GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be geared for someone who's good with Windows XP.

Okay, my wife purchased me a new, (I guess it's the 2nd Generation), iPod Nana 2Gig. Wanted to make sure I liked it for on the Wing before blowing the big $$ on the 30G.

I'm running Windows XP with all availiable updates with iTunes latest update from their site. I like leaving the iPod plugged in either by the supplied jack to the USB 2.0 or a dock that I have. However, when I turn my computer on in the morning, Windows will not start up with the iPod plugged in or in the dock. I get to the black screen when it goes into it's system check and locks up. I have to shut everything down and remove/unplug the iPod from the dock/USB port. Re-start and everything fires up as usual.

I have changed a number of options on the iPod and even gone into the BIOS, figuring it's got to be in there somewhere since Windows is not even starting up. But I really don't know what I'm doing in there. If I change something, I write it down, try to re-start with Nano plugged in. When that doesn't work I go back into BIOS, change whatever I did back to it's original setting and try something else. Bigtime frustrating!!

What's the sense in having this cool little charging dock if I got to disconnect it everytime I start the computer???

Any computer savy Wingers got a clue or heard of such a problem like this? I have tried contacting Apple 2 times in the last week and a half and have heard nothing back from them!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
First let me say I know nothing about the iPod, but if it does use the 5volt power supplied on the USB it may be drawing to much power for the laptop to boot and charge at the same time.

This is more a function of the laptop then it is the iPod and the amperage it can deliver through the USB at the same time it is powering up. I have a couple devices that I use power from my Laptops USB that will cause the system to reboot completely when I plug them in.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I've had this problem with a couple different devices that plug in via the USB port. Have with many different devices and different computers. I just know that certain things I just don't leave plugged in when I boot up.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
Apple recently updated Itunes with the latest release of the new Ipod models. They rushed the software to market so they could have the new video sales working, and it has been FULL of bugs. Many folks have reported all kinds of problems with it. Three days after they released it, they had to make a new release, but it only fixed some of the problems.

I am still running the old version of Itunes and have no issues with it, and I may never upgrade as I don't care about having video.

Apple should have concentrated on what made the Ipod popular, (music) instead of trying to make it into a video player.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Your problem is that the computer sees the ipod not as an ipod, but as a hard disk drive. It sounds like it's trying to boot from the ipod, which is why you can't leave it plugged in when you turn it on. It's out there looking for disk drives and assigning drive letters, and you ipod is getting stuck in the drive letter list ahead of your windows boot drive, and so it's trying to boot from it. You can have the same problem if you have lots of different devices (sd cards, portable hard drives, zip drives, even, i think) plugged in at boot.

There are a couple of approaches. The easiest is just to disconnect it before booting. Second would be to go into the system bios, and ensure that the machine is not set to try to boot from USB devices. The exact way to do this varies from system to system. The third way is to make sure that your USB device does not have a primary disk partition on, but an extended one. However, I'm not sure if the ipod would work after doing that or not; I haven't tried it.

Hope this helps. BTW, any other USB MP3 player can cause this problem, it's not unique to ipods.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if it makes a difference, but this is my PC, not a laptop.

The software that came with it was 6.? and I was thinking that I needed the new stuff so I did the upgrade, twice now. Once I got on the site I saw alot of negative feedback, like Fred H. mentioned. Not sure if I should have done it after that, but I was having the same problem before and none others since.

The problem does seem to be exactly what you described, Joe. I have gone into the BIOS and checked to make sure that it is booting my CDROM first and then my HD. I have swapped them around and disabled the USB boot, but everytime I fire the computer up, I see that it grabs the Nano immediately, (the screen on the Nano lights up and reads "Do Not Disconnect").

I'll give the website you guys supplied to find someone close by to shed some light on the subject.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too just bought one of the 4GB IPOD nanos (one of the new model) and I have to unplug mine from my desktop computer before I fire it up. I believe like someone else said - that it thinks it is a hard drive too - your computer assigns it a "letter" like the C drive but calls it say F drive.
Its just a matter of plugging and unplugging the ubs port but your right small PIA factor there.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I love this part..........

Note that changing the BIOS may not help the issue and you may still need to disconnect the iPod at startup.

when it doubt, punt!

·
Registered
87 Posts
CBFer said:
However, when I turn my computer on in the morning, Windows will not start up with the iPod plugged in or in the dock. I get to the black screen when it goes into it's system check and locks up.
Go buy a UPS for your system and then leave it on all the time. No more boot problems and it's a lot quicker to get on the forum too. :lol: I never turn mine off unless a really bad thunderstorm is coming and I'm at home. Just make sure you've taken the proper precautions with regard to security if you have a broadband connection.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Naw, don't like the idea of leaving the computer on 24/7. Seems I have finally turned into my Father and dred opening the electric bill during the warmer months. I have seen my bill go from around $35/ month to $100/month since my wife and her 2 boys moved in 3 years ago.

I have found another article that seems to be exactly my problem, but my BIOS system does not have the same listings/selections as stated for the solution. Not to mention one of the solutions is a little scary sounding.

http://discussions.apple.com/message.js ... 99#2349599

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'll still bet it's a USB tip voltage draw issue - NOT bios settings. I had the same problem with a computer that had a UBS1 hardware setup and a USB2 emulator running, along with a USB2 configured jack. Componets with USB2 conductivity would work fine - AS LONG AS THEY DREW NO POWER VIA the USB Port. :?
Solution for me - new computer.
However I never leave my iPod connected when I turn my computer on/off...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Do you have the option set to use the iPod as a mass storage device? If so, turn it off. Windows is trying to boot from the iPod. That is why you get a blank screen. You might also be able to work around the problem by changing the boot order on the machine bios to look at C: first. I have the same problem with my work computer when I leave a 3.5 floppy in the drive and I do a restart. XP wants to boot from the removable drive first (floppy, CD, iPod). Some machine bios will work around this, some won't depending on the age of the mother board and bios age.

Is there a bios flash upgrade avaialble for your computer from the mfg? That may solve it too.

Ditto the above comment regarding not leaving it plugged in when the computer is off.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I have changed the iPod option "enable disk use" back and forth. I have also gone through the boot sequences dozens of times to the point of all but launching the mouse accross the room. See the first link I posted above for possible solutions by Apple.

My computer is about 2 years old and BIOS system seems to be the upgraded version, compared to my son's Dell which is 3 1/2 yrs old.

Leaving it unplugged is what I have been doing, but the whole idea of getting this nifty little dock is to leave it alone untill I need it and that way it stays fresh and ready. Just like my Kodak digital camera with dock.

Jonniedee's mention of the USB drawing power sounds logical because I have my digital camera in a charging dock always setting here, but the USB is only for downloading the pics off the camera and there is a power cable for the NiCad battery that is plugged into a wall socket for charging.

It seems there is no viable solution to this problem except for keeping it unplugged, (which really defeats the purpose of this handy dock), or buying a newer computer, which isn't going to happen for sometime.

Thanks to all that responded, your help and comments were greatly appreciated! If it were not for the plethora of accessories out there for adapting this iPod for the Wing, I would never buy another. I have had a number of issues with iTunes website as well & after numerous emails Apple has not even attempted to help me. My first experience with Apple has truly been a frustrating PITA!!

Ride safe everyone!

·
Registered
755 Posts
What is the make and model number of the computer? Let's check the mfg. support website and see if there is a bios upgrade available. :idea:

·
Registered
569 Posts
You shouldn't have to unplug the dock, just take the iPod out of the dock until you boot, then put it back in. I never boot my computer with the iPod in the dock.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Leonard said:
You shouldn't have to unplug the dock, just take the iPod out of the dock until you boot, then put it back in. I never boot my computer with the iPod in the dock.
That is what I do.

Model #??? Oh, boy. Could that be found in the OS? Because I hate the idea of pulling everything out, if it's on the back of the tower.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Example:

IBM Thinkpad
Model T43
Type 1871

HP
Pavilion d4650e

Should be able to find the model number on the back of the computer along with a serial number, possibly on the front depending on brand.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts