GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I have until now being using an eepc for my computer needs on the road. I have just got a iPad 2 with wifi no 3G
Aim finding it good as it is lighter etc aim interested in what apps everyone is using for their travels, ones that make life on the road easier etc. I am interested in off line apps. Aim also interested in if anyone has been able to contact a blackberry via bluetooth

Thanks in advance

Johng

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
What are you wanting to connect to your blackberry?
Phone section connects with my truck just fine. Haven't tried to connect bb to a laptop via bluetooth -- even though I print via bluetooth with a portable printer and via wifi with the stationary printer.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate

I wanted to connect a blackberry to the iPad 2 but have since found out I cannot do it. I am also interested in apps that people are using

Johng

·
Registered
368 Posts
We bought the camera adapter (around $29) that plugs into the Ipad that allows us to move photos from the camera to the Ipad. Its really nothing more than a card reader. This allows us to free up memory on the camera to shoot more pics. I have been known to shoot 500 to 600 pictures a day on the road (of which 5 or 6 are worth keeping). Once the pics are in the Ipad you can send those 5 or 6 good ones to your people via email or FB, thus keeping them envious.

·
Registered
178 Posts
What are you wanting to connect to your blackberry?
Phone section connects with my truck just fine. Haven't tried to connect bb to a laptop via bluetooth -- even though I print via bluetooth with a portable printer and via wifi with the stationary printer.
Blackberry bluetooth to laptop + Tether (tether.com) = internet access (without carrier tether fees)

It can be slow depending upon connection speed, but good in a pinch.

I don't believe there's an Apple version as Apple wont approve one to appease the wireless carriers. That's the problem with proprietary $4!+ and why I'll never own an Apple product.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I use Print and Share to print from the iPad. I use some medical apps and the bank app to check my accounts while traveling. I have 3G also, and use it to use the Maps while traveling, if in range of cell towers. I check scores, etc with ESPN, Golf Channel. I check weather with Weather Channel. I can watch movies (if on Wifi) from HBO, Cinemax, etc, since I have an account with them though DirectTV. I love the iBooks app, and have a whole library downloaded. I like the iPad, but wish I could make it use Flash for certain videos. Anyone know how to do that?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holthery
From what I understand an app is not far away for flash as adobe has published photoshop for iPad and the forum sites are indicating that one for flash is coming with apple approval

Johng

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Holthery
From what I understand an app is not far away for flash as adobe has published photoshop for iPad and the forum sites are indicating that one for flash is coming with apple approval

Johng

Hope that is true and happens soon. That is one of the few deficiencies of the iPad.....love it, otherwise.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Hi mate

I wanted to connect a blackberry to the iPad 2 but have since found out I cannot do it. I am also interested in apps that people are using

Johng
I was jsut about to mention that it wont connect to a blackberry.

I used the following APPS on my IPAD 2:

Tripit- Travel Itinerary manager.
Intellicast HD for weather
Google Earth- Simply Rocks
Nightstand -wakes me up
Trip advisor- real people ratings on stuff
Bing is pretty handy
Storm Sim- for sleepy white noise to drown out the noise at hotels
USA Today of free newrs
ABC player to watch TV
Skype to call home- Although facetime is cool. Used Skype Computer to Computer
Photobucket to upload pics
Goodreader for keeping all my digital service manuals and "stuff"
TuneIn radio - Radio

And a CRAP load of games

Does that help?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
We bought the camera adapter (around $29) that plugs into the Ipad that allows us to move photos from the camera to the Ipad. Its really nothing more than a card reader. This allows us to free up memory on the camera to shoot more pics. I have been known to shoot 500 to 600 pictures a day on the road (of which 5 or 6 are worth keeping). Once the pics are in the Ipad you can send those 5 or 6 good ones to your people via email or FB, thus keeping them envious.
I was wondering if the new SD card with bluetooth build in would work?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not a cultist. Not a jailbreaker, either. Sure don't want to screw up good stuff, though. I'll just wait and hope.
That's the problem. For some reason, Apple has convinced most people that jailbreaking "screws up" the iPad and iPhone. Nothing could be further from the truth. If anything, jailbreaking "unscrews" the silly restrictions that are on these devices. People that think it screws up the phone have zero understanding of the software.

:shrug:

·
Registered
810 Posts
That's the problem. For some reason, Apple has convinced most people that jailbreaking "screws up" the iPad and iPhone. Nothing could be further from the truth. If anything, jailbreaking "unscrews" the silly restrictions that are on these devices. People that think it screws up the phone have zero understanding of the software.

Different people have different definitionsof screwed up. For many the inability to automatically apply new updates from the mothership would be screwed up :shrug:

I'm more of an Android person, but the same is true here as well. Rooting, custom ROM's and various hacking things some of the hardware manufacturers are trying to prevent, but there are always people finding ways around them.

Jason

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

You describe me perfectly in your last sentence. I can diagnose and treat your medical conditions, but know nothing of software. To expect one such as me to "jailbreak" and manipulate a computer system would be tantamount to you attempting to practice medicine (assumming you are not in that business). Not advisable. I appreciate your expertise. I will stick with computers designed to help guys like me, and appreciate what the "cultist" Steve Jobs has developed to help me.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks yes very helpful I already have A couple of those thanks

Johng
Www.jonkaz.net

I was jsut about to mention that it wont connect to a blackberry.

I used the following APPS on my IPAD 2:

Tripit- Travel Itinerary manager.
Intellicast HD for weather
Google Earth- Simply Rocks
Nightstand -wakes me up
Trip advisor- real people ratings on stuff
Bing is pretty handy
Storm Sim- for sleepy white noise to drown out the noise at hotels
USA Today of free newrs
ABC player to watch TV
Skype to call home- Although facetime is cool. Used Skype Computer to Computer
Photobucket to upload pics
Goodreader for keeping all my digital service manuals and "stuff"
TuneIn radio - Radio

And a CRAP load of games

Does that help?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Different people have different definitionsof screwed up. For many the inability to automatically apply new updates from the mothership would be screwed up :shrug:

I'm more of an Android person, but the same is true here as well. Rooting, custom ROM's and various hacking things some of the hardware manufacturers are trying to prevent, but there are always people finding ways around them.

Jason
You can always update. No different than updating any computer really, you always have to be mindful that some of your older programs may not work, or in the case of your browser, some add-ons may not work. Same with JB. You update and the JB software doesn't work. No biggie, you wait for the new JB.

You describe me perfectly in your last sentence. I can diagnose and treat your medical conditions, but know nothing of software. To expect one such as me to "jailbreak" and manipulate a computer system would be tantamount to you attempting to practice medicine (assumming you are not in that business). Not advisable. I appreciate your expertise. I will stick with computers designed to help guys like me, and appreciate what the "cultist" Steve Jobs has developed to help me.
I understand that view. I'm just trying to help folks understand that JB isn't that big of a deal. In your analogy, it would be about like dressing a wound. :p

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Not a cultist. Not a jailbreaker, either. Sure don't want to screw up good stuff, though. I'll just wait and hope.
If you jailbreak, they cannot deny you warranty work.

They will try, but the answer is to just overwrite the firmware with the latest IOS image before sending it in.

Personally, without the jailbreak, my Ipod would be worthless to me, I use it for work, and a lot of very practical applications Apple just won't allow.

My wireless diagnostic apps for example. Allpe actually had earlier versions of them then banned them because there was some question about an undocumented API or something.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

The thing to remember is that modern operating systems, IOS included, are built for the person that does not have any understanding of the software or hardware.

It is there because peple do not want to remember that Print file Output PR#0 is the same as Right click, print. (Hell, it's been so long I probably screwed up that command line, but you get the point.)

Jailbreaking does not take away any of that ease of use. It does not eliminate to features someone already has and likes. It just adds aditional capabilities and functions.

the only difficulty is that if you choose to update to a new version of IOS (the Ipad/Iphone/Ipod Operating system) then you will usually have to redo it if you want the features back that you added.

It's about a 10 minute process, and the new jailbreak usually lags about a week behind the new IOS version.

But if you are happy with what you have, then that's cool. If not, then give it a try, you can go back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts