GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a "y" cord to plug into the factory aux. harness so that I can have my Xm and IPod plugged in all the time. I currently have a J&M XM that comes with a factory type plug to take the place of your aux. lead. I need a "Y" to plug the J&M and the factory aux. lead at the same time.
gl-goldwing06

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
gl-goldwing06 said:
I am looking for a "y" cord to plug into the factory aux. harness so that I can have my Xm and IPod plugged in all the time. I currently have a J&M XM that comes with a factory type plug to take the place of your aux. lead. I need a "Y" to plug the J&M and the factory aux. lead at the same time.
gl-goldwing06
Here is the best place to go to get an answer to your question:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=12

Welcome to GL1800Riders! :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have (had) the J&M XM hook up also and tried to hook up my Ipod by using a Y-Connector I purchased at Radio Shack, however it would not work (even with a ground loop isolator). We tried several different configuarations however there was extremely bad feedback (clicking) with both devices attached. I like J&M products (have the CFRG unit for Radar, cell phone, etc, ARAI helmets, Blue Tooth cell phone unit) but their XM hook-up only provides for one audio source. The J&M XM unit works great for just the XM radio and their customer service has been excellent, it just does not handle two audio inputs.

I ended up buying the Kennedy AuxSwitchSet2 along with the associated cables for the audio and power feeds for my XM radio and replacing the J&M unit with it. The Kennedy unit provides two auxillary inputs that will not interfere with each other. It also provides power to the XM radio and will hook up a radar detector and GPS It provides power for a second audio device, unfortunatly the power connection is not compatible with the IPOD. You have to either run the IPOD on battery or use something like the Electrical Connections power harness described below.

The Kennedy unit sets one device as the primary source and the other as the secondary source. If you are playing the secondary source (Ipod) and turn on your XM (primary) the unit automatically switches the input to the XM. If you are playing the Primary source (XM), turn it off -since it is the "master" and turn on the Ipod. To switch back to the XM, just turn on the XM - you do not have to turn the Ipod off, since it is the secondary source the Kennedy unit does it automatically. The Kennedy unit plugs into the IPOD headphone jack on top.

You may also want to consider Electrical Connection's IPOD wiring Harness to provide power to the IPOD so it stays charged. (The Kennedy units power output is not compatible with the IPOD therfore you only are using it for the audio feed). The EC harness also provides the audio feed out of the IPOD that can be routed to the Kennedy unit by changing the plug in adapters or clipping the adapters and soldering the red, white, and ground (black) wires to each other. Unfortunately the Kennedy unit and EC unit have diiferent size plugs and are not plug and play with each other. It is easy to do - not as bad as it sounds. Note - if you are not running a second audio device such as the XM radio. you only need the EC unit as it has an audio feed. The only problem it is like the J&M unit for the XM radio. It can only handle one audio source. By combining the two you get two audio inputs and a wiring harness that is compatible with the docking port on the IPOD. The Kenndy unit can handle the two audio feeds but not the power and the EC unit can handle the power but not the two audio feeds.

If you use the EC harness to supply power you will also need the ground loop isolator. Attach it between the EC power harness and the Kennedy unit otherwise the Kennedy unit will not function properly. If you don't use the filter, the Kennedy unit picks up intereference which it interprets as an audio signal and does not switch back and forth as it should and it also causes a weak or distored signal in the left stereo channel.

One other advantage of this set up is that it does not use the top headphone jack on the Ipod. The audio feed comes out the docking plug on the bottom (thru the EC harness) and it sounds better. If you do not buy the EC harness, the Kennedy unit plugs into the headphone jack on top of the Ipod. The bottom docking port is not used.

The best of both worlds would be if EC sold Kennedy the harness and have Kennedy incorporate it into their switch (hint. hint) so it would be plug and play.

·
Vendor
22,218 Posts
Jon Kennedy makes a DualAuxAD set unit that allows you to connect an Ipod, XM, GPS and Radar detector and feed them all into the AUX port. The nice part about this is that it allows you to completly turn off the Intercom, thus eliminating the major noise source in the system.

http://www.cellset.com/dualauxadset.html

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
for $5

radio shack sells a 1 to 2,

1/8 inch stereo adapter

that allows to plug two items into the aux

no need to spend tons of money

·
Registered
86 Posts
loren said:
for $5

1/8 inch stereo adapter

Loren- do you have to keep one of the devices un-plugged? I tried the Radio Shack splitter and it would not work with both devices attached. Even with the Ipod turned off there was really bad feedback.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Silverado--
Thanks for the great detailed solution.I'm new to this forum and it looks like it is going to be super.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
silverado said:
loren said:
for $5

1/8 inch stereo adapter

Loren- do you have to keep one of the devices un-plugged? I tried the Radio Shack splitter and it would not work with both devices attached. Even with the Ipod turned off there was really bad feedback.
i currently have an xm and a garmin nuvi in the same aux input, with no issues

i have had the ipod video 30 gig with the xm, it also was fine that way

i do have an electrical con inline noise supressor

·
Registered
547 Posts
Another option would be to run your Ipod through the auxiliary outlet, and run the XM radio through the FM connection. Merely follow the instructions with your XM radio, and you can transmit the XM signal to any one of several frequencies not being used in your area. I have my XM radio on one of the FM presets, so I can toggle between XM and local FM stations.
That would free up your auxiliary port, and make other solutions unnecessary.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Loren - thanks for response- when I hooked mine up I was using the Electrical Connections wiring harness that provides power to the Ipod also. Just using the Ipod battery with the Y- connection routed to the heaphone jack may make a difference. Were you running on battery or using a charger?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts