GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm fairly new to the MP3 world but am considering the IPOD 8GB Nano for my new wing. I recentally installed the 12 volt cigarette adapter on the bike ( that turns on & off with the ignition) and hooked it up to the factory plug in the left pocket. My question is, if I buy the 12 volt adapter that is made for & plugs into the IPOD, will the IPOD's power go off with the bike or will the IPOD still stay on since it has an internal battery? I'm hoping that it will go off as I keep forgetting to turn off the battery operated MP3 player that I now use. Thanks for any help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
Wing777 said:
Hi all,
I'm fairly new to the MP3 world but am considering the IPOD 8GB Nano for my new wing. I recentally installed the 12 volt cigarette adapter on the bike ( that turns on & off with the ignition) and hooked it up to the factory plug in the left pocket. My question is, if I buy the 12 volt adapter that is made for & plugs into the IPOD, will the IPOD's power go off with the bike or will the IPOD still stay on since it has an internal battery? I'm hoping that it will go off as I keep forgetting to turn off the battery operated MP3 player that I now use. Thanks for any help!
The adapter made for the iPod by Electrical Connection will indeed stop the play on your iPod when the key is turned off. It will turn off a minute or so later. You'll also great sound through through that connector! You might want to get the GLI filter from EC while you're at it. This is the set-up I use, and I'm very happy with it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
I bought the 30 gig IPOD with Video and I just use the internal battery. I get 9 hours of use and that is plenty and if I run out I can switch over to the XM Radio which I will probably be using most of the time anyway unless I just want to listen to special songs that I like on my IPOD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for taking the time to answer - I'll check out electrical connection for the power cord! Cliff
Son Of Thunder ---- I went to the website and they do have one for $99.95 ......... is this the one you are talking about and it does say" will not work on nano ipods :?: Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
Wing777 said:
Thanks guys for taking the time to answer - I'll check out electrical connection for the power cord! Cliff
Son Of Thunder ---- I went to the website and they do have one for $99.95 ......... is this the one you are talking about and it does say" will not work on nano ipods :?: Thanks
Ummm.... yeah, that's the one. I'd forgotten that it won't work with the Nano. In fact, I was thinking about switching to the Nano, because it's solid state. Perhaps a call to Lewis at EC (or a PM, since he's a member of the board) could shed some light on that.

I don't know if that's still true of the new re-designed Nanos or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I was at Target this past week looking at all the IPODs and accessories, the salesman showed me a 12volt cord for the Nanos for $19.95. Plugs into a cigarette lighter. If the power will go off to the Nano when I turn off the key, I'll most likely get the 8 GB one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Wing777, make sure you have a ground loop isolator (GLI) in the audio circuit or you will have a nasty buzz in your headset.

You don't notice it when you are running off of the internal battery. But, once you plug the iPod into power, you will get the buzz. The GLI will fix that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Wing777, have you considered either the 30 or 60 gig IPOD with Video??? They are coming down in price and you can store as much music and photos as your heart desires and it doesn't cost that much more to have an abundance of memory plus a battery that lasts for 8 to 9 hours. Then after riding I take it off for security purposes and then charge for the next day's ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Nano

Just started using a 6 GB Nano. A lot of the accessories for IPOD do not work on it. I was looking for a remote, but haven't found one yet with a pass through for the audio connection. I used it this past weekend, had it on constantly except when we stopped for the night. Went two full days on a charge with plenty of charge left. Just take my laptop and plug it into the usb port to recharge the batteries.
I am sure there will be more accessories available as they get more popular.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
My 30 gig IPOD with Video also charges thru the USB port so that is cool!!! I have about 9 hours of charge so why do I need a wired connection to my battery??? You can also include photos to show friends or others pictures so it is well worth it in my opinion to just opt for the 30 gig IPOD and forget hard wiring power to it.

Mine came with a remote which I don't use because I have it mounted and all I have to do it skip to next song if I don't like that song. The remote would help when needing to increase or decrease volume having gloves on. Can't do that without the remote, have to take gloves off!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
xxxrider said:
My 30 gig IPOD with Video also charges thru the USB port so that is cool!!! I have about 9 hours of charge so why do I need a wired connection to my battery???
Well, I noticed a huge difference in sound between the sound through the earphone jack and the sound I get through the docking port with my wiring harness! Plus, I'd sometimes forget to turn my iPod off... However, if you're happy with what you have, don't mess with it!
 

·
Resident BBQ Expert
Joined
·
13,862 Posts
if you need power cords for ipods of all types

look on ebay

about $6 shipped

i got a pair for our 30 gig video unit, for $9 shipped

just in case i damage one, ill have a spare
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Son of Thunder said:
xxxrider said:
My 30 gig IPOD with Video also charges thru the USB port so that is cool!!! I have about 9 hours of charge so why do I need a wired connection to my battery???
Well, I noticed a huge difference in sound between the sound through the earphone jack and the sound I get through the docking port with my wiring harness! Plus, I'd sometimes forget to turn my iPod off... However, if you're happy with what you have, don't mess with it!
Well, I get tremendous sound hooking up thru my stereo earphone jack. Also, when I hook up my Bose Quiet Comfort2 Noise Cancelling Headphones. I am just blown away with the quality of the sound. If it could be better than I would be really pleased.

Can you get a wiring harness for the 30 gig IPOD to hardwire into the bike? So thw sound is transmitted thru the earphone port and also the charging port at the bottom of the IPOD??? Didn't know that but since you can buy a docking station that sits in the cradel only connected thru the port at the bottom of the IPOD then I guess it would have a stereo signal at that location as well but I would think that the signal would be the same at the earphone port as it would at the charging port.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
xxxrider said:
Well, I get tremendous sound hooking up thru my stereo earphone jack. Also, when I hook up my Bose Quiet Comfort2 Noise Cancelling Headphones. I am just blown away with the quality of the sound. If it could be better than I would be really pleased.

Can you get a wiring harness for the 30 gig IPOD to hardwire into the bike? So thw sound is transmitted thru the earphone port and also the charging port at the bottom of the IPOD??? Didn't know that but since you can buy a docking station that sits in the cradel only connected thru the port at the bottom of the IPOD then I guess it would have a stereo signal at that location as well but I would think that the signal would be the same at the earphone port as it would at the charging port.
The signal through the docking port bypasses the earphone amplifier, and sounds much cleaner to my ears. The harness that EC sells works with the new video iPods. It just doesn't with the Nano, according to the write-up on EC's website.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
What do I look for on EC's website. Is it a wiring harness??? That looks like something you use to hook up speakers with and not a connection to the IPOD. I must be missing something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
xxxrider said:
What do I look for on EC's website. Is it a wiring harness??? That looks like something you use to hook up speakers with and not a connection to the IPOD. I must be missing something.
This is what I use in mine. It draws power from the battery to keep the iPod charged, and feeds the cleaner signal to your aux jack.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/audio/gl18-ipod.htm

And this gets rid of the alternator noise:
http://www.electricalconnection.com/audio/filter-gli.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Just got off the phone with EC and I need to call the owner back Monday morning to get his opinion but I don't have a Gold Wing, I have a VTX 1800R with an Autocom Intercom System on it but it would be nice to wire that into my system to get a cleaner sound and provide battery power to my IPOD and have it turn off the IPOD when I turn the key off on the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some great information all and much appreciated. As for your question xxrider on if I have looked at the 30 GB IPOD with video? YUP! sure have and did again this evening at Walmart :) Glad that you asked cause I do have a question .............. For the same price, approx. $250.00, I can get the IPOD 8GB Nano or........ the 30GB with video. Common sense tells me that I would get alot more for my money by getting the 30GB plus video, but is this the best decision for using it on my Wing? What I understand the 30 GB has a hard drive as opposed to the 8GB and will have a tendancy to skip if jolted. ( I understand they have 2 different types of technology) Once again, I'm still learning about these so forgive my dumb questions.....if they are :)
Like I orginally stated, I may be looking for a 12 volt power supply to run off while riding as when I do stop now with the the small MP3 player that I have, I always forget to turn the dang thing off :roll:
It's only a small battery and not expensive but at the rate that I remember I had better carry a pocket full of batteries. The 30 GB sure looks nice, bigger but nice for the same $$$$
Your turn :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
The 30 GB is a lot more bang for the buck. The advantage of the 8 GB Nano is that has no moving parts, and would probably last longer in a hostile environment.

That said, I have the 4 GB Mini, which also has a hard drive - it has worked for about 7 months in my Wing without a hitch, hiccup, skip, or crash, and I use it almost every day.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top