GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know this apple stuff gets me. The wife got a new IPOD and wants to connect it to the MP3 jack in the fairing pocket. Well dummy here thought you would just plug it in. Ding that dont work. So then I found a way to convert Itunes to MP3. Figure I will just load mp3 onto the IPOD. But before I go off half cocked .....

Ok heres the jist. I just want to plug the ipod into the pocket and let it shuffle through 'her songs'. Dont care to control it or anything just play while toolin down the road. If someone knows how I can make this happen I would be highly appreciative. Mama would be happy and you know the rest. Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Strange... I plugged the AUX jack into the headphone jack on my IPhone the other day and it played fine..? :shrug:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yup.

Unless there is a mix of yours and hers on the same pod.

Then you have other options:

Make a playlist of all her songs, then choose playlist and shuffle

OR

Tag her files with her name as the genre, then choose genre, her genre, and shuffle

I'm sure there are a bunch of other options.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just plugged the IPOD into the MP3 jack. Hit AUX and hit play on the IPOD. I pushed the volume all the way up and just got the plug firing noise.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I just plugged the IPOD into the MP3 jack. Hit AUX and hit play on the IPOD. I pushed the volume all the way up and just got the plug firing noise.

Not to state the obvious, but the mute switch is NOT depressed and you do have the AUX volume enabled?

By the way - FIL is 30 years USAF retired Chief, and I'm over 29 Navy.

:)

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
I'm a Mac hater so I own nothing from Apple...however an IPOD has ear buds...plug the "Aux" plug where the ear buds plug in on the IPOD and it should work, every brand of phone/MP3 players I've tried have all worked.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Gots to turn the volume up on the ipod so the aux input will see the input signal. If you have the volume turned down like you would for listening through ear buds, ain't high enough to do the trick.

Start the ipod like you normally would, use the scroll wheel to turn the volume up to 3/4 or higher, plug into the aux input cable. Note, have the aux volume level on the bike turned down before you do this, because if you still have it turned up from earlier testing you and your speakers will not like the results.

Also, if this doesn't work for you, 1) make sure mute is not pushed in, 2) make sure the audio output is set for helmet or speakers as you desire, 3) turn up the aux volume - you should have plenty of sound by level 3 or 4, 4) make sure the ipod is not on pause, and 5) make sure your aux cable is fully plugged into the bike's harness and didn't work loose.

If the above no worky, then check for continuity on your aux cable. Unplug from the bike and check pin to plug to make sure you don't have an open in the cable.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys. It will , and I just checked , play the old MP3 player. (you gotta understand it doesnt hold all her music). I think its that apple format that the Gold wing audio dont like. She did something with Itunes that 'converted her music from CD's and all. I am in the process of converting (actually making a copy of all and making ithem mp3.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Huh??

Ok guys. It will , and I just checked , play the old MP3 player. (you gotta understand it doesnt hold all her music). I think its that apple format that the Gold wing audio dont like. She did something with Itunes that 'converted her music from CD's and all. I am in the process of converting (actually making a copy of all and making ithem mp3.
Hey Ed, you got me scratching my head now. The bike does not give a rat's hiney whether it's a MP3, AAC, MP4 or anything else. The audio signal is an analog output, not digital. When you plug the aux cable into the ipod's speaker/headphone jack, you are plugging into an analog output from the ipod. Try performing the steps of my earlier post (but you can leave out step 5 since it works with a different audio source, and the check the harness part). Do plug a set of headphones into the ipod and make sure the dang thing is working. If you got music, and the bike works with a different source, then see steps 1 to 4 on earlier post.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Mr Ed,

The audio output from the 1/8 stereo jack has no idea what format you are playing and it does not care.

I don't mean to be smart, but I wan't to be simple here.

If you have a cover on the player, pull it off. The plug may not fully engage the internal contacts in the player.

Try this for us. Take the wife and her player out to the bike. Have her use a pair of headphones/earbuds/external speakers and ensure her music is playing properly.

Have the bike key in the AUX position so the radio is playing but the bike will not run. Tune your favorite local station and make sure you can hear the music out of the bikes speakers.

Take the speakers off the IPOD and plug in the aux input from the bikes stereo. Push the AUX button on the bikes radio. You should hear the IPOD play now. You stated her old MP3 player worked in the aux jack. If the old player works, the IPOD should work.

It is that simple.

I hope I have helped.

Ronnie

·
Registered
51 Posts
Were you trying to shuffle through specific songs or just hitting play?

There's a difference.
When I used mine I just picked an album on my phone and hit play.

Something you could try..... Turn the bike on and choose AUX. Take the iPod, plug headphones in to make sure you have music playing. Turn the volume all the way up on the iPod and then unplug the headphones and plug in the AUX from the bike in their place. As long as there is a signal at the headphone jack, I would think the bike should play it.

"EDIT" looks like I was a little late with my post :)

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Apple does not require proprietary headphones do they? Would not surprise me but I'm not aware of it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Folks your questions helped. And your experience.

Ok the ipod is working with ear plugs but moving it to the pocket jack and I got jack.... Now what I did and it worked. I converted everything to MP3 and created a folder I called MP3. (that is suppose to be funny.) I plug the Ipod in and it played the mp3 folder like a champ. Tunes filling the air and the wife smiled. (this is a good thing) punch any other playlist and there aint even crickets coming out of the speakers. Of course I check the helmets and I can direct the MP3 play list to them also. Again nothing on any of the original play lists but the MP3 list is on.

Now I know why I bought her 160 gigs of IPOD.

So thanks to all you it is nice to be able to have a conversation and get much needed help.

Now you want a chuckle???? She is loading 80 hours of music. Enough music to never hear the same song twice while we wind our way to the Great State of Texas. BTW I have good news - I do get a vote on every piece of music on the playlist. And I got bad news whilst I get a vote she gets 2 votes cause its her Ipod.

Thanks again yall the best:p

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Thanks Folks your questions helped. And your experience.

Ok the ipod is working with ear plugs but moving it to the pocket jack and I got jack.... Now what I did and it worked. I converted everything to MP3 and created a folder I called MP3. (that is suppose to be funny.) I plug the Ipod in and it played the mp3 folder like a champ. Tunes filling the air and the wife smiled. (this is a good thing) punch any other playlist and there aint even crickets coming out of the speakers. Of course I check the helmets and I can direct the MP3 play list to them also. Again nothing on any of the original play lists but the MP3 list is on.

Now I know why I bought her 160 gigs of IPOD.

So thanks to all you it is nice to be able to have a conversation and get much needed help.

Now you want a chuckle???? She is loading 80 hours of music. Enough music to never hear the same song twice while we wind our way to the Great State of Texas. BTW I have good news - I do get a vote on every piece of music on the playlist. And I got bad news whilst I get a vote she gets 2 votes cause its her Ipod.

Thanks again yall the best:p
Very odd as the Aux jack does not know or care what format is being used. If it played with the ear buds it should play through the Aux...O'well... as long as you got it working.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
^^^^^^:agree:

Something else is going on. The IPOD output is analog (not mp3 and not acc) not digital.

Farmgirl uses her ipod continuously wia the pocket aux connection and all tunes on the ipod are in 'apple' format...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts