com/pulstarpulseplugs

I have a few questions if you do not mind. By no means are these questions challenges, but merely me being inquisitive and wanting to learn more. That said, 1- is there any MC manufacturer that is recommending or endorsing these plugs on their bikes? If so who? 2- has there been any data or research that shows these plugs last as long or longer with the same initial response as shown by video? 3- how do these plugs hand and react to the ethanol we are all dealing with? 4- would these plugs cause a void in any warranty if used and there is a problem with motor that may / may not be associated with plugs? In the past 1-3 years, how many bikes are using these and which bikes are mostly using them ( touring, sport, cruiser etc) 5- with the plugs firing more and hotter(?), but showing more bursts, would this over time cause any issues with Pistons, rings etc with warping or any leaking due to the intensity? And how do you/ we know they will not? 6- any other entities going the route of plasma plugs?
thanks for reading...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a few questions if you do not mind. By no means are these questions challenges, but merely me being inquisitive and wanting to learn more. That said, 1- is there any MC manufacturer that is recommending or endorsing these plugs on their bikes? If so who? 2- has there been any data or research that shows these plugs last as long or longer with the same initial response as shown by video? 3- how do these plugs hand and react to the ethanol we are all dealing with? 4- would these plugs cause a void in any warranty if used and there is a problem with motor that may / may not be associated with plugs? In the past 1-3 years, how many bikes are using these and which bikes are mostly using them ( touring, sport, cruiser etc) 5- with the plugs firing more and hotter(?), but showing more bursts, would this over time cause any issues with Pistons, rings etc with warping or any leaking due to the intensity? And how do you/ we know they will not? 6- any other entities going the route of plasma plugs?
thanks for reading...
I don't mind at all, thank you for your questions! ;)

1. Is there any MC manufacturer that is recommending or endorsing these plugs on their bikes?
  • Not as of right now but we are in advanced stages of testing with one major motorcycle manufacturer. They are very excited about the technology and they have had very positive results in preliminary tests. Stay tuned.
2. Has there been any data or research that shows these plugs last as long or longer with the same initial response as shown by video?
  • The capacitor does not degrade over the life of the plug. We test every single plug we receive back, some with more than 100k miles. This testing includes measuring the plug’s capacitance (the amount of energy storage capacity). The capacitor is what produces the results you see in the video. The air gap can wear down (just like in any plug) but this is quickly remedied by adjusting your gap. Actually, third-party testing of our technology has shown that you get better performance from a larger gap, this also applies to a conventional spark plug but to a much smaller degree. The reason manufacturers recommend you set your gap smaller initially is to account for electrode wear, allowing you to go 50k – 100k miles without having to maintain your spark plugs.
  • We have also conducted testing in our natural gas segment where the machines are designed to gather operating data. Those tests have shown positive results, which applies to our aftermarket product because natural gas is much harder to ignite and the plug has to operate in much harsher conditions than a motorcycle or car would produce.
3. How do these plugs handle and react to the ethanol we are all dealing with?
  • The worse the conditions are to ignite the fuel the better we perform. Because our pulse knocks off electrons from the gaseous molecules to create highly excited plasma, we are able to ignite fuels that others have difficulty igniting. In fact, our only OEM election (at this point) has been with Raider Outboards who build outboards for the DoD that have to ignite any fuel available in the battlefield. This includes igniting diesel, JP-8, kerosene and bio-fuels. They credit our technology with allowing them to do this. Read more here

4. Would these plugs cause a void in any warranty if used and there is a problem with motor that may / may not be associated with plugs?
  • Absolutely not. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.
5. In the past 1-3 years, how many bikes are using these and which bikes are mostly using them ( touring, sport, cruiser etc).
  • We’ve sold over a million plugs in the aftermarket. It’s hard to say how many of those are bikes. Harley riders seem to be our biggest fans since it’s really easy to swap the plugs out and feel the difference immediately. In fact, our founder likes to tell the story about how he first started selling into the aftermarket. He went to a rally and offered $100 to anyone who tried the plugs and didn’t like them. If they liked them they had to buy them. The first guy to take him up on the offer stuck them in his bike and drove around for about 5 minutes, came back and without a word started to count out $50 (the price of two plugs at the time). By the end of the day he had a long line and had sold out. As a more sophisticated operation today we can’t give $100 to everyone who doesn’t like our product since you really can’t please everyone, but we’ve kept the spirit alive by offering a 30 day money back guarantee. We also produced a video with a motorcycle club in California. I know the video seems like a marketing piece (which it is) but these guys literally had never used the product before and you are seeing their genuine reactions to it. We get these types of reactions a lot so we decided we should film it and turn it into a marketing piece. You can watch that here

6. With the plugs firing more and hotter(?), but showing more bursts, would this over time cause any issues with Pistons, rings etc with warping or any leaking due to the intensity? And how do you/ we know they will not?
  • Just to be clear, Pulstar Spark Plugs don’t fire more often they fire just before the power stroke like any conventional spark plug. I can see why you would think the plug produces higher temperatures. But actually the pulse takes 3 nanoseconds to complete, so it’s similar to swiping your finger through the flame of a candle. It’s too quick to produce a significant amount of heat, especially when compared to the heat produced by combustion. Next, the fuel ignites immediately and burns faster. A conventional spark plug eventually ignites the fuel and burns most of it during the power stroke. Pulstar does the same, the difference is when the expanding gases apply pressure to the piston. Because it burns the fuel faster, Pulstar applies pressure to the piston sooner; resulting in more torque. As a side note, since we burn more fuel at the beginning of the power stroke we reduce emissions because we burn the fuel more completely. It’s easy to see why Pulstar will not cause any issues with your engine.
7. Any other entities going the route of plasma plugs?
  • We currently have 28 patents issued in the US, EU, Canada, China, Mexico, Australia and Japan. So far we have had to challenge two major automotive companies in court and have won both times. We don’t like to sling mud but a cursory google search will find news articles from a few years ago about plasma spark plugs, the technology in these articles never seems to come to market… We are talking with some major spark plug manufacturers about licensing this technology, but it’s not just innovation that determines if a big corporation will adopt your technology. There are a lot of things that can derail these talks and so seeing the fruits of this labor may be a while off.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks,
- Mitch

·
Registered
83 Posts
I looked at your website.

It doesn't list the Honda Goldwing.

The Goldwing is the only motorcycle this website deals with.

I also have a 2014 KTM 500 exc.
Your website stops at the year 2013.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at your website.

It doesn't list the Honda Goldwing.

The Goldwing is the only motorcycle this website deals with.

I also have a 2014 KTM 500 exc.
Your website stops at the year 2013.

We're constantly updating and revising our automotive/powersport lookup, so I apologize that those bikes aren't quite listed yet. I promise they will be soon :)

Goldwing will use our be1ht plug

In regrads to your KTM, we currently don't offer a plug for that application quite yet!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plasma-assisted combustion via Complex Control System - $2,000+ per cylinder
Plasma-assisted combustion via Pulstar Spark Plugs - Less than $18 a cylinder
;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts