GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an iPhone 5c. What do I need to mount on the handle bar and be able to answer and talk on while riding through my headset.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just got an iPhone 5c. What do I need to mount on the handle bar and be able to answer and talk on while riding through my headset.
I have a ram mount with a one inch ball and a X-Gripper for the holder. I installed an USB port using the left pocket plug n play on the left handlebar so my phone continuously charges. For my Bluetooth (phone, GPS, & music), I have the Cardo Scala headset.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a ram mount with a one inch ball and a X-Gripper for the holder. I installed an USB port using the left pocket plug n play on the left handlebar so my phone continuously charges. For my Bluetooth (phone, GPS, & music), I have the Cardo Scala headset.
Exactly the same for me, except I use a Sena headset.

The X-Grip is great.

·
Registered
693 Posts
To get it all to work with the factory hard wired intercom I would recommend Kennedy Cellsets.

http://www.cellset.com

Jon is great to work with and will walk you through the options.

Biggest question is do you want to use the iPhone over aux (with stereo capability) or over the intercom system (ICS) in mono.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
The link I posted took me 3 hours to install, everything works great. I can play music from two phones. I plug mine in via the USB plug provided, and hook my wife's up via Bluetooth. CB works just like factory. I hear this setup won't work on 2012-2014 models.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have a 2013 and what I would like is to be Listening to the radio and if a incoming call come n I can answer , talk and when hung up music comes back on.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Brian,

Cut the cord and get a Bluetooth headset. You will be amazed with the quality and performance of the Bluetooths, either Cardo Scala or Sena. The Bluetooths will do everything you need them to do. I have been cordless for five years using a Cardo Scala and would never go back to a corded headset.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Brian,

Cut the cord and get a Bluetooth headset. You will be amazed with the quality and performance of the Bluetooths, either Cardo Scala or Sena. The Bluetooths will do everything you need them to do. I have been cordless for five years using a Cardo Scala and would never go back to a corded headset.
+1 on the Bluetooth. We bought the Sena units and love the quality and versatility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Check the run time on the wireless units if you ride 12-14 hour days, and CB compatibility if that matters to you.

·
Registered
208 Posts
bluetooth headset and just keep it in your pocket.
unless you're going to use it as a GPS or something where you HAVE to see it... you can control it via voice commands (at least you can with an Android).

·
Registered
693 Posts
I do have a 2013 and what I would like is to be Listening to the radio and if a incoming call come n I can answer , talk and when hung up music comes back on.

Cellset MC/SP4 will do all of this and mute the music just like an intercom source.

Email Jon and he will set you up.

You can get into this setup for a few hundred bucks and it is 100% plug and play to connectors under the left pocket.

When I set this up on my bike the only challenge is getting gloves compatible with the iPhone touch screen to answer an incoming call (can't setup iPhone to auto answer).

Voice dialing with Siri works great with this setup.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Another vote for the Sena. No wires, clear sound, most of the time callers don't know I am riding. Also good sound from the music, if that matters. If you ride with others who have bluetooth headsets, Sena now has software that will let you talk to other brands. On a recent trip a buddy and I had flawless talk capability while as much as 500-600 feet apart. No button to push, no worries about someone esle coming in on "our" channel, like on a CB.

If you worry about running out of juice, I now have a small battery made to power a phone if the phone's battery dies. IF my battery starts running down, I simply plug in the back-up battery. It can re-charge my i5 twice. It can also re-charge teh Sena headset if it were to run down.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Use your choice of ram mounts and I have the X grip along with a cell set. I think there is a cell set for sale right now for $75 on this board...

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
You've probably already made your purchase but if you haven't...

I have an iPhone 4s and use a Ram mount for an Aqua Box which they make, too. Waterproof visibility and the ability to swipe on the screen of the Aqua Box. I use Cardo Scala Q3 sets: the ability to sync with your phone (almost instaneous), up to three other sets, your GPS (if it will make voice commands through Bluetooth - not all do, but Zumo will), AND the ability to use earbuds for speakers. Easy to use, easy to install, 1 mile range (line of sight) and excellent quality.

I've been using Scala Rider products since '07 and they are quality stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts