GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently try hooking up my ipod to the aux input, thru the ground loop isolator, switched radio to aux. but no sound, could the aux input wire came unplugged?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
It's possible. Pull the glove box and look. Easy to do. Also check the AUX button just to make sure it's not on headsets. Another and I'll get out of here, is the pause buttom on the iPod pushed ?

Heck, try everything...

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Mac...as Tommy T states, try the simple things first....my iPod "quit" working one day...I was perplexed until i realized I had the system set to play through the helmet headsets and not the speakers!

Also, for my iPod I do not need the ground loop isolator...works fine without it....however I do need the isolator for my XM radio as that is getting power from the motorcycle...the iPod is running off it's own battery

Let us know how you make out

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Sometimes its he simple stuff that bites you. One night mine wouldnt work. I tried everything or so I thought, when I got home I found the one thing I hadnt checked was the volume on the Ipod itself, It of course was turned all the way down... Dooooh

·
Registered
129 Posts
My Ipod works great off the battery but not off the bikes power. Yesterday mine had a major melt down. Just froze up while riding down the road. I could not even turn it off. Had to leave it on until the battery went fully dead. OK now, but very strange. This is the second time this has happened on the bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had 3 I-pods lock up like yours. Was told its because I-pod works off a hard drive. I switched to the Nano and have not a problem since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
wireless control

Have you ever thought of using a wireless remote to control your iPod while you ride?

I found this thing called an iJet remote that uses an RF signal to control your iPod.

It works great, It's even water resistant.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Crab Killer said:
My Ipod works great off the battery but not off the bikes power. Yesterday mine had a major melt down. Just froze up while riding down the road. I could not even turn it off. Had to leave it on until the battery went fully dead. OK now, but very strange. This is the second time this has happened on the bike.
This happens every once in awhile with mine too. You can reset it. I printed out the instuctions on how to do this and taped it to the back of my iPod.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ipod:

Will lock up when jolted, now wrapped in foam and no more lockups

Needs a GLI when plugged to bike power (no hiss with internal IPOD battery)

To unlock hold down the center button and the menu button at the same time for a bit (30 sec, repeat as necessary until reset) Works for my 20 gig IPOD

Play with the IPOD EQ as the best setting is NOT what you think. I tried "rock" and the music sound was crap, turned off the EQ and it sounds pretty good. Maybe someone knows how it interacts with the GWs sound system and can recommend a better setting. Maybe Folk...

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
There is a fix for the iPod lockup on the company website. Mine locked up and went there for some information and found it. Can't remember the exact combination of buttons, etc to push, but it worked with mine. Give it a shot and see if that fixes iPod lockups for ya. :D

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Mine locks up all the time. Used my sons Nano and it never happens. (due to flash drive rather than Hard drive)

I intend to buy a Nano and retire my 20 gig to nothing more than jogging.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Made up a simple suspension for my hard drive iPod, now sits on Four 1/2 " square foam pads, no more lock ups. solid foam does not have enough give in it, acts literaly like a solid,
Jas

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Jas.... and how did you do this? I want access on the fly to make changes etc so if there is a way to do this and have ready access to the controls Im very interested!

·
Registered
812 Posts
iPod

To reset iPod photo or later press and hold select (center) button and plsy button until the apple appears. For earlier ipods I believe it is menu and play. Full instructions on "the 5 R's" are at apple.com iPod holds about 26 minutes of music buffered and then reloads so hard disc is not spinning all the time. If you hit a bump when it is reloading it will lock sure as shootin. It may free itself, but eventually will not. I cur an iPod sized hole in a piece of soft foam and it now never (almost never) jams. I bought an iJet on ebay for about $20 and it works great!! I have the controls on my key ring and now I can control the iPod with the fairing cover closed. I have heard of people runing them from their trunks. Also, best results have iPod not over 3/4 volume. Make it louder with the stereo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the Ijet for the nano too.
Works great!!
But i didnt knew that it was water resistant. Good to know. :wink:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I tried all the above fixes and nothing worked. My I pod just sat locked up half way through a song with the back light on. I tried hooking it up to the computer after doing all the button resets. The computer would not see the Ipod as well. I ended up waiting for the battery to go completly dead. Once that happened it was fine after the charge. I would bet it was the rough ride that did it in. The foam idea will be my next project. The only time I have problems with the Ipod is in the bike. Still waiting to get the ground loop isolater. They were out of stock last time I checked.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Crab,

The hold button trick doesn't work everytime. So what I do is watch TV and hold for 2-3 minutes, if not try again. Had to try 4 times once but it works. IPOD locked at the start of a 500 mile day one time, I got it going 1st try on the side of the road and it was fine the rest of the day.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Junk it and get XM - No download and NO 99Cents a song to keep up with the rest of your computing life. :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
Crab Killer said:
I tried all the above fixes and nothing worked. My I pod just sat locked up half way through a song with the back light on. I tried hooking it up to the computer after doing all the button resets. The computer would not see the Ipod as well. I ended up waiting for the battery to go completly dead. Once that happened it was fine after the charge. I would bet it was the rough ride that did it in. The foam idea will be my next project. The only time I have problems with the Ipod is in the bike. Still waiting to get the ground loop isolater. They were out of stock last time I checked.
Make sure you have the latest unit software. My 30 GB used to do that too, and not only on the bike. I updated the unit software a couple of years ago (not i-Tunes, the firmware in the iPod) and it hasn't done it since. I always put the Ipod on a cushion of soft foam rubber in the bike and use a RF remote to control it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Crab Killer said:
Crab,

You're not alone. My iPod does this repeatedly. I keep mine in the left pocket, and thought it might be a heat build-up issue, but it turns out not to be. Next, since I use mine with a Griffin remote strapped to my throttle, I thought it might be because I FF through song selections too much. That doesn't seem to be it either. The Pod just locks up, in every case after it's been on and running for some time. Short trips it doesn't happen. Long trips it always does. Sometimes I can reboot it, sometimes I can't. The only cure seems to be a reboot. Most often I can force it to by repeating the reboot procedure again and again. I've been meaning to take it to an Apple store and have it looked at...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts