GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
:agree:We had Ike 3 years ago.
You may have seen my pics for Ike in another thread. I live near Seabrook.

Seeing the pics in the link in this thread, and watching the news today all I could think of is that everyone is saying that Irene was not nearly as bad as expected, and many people are upset they had to evacuate.

For those who don't know the Houston area, I'm about three miles from Galveston Bay and I'm in a mandatory evacuation area for anything that MIGHT hit our area. I've evacuated more than once that it missed us. But by the time you know it's going to hit or miss for absolute sure, it's too late. As in the pics in this thread, even a mild hurricane can do a hell of a lot of damage. I heard 18 killed in the U.S., and that is not likely to be the final count.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Great pics of an unfortunate event. Glad you're OK.
Art

·
Registered
654 Posts
Like others have said- glad your ok to post. We didn't get too much in my neighborhood but down the road a few minutes in NC and out closer to the water they got hit pretty bad. Even had a tornado rip through a few houses. Up in Newport News a tree fell on an apartment killing an 11 year old boy. The biggest issue for my wife and I was the power outage. It was out for about 30 hours, a friend loaned us a generator though so we could keep the fridge cold and a few lights on in the house. We got off a lot easier than the experts were calling for, growing up in Florida this was a lightweight to us but still not something to pass off as just another storm. I'm glad it wasn't worse.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Good that you survived to take some pictures. Looks to me like mostly water damage. Not to minimalize it, but obvioulsy there is a lot of water damage. My observation is that there doesn't appear to be too much wind damage, and I think that you are fortunate.

Good luck cleaning up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great Pictures! They really show how the storm may be one thing to deal with & survive, but there are the after-effects (flooding, washed-out roads, interrupted businesses, salvage, etc) that, when you see them, you get a much clearer picture of the magnitude of devastation a Hurricane Irene can produce. We had a lot of similar challenges in the SE PA/So. Jersey/Delaware tri-state area. Hate to see the tragedy of nature's fury, but again, great pictures!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Not lnocking the storm but the midwest has been looking like that since May and still have flooding .now the east coast also and my neck of the woods are so dry Im afraid to ride fast as the friction may start a fire .
Strange year to be alive but then most are

1 - 9 of 9 Posts