GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really appreciate any help installing my Ipod in the left fairing pocket. I would like to attach the remote control within hands reach outside the pocket and possibly wire the car adaptor up for continuous power. For starters, how do you get the pocket out? I would imagine once I got that out I could run an extention wire for the remote....Help!!

·
Registered
788 Posts
There are push-pin 'rivets' in each corner of the pocket. Depress the centers with a pointy tool and simply lift the pins out, thereby freeing the pocket. Is that the answer you were looking for? But, you had to do that already to install the AUX audio lead, didn't you?

G

·
0 Posts
open left fairing pocket cover and remove the 4 clips that hold it in place, lift it out.

The big round grommit in the bottom of the pocket comes out so wires can be run thru, or it makes a GREAT corndog holder :yes2:

·
Registered
877 Posts
This is how to get the pocket out. You could buy the accessory socket that mounts into the pocket but if you plug it into the wire harness per instructions it will only be hot with the ignition or accessory on. You could wire it direct to the battery through an inline fuse if you want it hot at all times. My MP3 player will go all day on the 2 AA batteries and I use a quick charger to recharge them at the end of the day.
http://www.wingtechtips.com/1800epss/ep ... %20System&

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
I put mine in the right pocket as this way I can lock it.

There is a wireless RF remote that EngineedAudio sells for the new generation Ipods for $40.
It works well and solves the cord problem.
If you don't use the CB switches it is possible to wire them up to the Ipod remote.

I have a full set of photos on how to do this here:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/ipod

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Fred, I have my Ipod installed in the RH pocket also. Have an Engineered Audio wireless remote that I would like to hard wire to the tune/disk switch on the LH handlebar. Want to use it to move thru the songs.

Looking at the manual it appears that that switch is connected to both the radio and the CD player all the time. It only operates the one that is powered up. Plan to access that switch at the large connector up forward of the RH pocket. Am I correct re. the operation of that switch? Will then add a momentary switch somewhere to turn the Ipod on/off. The volume will be cotrolled by the audio system.

Would realy appreciate your comments re. this subject.

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
If I understand what you are proposing correctly, then you want to leave the existing connections on the handlebar switch intact, right?

This adds another layer of complexity from what I did, as I disconnected all the existing wires to the CB controls and then substituted my own. I did this because I found some resistance between the existing wiring. It was not a simple open/close circuit.

The tune/disc controller may present the same problem. You may get current passing back through the audio unit circuity, so it may not be infinite resistance even when the switch is open. Are you following me? And if this resistance it low enough, it may make the Ipod remote think you are pushing a button when you aren't. You may just have to experment with it and see if it works or not. I also might have some concerns that you could end up applying a voltage to the Ipod remote that would at the minimum make it not work, and at the worst damage it. The battery for the Ipod remote would be isolated so you probably couldn't damage your audio unit on the bike, but still I would go slow and take lots of measurements before hooking it up and smoke testing it.

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Thanks Fred. Yes I did plan on leaving everything connected to the switch. Which in this case would only be the audio unit. Your comment re. slow and easy is well founded. Diode isolation would not work in this situation. Am also thinking about locating the CD player connector and tapping into it since it is not being used.

·
Registered
533 Posts
MD Rider to VaRider, over

Here's my lazy man's mounting directions:

Take a 1/8" rattail file and put two small "U" grooves in the forward rim of the left pocket (this is the water proof rim that makes contact with the lid when closed. The grooves should be about 1 3/4" to 2" apart so the iPod remote will fit outside the pocket and the balck AUX cord and the white remote cords can go through the grooves with no damage.

The remote is now going to be between the left vent and left pocket door and within easy reach at a stop. When it rains, just pop the remote into the pocket and it is out of harms way. Yes, I ruined one remote by allowing it to get a couple of drops on it, so be aware that it has no water resistance whatsoever.

I don't use the power hook-up that is available below the left pocket. I simply turn on the iPod and let it pay all day (good for 8 to 10 hours). Then I charge it overnight for the next day. This charging requirement also reminds me to bring the iPod in from the unlocked pocket overnight.

Of course, I am a KISS devotee.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts