GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 4GB Ipod. Sometimes while in use it freezes up(I guess it doesn't like the song selection)Usually I just recharge the batteries and I am good to go. Once I reset it(I think you click the top button three times then hold the middle button down) If you know this procedure please refresh my memory. The unit beleive it or not was making a muted clicking sound and had a sad face icon on the display. Now it is dead. I am thinking my battery is done. Any syggestions.NEWSFLASH-the unit seems to be charging now- Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Be sure to mount or store the iPod where it won't get too much vibration or jarring around - this will cause it to lock up. I've got 2 iPods, 1 4GB and 1 30GB and they have both done this when mounted to my handlebars. I now put the 30GB iPod in the left pocket (padded on the bottom with some foam) and use the iJet wireless remote (velcroed to my dash panel). This solution works great.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It was my understanding the the smaller Ipods don't have a hard drive like the bigger units. They have a flash memory not hard drive. They should not be bothered by vibrations.

If you get the sad face it usually means the Ipod needs to go back for repairs.

I use a 20 gig all the time with great results. I have had it lock up a few times so bad that I had to let the battery run totaly dead to get it back. I now have a foam bed that is rests in. This seemed to take care of the problem.

I just set the Ipod to shuffle all songs and let it play. Usually lasts longer than I want to ride.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My 40GB Click wheel was locking up so I sent it back to apple under the extended warranty. They tested it and said there was no problem with it. I told my wife that was BS.. she told me to go get a new one (60GB Video) and give her the "BAD" one. She's been using it ever since and hasn't had any problems. I mounted the new on in a hard clamshell protective case and it's velcro'd to the top of the left pocket cover. I haven't had any lockups with this setup, but I may move it inside the pocket on a foam bed if I get the ijet remote.

Matt

http://www.thesabrehood.org

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
The 60gb and 80gb video Ipods have twice the amount of RAM memory in them as other ipods, (64mb compared to 32mb). This makes them less susceptible to vibration, as they don't have to access the hard drive as much.

Hard Drive Ipods can and will lock up when subjected to high frequency vibration. They should not be mounted on the handlebars, but should instead be placed on a soft piece of foam in one of the pockets where they can move around a bit. Hard mounting them to the bike makes it worse. They do best if they can float a little, which helps them dissipate much of the shock.

My old 2nd Gen Ipod has been the most reliable, and has never locked up on me and I have put about 100K miles on it in the right fairing pocket on a piece of foam.

I tried using a hard drive Ipod in the FJR, and it constantly locked up due to the vibrations from the bike. I recently bought one of the new 8GB Nano's (flash memory based) and it works so much better, I no longer have to worry about where I mount it. I converted my music collection to AAC at 64k and was able to stuff 3,700 songs (about 400 CD's) onto the little 8GB Nano. So far I am extremely happy with it, and if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't even mess with the hard drive Ipods anymore. The new 2nd Generation Nano also runs 24 hrs on a single charge, and you can even mount it on the handlebars if you want to.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is it ok to put the IPOD in the left pocket?
Someone told me that he used to put his IPOD in the left pocket but was having problems with the IPOD because of excessive heat in the pocket.
I am thinking of getting an IPOD and my thoughts were to keep in the left pocket. Has anyone had problems with the IPOD getting too hot in the pocket?

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So my second generation 4GB Ipod pretty much locks up on the bike after 1-2 hours use. I use the Ram enclosed mount on the bars with foam pad underneath the unit and EC harness. But it never locks up on a plane or while walking. I may get a newer unit and keep this as a plane only unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts