GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets hear of some of your ideas on IPOD isolation for your wing.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what are you talking about? Personally, I don't like to leave my iPod isolated for very long! :lol:

·
Registered
19,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
isolation against vibration from the harsh suspension

·
Registered
49 Posts
I run my Iriver MP3 player velcroed to a Ram Mount Base and run some small wire around the whole shebang for safety.

Kennedy systems wiring runs it into my Aux input on the Honda factory sound system.

4k miles and no worries.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I went even further than that... started with a 1" thick piece of scrap foam, then traced out and cut the dimensions and angles of the left pocket on a sheet of paper, transferred that to the foam and cut out the pattern, then laid the iPod onto it, along the left edge, traced it on the top and along the edge for thickness, then cut the whole thing in half latterally with a bread knife, then cut out the shape of the iPod from the top half of the foam, and in so doing, created a nice little nest for the iPod (OK, long sentence :wink: )

Did the whole thing in about a half hour watching TV with the pocket in my lap. The kicker is, now I'm not so sure I want the bloody thing in the left pocket at all and am thinking about the right pocket instead. I kill myself.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ive only ridden with my nano twice as i just received it for christmas.
i have it in a belkin leather like case and just sitting in the left pocket.

the roads here are any thing but smooth and some have grooves cut in the concrete for water drainage that really causes alot of vibration

i havent had any problems yet but ive only ridden about 2 hundred miles so far i do plan on cutting some foam just to lay it on in the future though.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
My iPod Mini rests on a piece of bubble wrap in the left pocket. No skips or errors, even on the harshest bumps. My only concern is the heat in that pocket, since the radiator is directly beneath it, but so far, no harm done, apparently.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
My 1G Mini has no moving parts, I just leave it dancing around in there.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My iPod is a 4th Gen, and prone to lockups occasionally which is why I carved out a foam bed for it. I don't think it was heat, but jostling probably. Other Pod models don't have this issue so I'm told. Until I went with foam, mine rested on bubble pack too, which did seem to help.

·
Registered
19,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
salyzyn said:
My 1G Mini has no moving parts, I just leave it dancing around in there.
But doesn't it have a hard drive?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
i have a video ipod.. i have a leather case wit a belt clip.. when i put it in the trunk i clip it to the carpet trunk liner to keep it from sliding around.. no prob so far.. 60 gb video ipod..

·
Registered
19,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
joe flash good luck i trash my hard drive that way on my IPOD

it don't like the vibes

·
Vendor
22,057 Posts
FYI, the Ipod Mini and Nano models don't have hard drives and won't ever lock up from vibration.

The 60gb Ipod has twice the onboard RAM memory as the other models, and as such, is less susceptible to shock.

I have found the best way is to let the Ipod lay loose on a piece of foam so that it can "float" around a bit. If it is fastened down or hard mounted, it will get more vibration transmitted to it.

My 2nd gen 20gb Ipod has been rock solid for over 100K miles sitting loose in the right pocket on a small layer of foam. It has held up the best. I used a 3rd Gen on the bike for about 6k miles before it's hard drive crashed. My 4th Gen has also locked up several times on the bike. For some reason, my early model 2nd Gen has never skipped a beat.

I now have a 8gb Nano I use on the FJR (since it get a bit more vibration) and I really like not having to worry about the hard drive or having it lock up on me. I re-compressed my Mp3 songs to AAC (Mp4) format for the Nano and managed to get about 3,800 songs on it at 64kbs.

·
Registered
19,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fred H. said:
FYI, the Ipod Mini and Nano models don't have hard drives and won't ever lock up from vibration.

The 60gb Ipod has twice the onboard RAM memory as the other models, and as such, is less susceptible to shock.

I have found the best way is to let the Ipod lay loose on a piece of foam so that it can "float" around a bit. If it is fastened down or hard mounted, it will get more vibration transmitted to it.

My 2nd gen 20gb Ipod has been rock solid for over 100K miles sitting loose in the right pocket on a small layer of foam. It has held up the best. I used a 3rd Gen on the bike for about 6k miles before it's hard drive crashed. My 4th Gen has also locked up several times on the bike. For some reason, my early model 2nd Gen has never skipped a beat.

I now have a 8gb Nano I use on the FJR (since it get a bit more vibration) and I really like not having to worry about the hard drive or having it lock up on me. I re-compressed my Mp3 songs to AAC (Mp4) format for the Nano and managed to get about 3,800 songs on it at 64kbs.
so Fred does this mean the 1gb IPOd shuffle (the one that is real small) has no hard drive? Thanks

·
Registered
19,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Fred-that is what I wanted to hear

·
Registered
61 Posts
Fred H. said:
Yes, the Ipod shuffle has no hard drive.

The only Ipod models with internal hard drives are 20 gigabyte, 30gb, 40gb, and 60gb models.

The Mini, Nano, and shuffle are all flash memory based and totally shock proof.
A slight correction.

All Nanos and Shuffles are flash based storage and have no moving parts and should never skip.

The Mini (discontinued as of 09/07/2005) uses a microdrive for it's storage. Since it's a hard drive, it has the same moving parts 'problem' that the 20+ gig Ipods have. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_mini

1 - 19 of 19 Posts