GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Market took another dump for 500:22yikes:

I think investing in a garage full of Wings is better money management than the market or government securities. whats the depreciation on a wing for 2 or 3 years? certainly more predictable than market.

Let Honda salesman manage your portfolio....whats the difference?:shrug:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That's been tried before with Harleys. Better keep it in an interest bearing account, even if it's a low rate.

I think I'll invest mine in beer and pizzas.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Given US Treasuries are not a sure bet, perhaps you should hedge your bets with corporate bonds. There're a lot of corporations that are very solvent and will be able to pay debts thru the coming recession.

Equities, forget about it..deflation is coming (and necessary) and earnings will be hard to peg.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Hang tight.

You haven't lost any money unless you sell.

Just a bump, a big one at that, in the road.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
It amazes me when people get all upset about a drop in the stock market.You can always put it in a savings account and draw what little interest they give OR IF YOU CHOOSE you can buy stocks and take the good with the bad, and it's not bad until you have less than you put into it. Most of the money you loose wasn't yours to start with, it was money you MADE from the stocks rising.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Two Friday's ago I pulled 50% of my investments and threw it into gold. I plan on selling in the next few days as soon as it gives me a 25% growth.

I then am going to keep pouring in and pulling out as gold continues to spike. i will loose a little when it dumps, but on its current track I will be making close to 50% gains for the year in my portfolio.

Mark

·
Registered
237 Posts
Gold has no monetary value, it's just invested in based upon tradition. When the market balances itself and there's a correct, correction, without quantitative, easing gold will take a shi$.

I've always thought that Gold was a bubble that was going to burst, but so far I've been proven wrong. However, given the current economic sediment and the possibility of stagflation and flat demand (on a global basis), there could be a chance that gold goes down and US treasuries (price) rise.

Personally, if things get uglier from an economic perspective, I'd rather do the right thing and invest in treasuries... Greed is not good sometimes.

PS Europe current economic and banking crisis scares me…

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not upset about it......its almost comical in a sick sad way.....I think it is past trying to second guess......

Pizza and beer is good....road trip is always the answer

Just thought a new wing for every day of week might be an answer to make the sting of short/long term losses better......

How about investing in Nigerian Alpacas that ride Wings?:joke:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Gold has no monetary value,
True, but the dollar is constantly LOSING value.

perhaps you should hedge your bets with corporate bonds.
But those will be paying off with inflated dollars :(

Equities, forget about it..deflation is coming (and necessary)
Deflation with the way the government is printing money? That brings massive INflation.

Ken

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Gold has no monetary value, it's just invested in based upon tradition.
> Unlike Fiat Dollars, whose value is the "full faith and credit of the US Gov't", and whose tradition goes back a whole 40yrs.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It amazes me when people get all upset about a drop in the stock market.You can always put it in a savings account and draw what little interest they give OR IF YOU CHOOSE you can buy stocks and take the good with the bad, and it's not bad until you have less than you put into it. Most of the money you loose wasn't yours to start with, it was money you MADE from the stocks rising.
There is more to my story than Econ 101..........

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Well my first investment in gold just made its mark for me. 20% in about a month.

Dumping all my gold and will sit on cash until the market has a recovery day, then back into gold I go.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Deflation with the way the government is printing money? That brings massive INflation.

Ken
Inflation will be controlled to a certain extent because a large component of the $ being printed is sitting on bank's balance sheets for capital requirements on SWAP exposure. Once deflation occurs and there's a balance of what one is willing to pay and one is will to sell a product for which will lead to a slow yet real economic recovery; causing interest rates to rise.

One has to remember when a lot of the SWAPS were sold, interest rates were higher. As interest rates went down, the exposure on the SWAPS was tremendous....Most Banks were not adequately capitalized for the off balance sheet risk and there was no choice, but for the gvt’ to fund the banks (money printing)

There’s an inverse relationship between capital requirement (liquidity) on SWAPS and interest rates. As rates rise, SWAPS can be unwound and or capital requirements will change leading to the Bank's vaults to be opened to folks who want to borrow. The only thing that one has to figure out is the time horizon of the maturities of the SWAPs (higher interest rate) because it will define how long the recession will last.

·
Registered
297 Posts
wow..$$$$

But all the salavage wings you can and part out. A Goldwing recycler. There could be a pretty good ROI if you care to work for it..

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
muni bonds

i have been buying municipal bonds since 97, have never had one default,
i'm earning between 4.5 and 5 percent tax free. I especially love the utility bonds.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
Run the bum out of town. He could not run a popsickle stand

1 - 18 of 18 Posts