GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm stumped. I have been using my ipod with the AUX plug just fine for months now. This week I decided to add a power plug to the left pocket to keep the ipod charged and run a small air compressor if needed. I wired the plug directly to the battery with a relay to shut off the curcuit when the key is off. I used the hot side of the red plug in the bike wiring to run the coil in the relay. Everything works great until I plug the ipod charge cord into the power plug.

As long as the Aux and the power plug are in the ipod I get a nasty alternator whine the radio. Makes no differance if the ipod is off or on. If I disconnect the Aux from the ipod and leave the charge cord in the ipod all is well with the sound system. No whine. Anyone else run into this? I have tried two different charge cords for the ipod and they both do the same thing.

TIA for any help with this.

Marc

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan. I called and talked with Tech support and this sounds like what I need. They are out of stock for a few weeks, but I can make due until then. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Another solution (albeit round about) is to use an inverter.

I had the whine on my old BMW with the XM radio. I plugged a small inverter into the 12v socket and used the home adapter (AC plug) for the XM.

Problem solved!

Good Luck,

Lance

1 - 4 of 4 Posts