GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dang, I HAVE to stop copying Fred H.!
I was enjoying his reviews of his new bike because it started out as a twin to mine, and I was interested to see his impressions and enhancements.
I enjoyed his review of the GP/XM combo and decided I'd break down and pay for a subscription based on that ... and then I find out his pricing comments were based on having a billion or more subscriptions already. Sigh. Ok, so I don't really need weather or traffic anyway.

Then I really got excited by hs review of the whole iPod and E/C interface thing ... and, after years of avoiding anything Apple like the plague ... broke down and bought an iPod.

Bad mistake, that.

Cute gizmo, alright ... but someone told Apple what I thought of them and their business practices and they "fixed" my iPod classic before it arrived. They did some research and discovered that I was on POTS for an internet connection, and the crappy winter had fixed things so I was lucky to get a 28.8 connection. Whatever they did meant that the crappy iTunes software couldn't read the data on the iPod ... but COULD recognize the serial number and other information ... so I can do nothing except hit the RESTORE button. Well, hitting the RESTORE button means that the stupid software (a 65 mb file that I managed to download at work) wants to connect to the internet. OK, sigh, boot up the phone connection and get the wonderful 28.8 connection, and away it goes, doing something but telling me nothing. So, I break into the process and take a look, and it's trying to download a doggone 58 mb update file. 58mb? At 28.9? Yeah right ... I'm sure the connection will stay up for 36 hours.

And do you think there's anywhere on the cruddy Apple site where they actually provide the download without going through the software (so I can do it from work)? HA!

And, to make my joy complete, they have no email support so I can't even question their sanity, or their parentage. I guess I'll have to think about just sending this turkey back ... if their own doggone software won't work with it ... it's just an extremely overpriced hard drive ...

Sigh. NO MORE listening to Fred H>!!! :bow::bow::bow:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I liked my ipod so much i cancelled my sirius subscription. No more music fading out everytime I drive near a tree which is about all the time I am riding.I enjoy the sat.radio but hated evrerytime a good song came on so did a tree.LOL
Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I love my ipod, it is one of the simple ones. i have loaded 1800 songs on it and i plug it in and away i go

·
Registered
214 Posts
The problem is your lack of bandwidth. If you can manage a high-speed internet connection, you will find that all is well. Neither Apple nor it's device is your problem.

Get thee to a laptop with a good Wi-Fi connection and watch your problems disappear over a nice cup of coffee.

:yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1:

·
Registered
143 Posts
iPod Woes

Peter:

I have an iPod Nano 3G and and iPhone. Both handle music (iPod is built into the iPhone). I have no problem with either device or the iTunes software I use to sync both. Apple has a quality product and great processes for keeping them up-to-date software wise.

I suspect your dissatisfaction is your internet connection. As sammisgrammy has suggested, take your laptop (hopefully you have a laptop) to your favorite coffee shop/cafe that has WiFi and do your updates there, instead of at home. If you connect for a sync, you can see the date on the summary page when you're scheduled for another update. Just take it on or before that date and force an "updates check."

I know it's inconvenient to do this, but chances are, you're out and about in town regularly enough that this shouldn't be hard to do.

If you don't have a laptop, have you considered upgrading your internet service via sattelite? You can get this type of service if you're not near cable.

Hope this info helps with your connection woes.

Happy Listening While Riding! :cool:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heh ... well, I expected the Apple Core to defend their choice, and I'm not surprised.
Nope, it's not Apple's fault that I live in the country and can't get high speed internet ... but it IS Apple's choice to make their rackafraz software files impossibly huge, and make their hardware so locked down that you can't do an update to their products without jumping through serious hoops.
I shouldn't HAVE to take one of my laptops and my BRAND NEW iPod over to an internet cafe in order to RESTORE a BRAND NEW piece of hardware.
My problem is that I'm not fond of Apple OR Micro$oft and their bloated crapware ... I remember the device drivers that were written in assembler and took almost zero space ... a 58mb file to update a device is just ... unbelievable. If either of those two companies spent half as much time putting out good code as they doing trying to beat the hackers, they might sell usuable stuff ...

must be apples fault some folks have poor inet connections
this from the guy who blames an ex-president for something that congress created ... LOL

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
heh ... well, I expected the Apple Core to defend their choice, and I'm not surprised.
Nope, it's not Apple's fault that I live in the country and can't get high speed internet ... but it IS Apple's choice to make their rackafraz software files impossibly huge, and make their hardware so locked down that you can't do an update to their products without jumping through serious hoops.
I shouldn't HAVE to take one of my laptops and my BRAND NEW iPod over to an internet cafe in order to RESTORE a BRAND NEW piece of hardware.
My problem is that I'm not fond of Apple OR Micro$oft and their bloated crapware ... I remember the device drivers that were written in assembler and took almost zero space ... a 58mb file to update a device is just ... unbelievable. If either of those two companies spent half as much time putting out good code as they doing trying to beat the hackers, they might sell usuable stuff ...

this from the guy who blames an ex-president for something that congress created ... LOL
maybe we should have the govt pay for you to get decent internet, just like we pay for people who choose not to update their tv, to get a converter for free

or you could get a record player on your bike and play some 78s

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
What you need is a 13year old grandson who can fix your:22yikes: issues in about 10 minutes, Or just go rent a kid somewhere. They are all computer experts

·
Registered
5,541 Posts

No Cable, DSL or even Satellite available in your area?

Even my Dad in the BIG Town of Quitaque, Texas (Pop. 402) had High Speed Internet!

What about cellular access????

Must be like living n the Stone age there in Midland, MI!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Looks like its time for you to mount that 8-track player...that'll show em!:p

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
What you need is a 13year old grandson who can fix your:22yikes: issues in about 10 minutes, Or just go rent a kid somewhere. They are all computer experts
Hit the Nail, right on the Head! That's what I do, once a month.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Looks like its time for you to mount that 8-track player...that'll show em!:p
I never owned an 8-Track, I do however have a small collection of 4-track Tapes and a Muntz Home unit to play them on.... :doorag:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Peter, I see your point (in a way). Even if you had access to high-speed Internet connectivity, you are struggling with the fact that this new-fangled software is so bloated and uses up so much bandwidth and space on your machine to install. In essence, why can't those greedy software mogels just go back to the "old days" -- when computer programs were so much simpler and less buggy prone and ran effortlessly even on the old 30 megahertz Apple Macintosh, eh?

Yeh. I hate progress too!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Peter, I see your point (in a way). Even if you had access to high-speed Internet connectivity, you are struggling with the fact that this new-fangled software is so bloated and uses up so much bandwidth and space on your machine to install. In essence, why can't those greedy software mogels just go back to the "old days" -- when computer programs were so much simpler and less buggy prone and ran effortlessly even on the old 30 megahertz Apple Macintosh, eh?

Yeh. I hate progress too!

But then you could not have an iPod.... :shrug:

·
Vendor
22,510 Posts
Take your laptop (Fred recommends one:lol:) and head on over to Mickey D's. The Ipod has it all over XM, and since their going broke, consider yourself an early adapter:lol:
Yea, that's the problem. You need to buy a new NetBook to go with your XM and Ipod to keep it all working good. I recommend the MSI Wind. It's on sale here:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10009930&prodlist=dealnews
:lol:

FYI, you actually CAN download the latest version of Itunes from Apples site at work on your high speed connection, and put it on a memory stick and bring it home and install it.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Sorry if I steered you wrong. I try hard not to do that, but I'm not infallible. So far, I'm real happy with the XM on the bike, and really don't have any complaints about it. My savings by having a second radio only knocks off about $6 of the monthly fee ($13.99 instead of $19.99). So it's not a huge savings, but it does help.

·
Vendor
22,510 Posts
Dunno if any of you guys have played with the new "Genius" feature in Itunes, but it is pretty cool.

My new Nano can create "Genius" playlists right on the Ipod itself. All I do is select a song I like, and hold the center button down, and select "Genius Playlist" and it goes out and finds songs on the Ipod that go good with the one I selected, and makes a playlist of them. It's a great way to make a new playlist while you are out on the road without even needing a laptop with you.

There is one catch (pay attention here Peter). You need the latest firmware loaded on the Ipod and the latest version of Itunes and you have to "Activate" the Genius feature, which requires Itunes to connect to the internet and exchange info about your music library with Apple. It also only works on some of the newer models, so you may have to go out and spend yet more money if you have an older model. :duck:

But once you have it all set up, it works real slick. You can create playlists with music that is in your library that you forgot you had, or have been ignoring. It's a great way to freshen up your playlists.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Yea, that's the problem. You need to buy a new NetBook to go with your XM and Ipod to keep it all working good. I recommend the MSI Wind. It's on sale here:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10009930&prodlist=dealnews
:lol:
Just picked up a Acer AspireOne two days ago, $299.99 at Best Buy (and just about everywhere else in the world). XP, 1gbRam, 160gb HD, does have the 8.9" screen and not the 10" the MSI has, but I am really liking it so far!

Got iTunes, Mapsource, OpenOffice and Firefox installed. Even found a Toshiba driver for the wireless network card that is compatible with our Cisco wireless network here at work!

Thinking about plugging in a Blue Tooth USB and picking up a BT Mouse, but I hear that there could be interference between the wireless network and the bluetooth (Blue tooth stops working during network downloads), need to read more about that.

So there is your solution Pete. Buy a Netbook, pop it into your saddlebag and ride to the nearest "Big" city where you can get a decent broadband connection and load up on all those gigabytes of software for your iPod! Then ride home listening to your new songs on the iPod!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts