GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just purchased a 30GB IPOD, how do you go about wiring into sound system? Also is there anyway to mount on handlebars?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just plug it into the AUX sound pickup in the left fairing pouch. Select AUX on the sound system.
I haven't seen a dedicated ipod handlebar mount but someone is sure to have made one.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
RAM makes a very nice iPod bracket. Works great with my 30GB iPod (the one that came out just before the photo/video iPods.) Hopefully, they'll come out with one for the thinner video iPods. In the mean time, you can always do like most folks and just drop in in your left fairing pocket.

The one I have fits:
CRADLE DESIGN:
The RAM high strength plastic cradle is designed to hold the following Apple iPod units,
With Firewire Connection
• Apple iPod 5GB
• Apple iPod 10GB
With Dock Connection
• Apple iPod 10GB Generation 2
• Apple iPod 15GB Generation 2
• Apple iPod 30GB Generation 2
• Apple iPod 15GB Generation 3
• Apple iPod 20GB Generation 3
• Apple iPod 40GB Generation 3

NOTE: The cradle does not allow the connection to the Dock Connector found at the bottom of G2 and G3 iPods.

The cradle WILL NOT hold the Apple iPod 20GB with Firewire connection, as it is too thick for the cradle.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Here's what I suggest.
1. Get the ground loop isolator fro the AUX Input from Electrical connection so you can charge it and play it at the same time. I believe it comes with a long enough cord to place it in the right lockable pocket. You will also need a power adapter for that pocket. An alternative would be to place it into the trunk with the power outlet there. Leaving the IPOD in the left pocket is asking for trouble because you will forget it is in there when you turn the bike off. So far I have been lucky and it hasn't been stolen from the left pocket but as I say pure luck.

2. Griffin makes a FM modulator that will allow you to hook it up without any wires but if you ride in areas with no blank spots on the radio dial you will not be able to use it there. But in that case there should be a lot of radio stations to choose from. With the modulator I don't think you would need the isolator.

3. Set the IPOD to shuffle and turn in on when you start riding and forget it. If you want you can build playlists and set it to play them. I like to have a playlist of nothing but high energy up-tempo songs to work out to but also to wake you up when you get tired. It works.

You can also buy a wireless remote for the IPOD. I would not mount the IPOD anywhere on the bike because one, you don't want to be fiddling with it while driving and two, rain plays hell with it. Just start it playing before you start to ride and if a song comes on you hate hit the FM switch and listen to it for a few minutes. The break and commercial chatter is sometimes welcome. You might hear some news you need to. On 9-11 a friend was travelling listening to his IPOD and had no clue what was driving people crazy when he stopped for gas.

I have XM with my new 378 Garmin but I still like the IPOD. It seems the XM loses signal a lot when you've got mountains and trees.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I just mount my iPod with velcro right in front of me below the keys and above the push buttons. I also put my XM sat radio there. Real simple. I mount my XM antenna on my clutch fluid reservoir.......with....you guessed it...VELCRO

·
Registered
788 Posts
wv_wingman said:
... On 9-11 a friend was travelling listening to his IPOD and had no clue what was driving people crazy when he stopped for gas....
If he had been where I was when 9/11 happened, the radio reception wasn't existant and XM wasn't invented and wouldn't have been receivable if it did exist and that was all in the USA. I heard about it from a guy in a pickup truck who had a friend call him and inform him from sat. TV. Alaska!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
AUX hook-up

I have an 03, do they have the AUX hook-up in the left pouch? I was hoping to use a FM transmitter to operate my MP3 player, but I have not found a way to connect it yet.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yes they all have an aux input. It may need to be hooked up. A small cable should have came loose with the bike but if you can't find it just order the one from electrical connection with the ground loop isolator to take its place. But if you want to use the FM transmitter it requires no physical connection. It plugs into the ipod and transmits the signal to an FM station wirelessly. Hence no ground loop to isolate. The radio transmitter may pick up its own noise though.

·
Registered
657 Posts
ABTech2

I ride with mine in the trunk of the left fairing pocket (powered by the 12v receptacle in the pocket, or run it on battery in trunk) with the ABTech2 IR "waterproof" remote velcroed to the Honda insignia below the key ignition. You can change tracks (fwd or reverse), pause, raise or lower volume with the remote, did I mention it is waterproof? I believe mine cost me $39.95 online and it replaced my Griffin Air-Click (which was not waterproof). The ABTech2 has a pass thru remote sensor that goes on the bottom of the IPod (mine is the 60G video IPod), which means you can charge it also while you are using it. I went this route because the video IPods no longer have the remote sensor slot next to the headphone jack in the top of the IPod like they used to. The ABTech2 solves this problem. Good Luck.
Dennis

·
Registered
425 Posts
I wouldn't mount it on the handlebars. IPOD has a hard drive which means moving parts. Vibration on the bars will kill it. I know this first hand. I have since moved it to below the keys with velcro(like Elbando) and have not had a problem since. I use the car adapter kit from the store which has a headset jack and volume control right on it. Plug it into the ACC port in the left pocket, plug the aux input cord in, adjust the volume on the adapter to match the radio volume and away you go. I also created clearance for the cord to pass out of the pocket lid around the intercom plug keeper.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Re: AUX hook-up

Wildheart said:
I have an 03, do they have the AUX hook-up in the left pouch? I was hoping to use a FM transmitter to operate my MP3 player, but I have not found a way to connect it yet.
The FM transmitters don't do as good a job as the hard wire, I've found, plus you can get interference from real radio stations in big cities.. I bought a 6' aux cord from a guy on ebay and ran it back to the trunk, and use a DLO charger to plug it into the trunk power outlet (which I also had to install). I have a wireless remote on it, so if i'm not in the mood for a particular song, i just hit the "next" button. The isolator loop isn't that critical. You can get a little whine (very faint) in the background when the ipod is hooked to the charger, but I only hook mine up when the battery runs down, every couple of weeks...

If I had to do it again, I'd prolly splurge on the Electrical Connections iPod interface, which powers, isolates, and feeds the sound into the aux input all in one unit. I'll prolly get one one of these days, when they have a sale or I hit the lottery.. ;) They didn't have it out when I got mine..

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Here's the set up I use with my iPod:

http://www.electricalconnection.com/audio/gl18-ipod.htm

It feeds the cleanest signal possible to your sound system, keeps your iPod charged up for you on the road, and even turns the iPod off when turn off your bike. You will also want the GLI, also available from EC.

Like some others, I don't bother with a remote. I just set the iPod to shuffle, tuck it away in the left pocket, and ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts