GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question ??. How many different interfaces are available for the Gl1800 And are there any that stand out above the other.
Thanks Chuck

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I had the E/C version. It failed after about a year.

But I switched to the soundgate, which is easier to use for me. It sounds great.

I have other J&M equipment that I like very much, but not the I-pod adapter.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I just plug the iPod into the AUX cable and run a playlist. Works well enough for me.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I don't know how the year of the bike affects anything, but this is MY experience:

1. EC Original Ipod interface - into AUX input.. Works great. Installed it in the trunk and use a griffin road trip remote to control it.

2. Soundgate. Ez to install, couldn't get it to control the ipod. Sent it back

3. J&M. Ex to install, locked up my radio. Had to disconnect the battery to get the radio to reset. Sent it back.

Neither the J&M nor the Soundgate, btw, provide a way to pause the music. It plays until you manually stop it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Question ??. How many different interfaces are available for the Gl1800 And are there any that stand out above the other.
Thanks Chuck
Thanks for all the replies.

The reason I was asking the above question was because I have a IPOD interface that I am not very happy with. It works just fine for about the 1st. 15/20 min. and then the distortion sets in and I have to go back to my XM witch is ok as far as XM goes. I want to dump my XM if I can find an interface that will give me clear sound . I had the 501 speakers and switched to J&M's The radio was sent into a Honda repair/service station and the report came back that all systems were working as they should. I suppose it could be my IPOD but I rather dote that. Also had Larry's upgrade done and that helped across the board. My gripe is the distortion with the Ipod/interface set up . What do you guys think ?? a new IPOD or interface ?
Chuck

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Which one do you have?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Kinda sounds like a new interface is in order. I'm assuming you can play the bike audio system for long periods with no distortion AND you can play the Ipod for long periods with no distortion. As a test you might just try the suggestion of Ipod to "Aux in" and see if the distortion ever presents itself. It would be an inexpensive test...and you might just like it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EC Interface

Ok to get back to The interface , The ipod sound when plugged into the AUX. port sounds just fine !! I also tried a different IPOD with the interface and that one also had the distortion just as bad as mine so all fingers are pointing to the Interface. It is an EC unit. I bought it in Aug of 09 It had a little distortion shortly after I bought it. I called EC about it that fall and they had me try reseting it and never got anywhere with them or it. The riding season ended and I put it out of my mind thinking I would deal with it the next summer, well last summer I hardly had a chance to ride so hear we are into the 2011 riding season and the distortion thing Is to the point where you don't want listen to it.
EC said sorry they cant help me So All I can say is, TO THE TRASH CAN with EC's INTERFACE !. Garbage in Garbage OUT. :eek:4:

Chuck

·
Registered
507 Posts
Neither the J&M nor the Soundgate, btw, provide a way to pause the music. It plays until you manually stop it.
The Soundgate pauses the iPod if you go to any other audio source, if you go back to CD it picks up where it left off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Someone suggested http://www.gromaudio.com/index.html for iPod so I asked their tech dept "Do you have a product so that my Ipod can charge while playing AND I have thumb control via my hand grip toggle switches?" and the reply was "IPD3 unit can charge ipod and play music. We do not have 100% confirmed compatibility of thumb control, however, if it changes the tracks of your radio then it should work. Should there be any incompatibilities, we offer a 30 day return period."
Does anyone have the answer??

·
Registered
195 Posts
Soundgate for me. Much better sound than the Aux connection in the left pocket. Tried the EC - could not get it to work properly - put it on the self and bought the soundgate. Works very well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Someone suggested http://www.gromaudio.com/index.html for iPod so I asked their tech dept "Do you have a product so that my Ipod can charge while playing AND I have thumb control via my hand grip toggle switches?" and the reply was "IPD3 unit can charge ipod and play music. We do not have 100% confirmed compatibility of thumb control, however, if it changes the tracks of your radio then it should work. Should there be any incompatibilities, we offer a 30 day return period."
Does anyone have the answer??
I have been using the GROM unit now since 2009 without any issues. Yes you do have thumb control to change tracks or discs.
Dennie

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
I have the EC unit and have not had any problems with it at all. My only complaint about it would be that there is no easy way to pause the Ipod when it is playing. You have to switch to Aux to make it pause. I'm not sure, but I don't think any of them provide play/pause function, simply cause it wasn't part of the Honda CD changer functions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Soundgate question

OK, here's my question, or actually, it's my bitch but maybe someone has an answer:
Let's say you have 20 albums on your Ipod. You drive along and are just jamming along digging your tunes and life is great. You stop for gas and a cold drink and someone says, "Gee, that's a great system you have." Do you have any Willie Nelson on there? Now, you know you have him on there but the Ipod is connected to your Soundgate and my experience is that once it's hooked up, you get NOTHING on your Ipod. So, you have 20 albums on there, Willie is there but how in the hell do you find On the Road Again" in twenty albums when your Honda screen doesn't show what or where you really are in the Ipod???
I think Soundgate people cranked this product out in a half baked way. The Ipos is VASTLY superior in function to what this Soundgate unit does. They have taken a small fragment of what the Ipod is capable of and sold it as the ultimate source for the Wing. If I were an engineer, this item needs a ton of work to make it even half as good as the Ipod. Trouble is, I don't know what alternative is out there.
I see that I'm on track 1, song 6 but where I put a song is a total loss.
Am I all wet on this? If I am, by all means enlighten me! I admit, I'm not the smartest crayon in the box when it comes to electronics, but things like this have to be user friendly. We all don't have PHd's in computer technology.

Fill me in, please!
Thanks
Ted:eek:4:

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
OK, here's my question, or actually, it's my bitch but maybe someone has an answer:
Let's say you have 20 albums on your Ipod. You drive along and are just jamming along digging your tunes and life is great. You stop for gas and a cold drink and someone says, "Gee, that's a great system you have." Do you have any Willie Nelson on there? Now, you know you have him on there but the Ipod is connected to your Soundgate and my experience is that once it's hooked up, you get NOTHING on your Ipod. So, you have 20 albums on there, Willie is there but how in the hell do you find On the Road Again" in twenty albums when your Honda screen doesn't show what or where you really are in the Ipod???
I think Soundgate people cranked this product out in a half baked way. The Ipos is VASTLY superior in function to what this Soundgate unit does. They have taken a small fragment of what the Ipod is capable of and sold it as the ultimate source for the Wing. If I were an engineer, this item needs a ton of work to make it even half as good as the Ipod. Trouble is, I don't know what alternative is out there.
I see that I'm on track 1, song 6 but where I put a song is a total loss.
Am I all wet on this? If I am, by all means enlighten me! I admit, I'm not the smartest crayon in the box when it comes to electronics, but things like this have to be user friendly. We all don't have PHd's in computer technology.

Fill me in, please!
Thanks
Ted:eek:4:
As always I start these posts with a reminder that the GL1800 radio is basically the same from 2001 to 2010 there were some changes but operationally very little so we are forcing a radio that was designed in 1998 to deal with technology that was not around or even considered until about 4 or 5 years ago, we are forcing the radio out of the dark ages

Trouble is the GL1800 will not display anything but Track/Disc the non navigation bikes know about 9 CD's and 99 track and the navigation 6 CD's and 99 track they have a set vocabulary they can draw upon, modern radios accept any text sent to them this radio sees command to display its limited library the Soundgate unit is actually putting out more info but the radio cannot deal with it as its old technology designed even before CD disc info was around it only supports CD emulation for external connections, if you were to plug it into a SAT ready radio you would see all the info.

Now your going to say the XM bike shows XM info well that is because the XM is via the navigation so the info is on the NAV display and not via the radio the radio only supplies a audio pathway piggybacked onto the CD input by selecting XM you just turn off the CD and the XM takes over.

Dont have the Soundgate info in front of me but pretty sure you can set it to allow display on the iPod but you would need to install the iPod where you can see it. I believe the new J&M player allows the iPod display to work you see nothing on the bike display changing when in iPod mode.

The Soundgate guys did by far the best job of any interface they even went the extra mile and paid the money (about $20 per unit) to use the Apple certified chipset so no "Not Designed For iPod" warnings you get with other devices.

Now to answer your question make your albums or artists playlists you can toggle through them by holding the control up or down or use preset 3 or 4 you can see them on the display or you can remember the order

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
OK found what I was looking for you need to switch the iPod display modes using the "6" preset you can then see what your looking for.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts