GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've done a bit of research on the forums on on the Internet to see if an Ipod can be integrated into the wing so that its controlled with the factory handlebar controls on the wing.

I've come across the GL1800 iPod Adapter (with controls) from Electrical Connection. Has anyone installed one of these on your wing, or have you come across another interface that allows you to control the playlist or track with the wing's CD changer controls? Also, what Ipod do you have? I know some of these interfaces have issues with the Ipod Touch, and iPhone's.

If you have, i'm interested to hear your experience. I'd love to buy one, but i've had some "bad" experiences with these type of interface boxes with my truck. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I'd really rather not drop $179 + shipping to Canada + plus all our bloody taxes to find it's not all its cracked up to be.

Thanks!

Jason

·
Registered
216 Posts
Take a look in the Electronic Section of this board and you will find several threads on this.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My 08 came with the ipod connector I removed left pocket and plugged it in put radio on AUX and play away. It only controls the volume you still have to use ipod to change songs. I velcro'd mine to top of left pocket and it works great for me.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have the EC unit and it works great! Some guys have had some issues, and the enclosed directions are probably the poorest that Lewis has ever written, but a few others have posted spot on instructions to make it perform as designed

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
My 08 came with the ipod connector I removed left pocket and plugged it in put radio on AUX and play away. It only controls the volume you still have to use ipod to change songs. I velcro'd mine to top of left pocket and it works great for me.
there you go, actual cost ... zero

a fine investment and it works

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've got the new set up and it works great for me......I use an:thumbup: I-pod nano 8G and have over 500 songs on it. I hear it will discharge your battery after about 5 days but I always hook up a trickle charger when not riding anyway. Oh ya......and mine is paused when you start the bike but just switch to fm then right back to cd and away it goes and you can use the bar control to skip songs and change playlist but I just shuffle all the songs anyway. Hope this helps. I'd buy it again anyday

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
If you mean this EC adaptor (http://www.electricalconnection.com/audio/gl18-ipod.htm), I have one installed for my 8GB iPod Nano. It works as advertised. If you want to control the iPod while driving, you need an iJet remote however. I only have the inexpensive unit that controls just the Forward, Reverse, Pause, and Sleep functions. However, if you purchase the more expensive iJet remoter with LCD screen, you can also view your songs and playlists as well.

·
Registered
911 Posts
thanks to Bartman....I invested about 60 bucks in an "ipod mini" with an "air click remote", both bought off of ebay....ipod sits safely out of the way inside the left pocket and the remote attaches to the handlebar....works great...tons of volume....good luck which ever way you go....ride safe...

Scott

p.s. I power the ipod thru the power plug installed in the left pocket

·
Registered
380 Posts
I bought the RAM mount and mounted it to the handlebar clamp, run the audio wire from the left pocket along with power from the aux plug, press the AUX button on the radio and everything is right in front of you. I have an IPOD Nano, it's mounted right there on the handlebar and all the buttons are easy to get to so you can use any function you want. It's a lot cheaper and NO complicated wiring to do. If it rains, pull a ziplock bag over it and you can still access all the buttons.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
there are ipod bargains on ebay

i just bought Laura , a refurb gen 4 nano, the wild colored ones, 8 gb

$90 shipped after the live cashback

added a 2 year warranty from square trade for $18

a perfect music machine for a bike rider

solid state memory

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I've got my iPod already plugged into the AUX input on my wing, but with it in the left fairing pocket, it makes it impossible to skip a track or two while riding.

I never knew there were remotes for iPods out there! While I cannot find anyone in Canada who sells the iJet, i'll just wait a couple of weeks and take a ride on the bike to Buffalo NY and check out FYE, Target and BestBuy and see if they have them. That'll be the cheapest solution.

I still think i'll order up the Electronic Connection harness for the iPod so I can connect it up to the CD input, and free up the AUX input for my XM receiver. Its nice to see a couple of people have them, and they do infact work. But in the mean time, the remote will work nicely.

Jason

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I used the one that the Amazon link takes you directly to (I would suggest clicking on the link that says
and purchase the one from Grom).

I had to use the Y cable in order to make the connection between the CD changer connector under the seat and the connector on the pigtail of the device (they are both male and the Y cable has 2 female connected to 1 male).

As I said, I am still experimenting. The random/repeat features don't seem to work but, everything else seems to be as advertised. When emailing them for tech support I have not informed them this is not a Honda car. I have a friend locally that is going to try it as well and he will hopefully be able to tell me that the random/repeat works for him.

·
Registered
198 Posts
After some experimenting (with the Grom unit), I have found the random (and possibly the repeat track/disk features) do not work from the controls. I typically do not mess with the music once it is going. My resolution in this case is to set the controls in basic mode (Advanced mode is anything but CD 1), and set the random play from the Ipod itself. This works well for me and leaves my AUX input available for other uses.

If you prefer to select songs yourself, you can still use the CD controls to move through playlists and song selections.

All in all not a bad addition and certainly much cheaper than most others.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts