GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you out there have the garmin ique 3600, and I have a few questions. A friend wants to upgrade her Palm Pilot, and I suggested the ique. She might us the GPS function occasionally, but not often. Most of the time, it will be a gloified address book and daily planner. She commented that a GPS might come in handy, but I'm not sure she'll use it often enough to learn it well. Keep in mind, I know NOTHING about PDA's.

Does the ique function as a true PDA?
Does the addition of the GPS make operation too complicated?
If the ique is a poor choice for her, can anyone suggest a good PDA?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lucky, I think she would do just fine as the 3600 functions just like the palm pilot 500 series. It really is an amazing gadget, I have had mine since last fall and have used in at work, on the wing, in airplanes, in the pickup, etc...... I have several palm pilot pda's and i find it to function well, and as a gps it is increditable..... I also have had or still have most of the other garmin gps units (40,45,etrex vista, gps V, gps III, streetpilot, 76s, rhino's, etc) and this one even amazes my wife!!!! :shock: The audio is great, the acuracy is great, the speed, the cheap memory cards, waas capable.... and the best part of the whole unit is it's portablility and functionality. It is not water proof, but then again it just slips in a pocket or you can put a ziplock over it..... also has great sounded MP3 capability that plugs right in to the aux jack.... and you can be playing MP3's and the mapping directions will over-ride the music. The screen is large, bright, and is in color. You do have to treat it as a 450 dollar piece of equipment, meaning I would not throw it around or drop on the floor or drop it in a toilet!!!! :oops: Like I stated I have the SP III and used that on the wings until purchasing the 3600 and the 3600 is cheaper than the SPIII (more capability and cheaper!!!!). I have looked at the 2600 series from garmin, but they are still not very portable (they need a 12 volt supply) Drop me an e-mail if you need more information....
Jon

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
even i can figure out how to use the 3600.

it offers many uses in one small pocket package. yahoo has a pretty decent user group that can answer questions.

i also like the feature of useing your home computer to input and info on to the 3600. saves a lot of scrolling and messing arround.

i also keep all my emergency info in it, phone numbers and info for roadside assistance, medical plan info, credit card numbers and contacy info in case of a lost wallet, etc

a very versitile toy.

loren

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ique 3600 Baterry life

I have been a Palm user for years and recently looked into the Ique 3600. The writeups on the web sites talk about a short battery life. Can anyone confirm how long the battery lasts without charging? First without our using the GPS and just as a pda. I understand how much juice the GPS takes from using my GPS V and my GPS III.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I sent her a link to a review on this unit, and I think she was a little intimidated by the capabilities. After she plays wih it a while, I'm sure she'll be happy with the Garmin.

·
Registered
762 Posts
dougt, the battery life depends on many variables, most important of which is what level the backlight is on. If I have the backlight on full brightness, the battery icon shows a drop immediately. But if I turn the backlight off, the battery might not show a drop for close to an hour. As a general rule, when using the gps and with the backlight at 1/3 brightness, I can get about 2.5 hours out of it. If using it for usual pda stuff (not gps), on and off all day (say 30 minutes of on-time per day) then it should last for 2-3 days at least. When I've used it for geocaching on foot, I'll typically let it go into standby (gps is still on, though) in which the display goes blank until I need to change direction, turn on the display, get my directions, then let the display go blank again. Also, the voice directions will still work with a blank display. So it's hard to give a direct answer to your question.

Normally I hotsync my iQue every evening unless I'm on the road in which case I have the car kit for my car, and I'll be adding a power capability to it when I mount it on my bike in a few weeks. I'm thinking of getting a protective case for it for geocaching and outdoor activities, and if I do that I'll probably add an external battery power supply to it as well. But so far, the short battery life hasn't been much of a problem.

HTH,
Arthur

·
Registered
84 Posts
iQue versatility while in Canada...

I have been debating the merits of the iQue vs 2620 for a few weeks now and had just about deceided in favor of the iQue (I need a new PDA anyway...) when I found a seller on e-bay who was selling his iQue because of the poor mapping in Canada. Can anyone comment on the qantity/quality of the Canadian content. Don't they (Garmin) use the same map base for both units :?:
Jim W.
Blk 03

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't comment on the quality of the maps for the Great Frozen North, but yes... Garmin uses the same map programs from Navtech for both.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Check out this web site.
Click on : " MapSource Map Viewer " MetroGuide® Canada v4 " on the right of the page.
Then you can click on partsof Canada and see for yourself how detailed it is.
Thats what I did and purchased the saoftware to upgrade my 2610.
Both software packages work together.
MetroGuide® Canada v4 & North America City Navigator v5

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSo ... anada.jsp#

1 - 9 of 9 Posts