GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harvey2duke is coming over to my place on Friday the 30th and we are going to attempt to service the forks on my Wing and install RaceTech gold valves. Anybody who would like to come over is welcome. I live in Glendale, just south of Loop 101 and west of 67th Avenue. If you would like to stop by and watch, laugh, or help, drop a PM and I'll send you my address. 8:30 AM on Friday.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Can't make the Friday morning session, but maybe I can stop in on Saturday and see how you are coming along. :lol:

Hope it goes well Jerry and thanks for the invitation.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't make the Friday morning session, but maybe I can stop in on Saturday and see how you are coming along. :lol:

Hope it goes well Jerry and thanks for the invitation.
That doesn't sound encouraging.:lol:

If I don't finish by Sunday night, I will load all the parts into my Homer bucket and head for D&D in Tempe.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
So, how did it go? Curious minds want to know <G>!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, how did it go? Curious minds want to know <G>!
OK, I might as well confess publicly. Didn't go well. Duke had to work late so he could not come over, good thing, because here is what happened.

I tried to break loose the bottom bolts but couldn't get them loose, I risked messing up the hex nuts. Thought maybe they would loosen if the top bolts were loosened first. Tried to loosen the top bolts, almost destroyed them in the process, could not get them loose. So I just removed the forks and took them to D&D, with all my new parts. Later I learned that I should have loosened the top fork clamp BEFORE trying to loosen the fork bolts, since the clamp actually encloses the fork bolts. That is glaringly obvious after it was pointed out to me by Mel.

That's the first project I've had to bail out on in many years. Oh well, my heart wasn't in it anyway. I'll stick to oil changes, spark plugs, air filter and brakes.

The scary part is...D&D hasn't called me back yet.:-(

Jerry

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Sorry it didn't go so well. I'm sure that Mark of Mel will give you a call Monday or Tuesday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts