GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is motorcycle related with my Mic-Mutes business and phone service for the business.

I'm testing an IP phone adapter for analog phones at my home / office. This service has some very slick features.

I haven't abandoned my legacy landline phone, but if this continues to work reliably then I will and have my landline number ported to the IP phone and discontinue wired land line Verizon service.

The service that I've chosen is ViaTalk.com, very much like Vonage only much cheaper and more features. Check it out and give me some feedback, especially if you've also gone IP.

If you are curious and you'd like to hear a test call from me, give me your number.

·
Banned
350 Posts
I have not had a land line for five years...

How does yours compare to MagicJack? I paid them $60 for five years of service.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Did you look into Ooma? I bought the unit 2 or 3 years ago and there is no monthly charge unless you want the premium features.

I don't know for sure if there are no monthly charges for new subscribers.

As always, voIP is only as good as your internet connection allows it to be.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I've had Vonage since '04 or '05 (been too long to remember) and won't go back to the over priced 'landline'. Free long distance in North America + free long distance to 60 countries around the world (which is why I have Vonage vs other providers). On power failure or IPS failure, calls are automatically forwarded to my cell number, so UPS not needed. Also, my number moves with me so I don't have to notify my clients of a number change....which is a royal pain if you have done this before. I live in Oregon with and Arizona number - LOL

The only issue I have experienced, is 'hearing cross talk' when on the phone. Contacted Vonage and determined the source was my Vonage modem, which they replaced immediately with no charge.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It sounds like Vonage is a good deal....I canceled my landline and now I have Verizon home phone connect...So far it is working out GREAT...This one works off of the cell phone towers...If no power the home phone connect is battery backup...The magic jack I didnt like because of having to use the computer...Home phone connect $19. a month with all of the features and long distance...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ooma

Did you look into Ooma? I bought the unit 2 or 3 years ago and there is no monthly charge unless you want the premium features.

I don't know for sure if there are no monthly charges for new subscribers.

As always, voIP is only as good as your internet connection allows it to be.
Dittos on the OOMA, love it!:coffee1:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Bill one issue with IP phones is older alarm systems. They don't work with the digital signal, also if you have a fax or CC machine they are also very picky about the signal. I work with a true IP system at work and we have several anolog lines for the faxes and alarms. Also as someone pointed out if you loose the internet you loose your phone.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ViaTalk will also forward to any number on loss of you service due to failure of your connection.

For residential unlimited calling with free long distance and free international for $17 + taxes. Free equipment and no activation fee.

If you are on the cheaper 2000 minute plan like I am for a trail the minutes are not rounded up making it truely 2000 minutes of talk time.

A fax server is available as an add on option for $8 / month for 100 faxes. You send a document using a scanned copy PDF and receive PDF.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts