GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized that I have never introduced myself on this board.
I apologize.
I have been riding motorcycles for 38 years.
The vast majority of my riding has been on older Hondas that I owned, such as the 350, 500 and the 750.
I live in northern Ohio. Perfect motorcycle weather lasts about 5 months a year. There were 2 years in my youth that all I had for transportation was a motorcycle, and I rode it year round. Every day. (Pretty stupid huh?) But I had to get to school and then to work in order to make the payments on the bike. (You learn to use your legs as outriggers when driving in snow and ice).
Then I got married. (A good thing!)
We waited until 5 years after we wed to have children. During that time we traveled on our Hondas all over the country east of the Rocky Mountains.
"You do meet the nicest people on a Honda!"
In one 2 year period we wore out a Honda 750 by traveling over 100,000 miles on it, most of the time 2 up. Cleveland to Denver/Colorado Springs and back in 5 days with 2 days spent visiting my buddy at the Air Force Academy. The entire trip home was in the rain. Our wives on the back of our bikes wanted to take a Greyhound bus home but my buddy and I wouldn't hear of it. (We didn't have enough money left to buy the tickets anyways). 2 trips to Texas, 2 trips to southern Florida, (two up), and multiple weekend trips to West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Pennsylvania all 2 up. We had an old tarp that we would throw over the bike and make a lean-to type tent for sleeping. Woke up one morning and had silver dollar sized spiders crawling all over us. I hate spiders!
Do to a serious back injury and nerve damage, I must now have a heel-toe shifter. I cannot raise my toe to shift. (Foot drop) Needless to say, that slowed me way down on my riding.
I have never owned a true touring motorcycle.
I have borrowed and rented many different touring motorcycles, mainly Harley's, and put a few thousand miles riding one up and two up on them. I have also ridden on Ninjas and other high revving and high speed motorcycles. Did some hill climbing in my younger and more foolish days.
Now to present day.
The bike that fits me the best is the Harley Ultra Classic. Wife likes that seat too. Only downside was that the vibration tends to make your rear view mirrors useless. Got the dealer to give me the price I wanted to pay for it and then I heard about the new Harley's with the upgraded motor and 6 speed tranny. No wonder the dealer was willing to sell below list price. Decided to wait. During this waiting period I started looking at Goldwings and BMW's.
BMW's are top heavy and the luggage compartments remind me of suitcases strapped on the back. Service charges and intervals are ridiculous! The GT would have been my choice. The LT looks better but doesn't have the power of the GT. Did not test ride due to injury and the fact that the bike seemed top heavy. On the LT forum site a lot of the guys are talking up the Goldwing.
Went on some test rides on the Goldwing at 2 different dealers and the wife now likes that seat the best. I felt a little cramped with my knees so close to the fairing and the handlebars are too near the top of my legs when in slow turn situations. I had to shift the Goldwings with the inside of my heel on my boot because of the nerve damage in that leg. That did not make it very enjoyable nor very informative as far as wether or not I would be happy and comfortable with the Goldwing after I changed it to a heel-toe shifter.
Alone and on the way back from the second Honda dealer, I passed a Victory dealership and stopped in. They insisted that I take a Kingpin for a ride and were willing to give me a tee-shirt if I did. As it has a heel-toe shifter, no problem. I take it for about 1/2 hour and bring it back with a huge smile on my face. This bike really moves out! I was actually hoping to find a Harley rider so that I could blow him away. I go home and get the wife and back to the dealer we go. I ask if we can test ride it again and he tossed me the keys. Wife thought it was fun, but not very comfortable in the backseat. Her legs were up too high.
The dealer then tells me about the new Tourer that Victory has under development. Gives me a heavy hint that I should wait for it as he feels it might be the bike I am looking for.
So, that is my situation. I just retired, I have the money, the kids are grown and gone.
I want a bike!
I may buy a cruiser for now, probably a Kingpin, and wait until I find my perfect fit on the tourer.
Hal, this is a great site, well run, and you had every right to end the CT debacle. Maybe if I can find somewhere to rent a Goldwing with a heel-toe shifter for a few hours, we could come up with a price for an ABS version that I could live with.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Welcome to the board. I wish you luck in your search. By all means, find what is comfortable for you and the wife. I probably would have stayed with a GL1200 if not for looking for more room and comfort so that wife wife might get interested. There are indeed H/T shifters available (several). I hope I never get that problem, because I hated the H/T (and boards) on my SE-i!

·
Squating Member
7,055 Posts
I too prefer the seating position and foot placement of the UC, but the Wing is so much more comfortable for the wife and pulling a trailer the UC falls on it's face in the power area...it short the power sucks big time...

We have also just triked out the wing and again the UC is way too underpowered for a trike setup, I know they're out there but way too slow and weak for pulling a trailer two up.....without spending a fortune in motor upgrades....

I have the Kury floorboards with the H/T shifter and it's a little different than the UC, more underneath and back...but the boards are comfortable...have to be careful on a 2Wheeler with the boards, easy to scrape in the corners.....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Welcome! I traded in a 2001 Victory Deluxe for my 06 Wing. I got tired of waiting for them to make a touring model. I am still not sure I like what they have come up with. I will have to see one and ride it before I can make a decision. I had the floorboards and heel toe shifter put on my Wing and like it. They may scrape more in tight twisties but I do not plan on getting that vigorous with it very often. My wife did not like the back seat on the Kingpin either. She likes the Wing seat better but said it leaned back too much. I got a Corbin heated seat and she likes it much better. It seems that quite a few people change out the seat for one reason or another. But then again I have changed out the seat on most of my bikes, Suzuki, Victory and now Honda. Hope you find a Wing with the floorboard and heel toe shifter to try out. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the encouraging words.
I normally just lurk on Boards, but this one seems to have less flamethrowers than others, so I have had a few posts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.