GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me just say WOW, what an amazing piece of equipment, I absolutly love this thing:

Now for the questions:

1) whats the best mounting hardware for the bike. I have the 'beanbag' mount on the dash of the truck, but I would like something that I can just unlock the dash mount and move it to the bike ??? I have seen the "ram mount" but I'm unsure which one would work best on the bike

2) is there a Ram mount that will mount directly to the bolts that hold the clutch assy. on???

3) how well can you hear the voice commands w/o the power speaker (the thing that plugs into the cig lighter) not that I need voice commands from a machine, I get plenty of that from the back seat :D

4) while your "enroute" does your 3600 "pan" to the 'next' map or page automatically when the curser goes off the screen. We had a Lawerance that would do that, when the curser went off the screen the map would atomatically "jump" to the next map and continue the route. I can't figure out how to do that with the 3600

5) how tough is it to "adjust" the iQUE when moving, Like zooming in or out or moving the map???

I'm sure I can think of more questions, but this is a good start

TIA

·
Registered
762 Posts
Jmac,

Can't answer all your questions because I've only just received the hardware to mount my iQue from CycleGadgets.com...and my bike is in the shop. In any case, the weather around here is not conducive to riding.

I will be mounting my iQue to the handlebars. As such, even if a cradle becomes available that will take the dash mount, I won't be happy routing the power cable to the left pocket power socket everytime I want to use the iQue on my bike. I doubt I would hear the speaker inside the pocket either, but that's debatable. I'm virtually positive I won't hear the iQue's internal speaker in traffic either. So, for now, my plan is to mount the iQue on the right handlebar because I'm right-handed and would have a lot of difficulty pecking the correct buttons/icons with my left hand whether stopped or riding. I won't be able to manipulate the buttons/icons unless I'm stopped or on cruise, but it will still be easier on the right side. I've bought Kennedy's SingleSet to inject the audio from the iQue into the intercom. Unfortunately, Kennedy uses the headset jack and not the Universal Connector at the bottom. Neither Kennedy nor RAM currently offer a powered cradle option so I plan to wire up my own power/audio connection by plugging in a 5V adapter in the left pocket and running a cable terminated by Palm's Universal Connector up the right handlebar to the iQue. I'll be snipping off Kennedy's audio jack to do it.

Anyway, to answer your questions:
1. RAM may be developing a powered cradle that will take the dash mount (or part of it) that you currently have in your truck. I received an ambiguous response from RAM when I asked about this last month. Their response to me on Feb 8 was:
Rather than reinvent something that has already been done, we simply made an adaptor for the existing iQue docking cradle. Our bracket attaches to the back of the current iQue dock and makes it RAM compatible. The part number for this cradle is RAM-HOL-GA11. This adaptor/cradle will be available in approx. 30 days. We are just waiting on the mold to be finished so we can begin making this new part.
I have no idea if this will meet your requirements, Jmac. I didn't wait.

2. Yes. The "Gadget EZY Mount" Model number GM-504 will mount to the bolts that hold the clutch/brake assembly. The mount is made by Dallas Motorcycle Accessories and includes a ball that is compatible with RAM mounts. The ball can be mounted on the top/bottom or front of the EZY mount. Only one ball is included but another can be ordered. I have the standard 3" RAM arm (RAM-B-201) attached to the EZY mount, and an iQue cradle at the other end of the arm. Another ball must be attached to the back of the cradle (RAM-B-238). RAM's p/n for the cradle is RPR-182-GA10 and appears to be designed expressly for the iQue: the iQue snaps right in and is held very solidly. CycleGadgets.com sells all of this stuff.

3. No experience, but I doubt you'll hear the commands at all unless you're moving quite slowly. As mentioned, I have Kennedy's SingleSet with intercom sub-harness (Kennedy p/n 95203) and iQue device harness (Kennedy p/n 95206). If you want power to the iQue you might want to try Radio Shack's 12V to 5V adapter: 25-2113. If you want to wire in your own power so you can also tap into the audio pin on the bottom of the iQue, check out http://www.gomadic.com/pacoplas.html. For wiring suggestions, check out http://www.pbase.com/image/22101532. For a very active forum specific to the iQue, check out http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/forumdi ... orumid=108

4. Depends on the 'mode' you're in at the time. If the iQue is directing you to a specific location, then it should be panning automatically. If you're just using it for tracking purposes, and the iQue is not panning, then tap the 'home' icon (ie, the black triangle) or press 'esc' button on the left side, and your location should be shown at the middle of the screen. If the scale is less than xxx (800m for me, check your preferences) then the map will be oriented with your current direction upwards. If the scale is above xxx north will be at the top of the map. If you want to see/hear your next direction (in routing mode) or hear which direction you're travelling in at the moment (in tracking mode) then press and hold the Que button (bottom right) until you get the 'voice'.

5. You can always pan the map when in panning mode (ie, with the 'hand' selected) with your gloved finger. And you can use the middle buttons to zoom in/out. Not sure how difficult that will be with gloves on.

It's an incredible little device, isn't it? 8) Sorry for the length of the post...hope I've answered your questions and haven't bored you!

Cheers!
Arthur

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW, thanx Art thats great. the only thing that REALLY concerned me was the "PANNING THING", I think it's a little annoying to have to take your eyes off the road to either move to the next map or zoom in/out

I'll check out cycle gadgets this afternoon, I was on a site www.mobilecx.com and saw a couple of things that might work but I get confused easily and didn't want to waste a ton of money on mounts that won't work

thanx again

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hi Jmac,

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. The iQue (and any Garmin as far as I know) automatically pans when in 'routing' mode (my term, don't have the manual handy). If the iQue is directing you, you shouldn't need to manually pan the map...your position should always be at the center of the display. With Garmin's MapSource there is no "next map". The North America basemap should scroll seemlessly. The only change you might experience is when you leave an area in which you've downloaded additional info from the MapSource cd and travel in an area with only the basemap...in that case you'll probably lose all your minor roads and points of interest. But you should be able to navigate between major cities right across the continent with only the basemap - you'll be limited to major roads, of course.

If you want to manually pan the display while the iQue is directing you (ie, in 'routing' mode), you can. But in that case you'll probably want to stop to look closely at the map anyway. At least, that's what I do. But under normal circumstances, when the iQue is directing me in 'routing' mode, I leave the iQue alone and it automatically pans (scrolls) and zooms in/out depending on the complexity of the roads in the area I'm driving. For instance, I recently drove to Montreal. While in Montreal and Ottawa, the iQue automatically zoomed in to a larger scale to show intersecting roads. Between Montreal and Ottawa it zoomed out by itself to show only major roads/interstates.

HTH,
Arthur

·
Registered
21 Posts
The iQ will automatically keep the arrow in the center of the map. It will also zoom in by itself as needed to show the way . Use it in a vehicle a while as it can be distracting--I found that if I just listen to the voice I am fine. A great tool!!

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx for the replies: Heres where I'm at.

I got into Route Preferences >> then TRACKS >> RECORDING >>WRAP WHEN FULL.

Now when I'm just moving along (driving to a destination WITHOUT using a waypoint) the cursor stays in the middle of the screen and the map "scrolls" seamlessly. however, if I use a waypoint (routing to a destination) the cursor moves across the screen but when it gets to the side of the screen the cursor keeps going but the map does not scroll "with" the cursor.

hope I explained that all right.

when I'm NOT routing to a waypoint, the cursor stays in the middle of the screen and the "map" seems to move under the cursor

when I AM routing to a waypoint, the base map stays still and the cursor moves across the screen, maybe that will help clear up what I mean

Thanx again, hope I can straighten this out

·
Registered
762 Posts
Okay, you explained it just fine.

first thing...your tracks preferences have nothing to do with routing. You can leave the tracks setting as is or change it, whatever you want. If you want to record a drive/ride you're taking, you should clear the memory (TRACKS >> Clear) and when you finish, go back into tracks and save the ride with a name. Then you can clear the memory for your next ride. If you don't clear the memory it will continue to accumulate "bread crumbs" until the memory is full (and then it'll wrap). You cannot turn this feature off. If you have a particularly long drive to log, you might want to change the recording interval to 'least often' under preferences. I'm still experimenting with this so I don't know how far I can go on a typical ride on 'least often'.

As for routing after entering a waypoint (via) the iQue stops scrolling the map and instead moves the cursor. To get the cursor to stay in the center with the map scrolling, tap on the black triangle (cursor) at the bottom of the screen (to the left of the "hand") OR press ESC on the left side of the iQue, just below the jog thumb wheel. The iQue will stop automatically scrolling the map any time you manually pan the map yourself, or enter a via manually via the map.

BTW, I mentioned in an earlier post that you can zoom with the center buttons. You can also zoom with the jog thumb wheel on the left side. That might be easier to use with gloves on than the center buttons.

HTH,
Arthur

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
YAAAA-WHHOOOO, we got it now

Heres what you got to do:

PREFERENCES >> ORIENTATION >> TRACK UP

the map will not "scroll" if the map is in "NORTH UP".

now this little beauty is working perfectly

Thanx for all your help, you guys are great, I really a appreciate it

·
Registered
762 Posts
Good to hear you got it now, Jmac. It's been so long since I adjusted that preference I forgot all about it.

Any other questions just ask! 8)

BTW, have you downloaded the latest updates? The latest firmware update for the iQue is Release 3 and there are updates available for Mapsource and the Tracks conduit (so you can see your tracks on your pc).

Arthur

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have the updates YET!!! :D :D But I got TBB* on the case, she will have them by the end of the week.

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it.

have fun--ride safe

*Throttle Boss Barb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts