GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my wing ripped apart for Traxxion suspension upgrades - whew...

Anyone using Iridium plugs and benefits vs cost?

thx

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'd go with OEM. IMHO I don't believe you would see any benefit, performance or MPG wise. Just my .02

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
The iridium plugs are suppose to last longer. But who knows for sure?

I stick with stock plugs and save some money

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I put in the iriduims. Cannot tell the difference between them and the regular one that had 35000 miles on them. Same fuel mileage, still starts, neither misfire, neither mess up the audio. One costs more, both get the job done.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Oh god here it goes again. LOL First off the MAIN reason that these plugs are used or even made is that they last longer. The performance benefit will be nominal. These plugs are rated for 90K at least. If you follow your owners manual you are supposed to change the stock plugs at every 16K. It is a matter of how often do you want to change them. I have 50k on mine right now and they still look brand new. At 10k miles my stock plugs were already starting to erode the electrode.

The auto manufactures went to the spark plug manufactures and requested a longer lasting plug because some of these cars out there these days are murder to get at. We are talking 3 to 4 hours labor to change on some cars. I regular ol spark plug that Honda uses would not last very long and then people would be having to pay all this money for replacement all the time. It also gave the auto guys a place to promote longer maintanace intervals.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I've got about 48000 miles on my originals. I've had to clean and regap them once. I've got a set of new ones from Hal, but haven't been able to do anything with the bike (or anything else) due to a bad knee.

My GF's 98 Chrysler Cirrus has around 220,000 miles on the originals in her car. Too dam hard to change them. It still runs fine.

·
Registered
636 Posts
You probably wouldn't be able to get those plugs out of that engine.
That's the folly of using these long lasting plugs. In all those years they're likely to fuse to the cylinder head.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Decided to shell out the extra bucks - ran these for 30K and never looked at'em.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Lucky Phil said:
I've got about 48000 miles on my originals. I've had to clean and regap them once. I've got a set of new ones from Hal, but haven't been able to do anything with the bike (or anything else) due to a bad knee.

My GF's 98 Chrysler Cirrus has around 220,000 miles on the originals in her car. Too dam hard to change them. It still runs fine.
V6 -You have to pull the intake off to get to the rear plugs and of course got to the dealership for gaskets. :shock:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Now the EPA requires cars to have a longer service interval 100,000 miles. My 1998 acura integra took standard plug 30,000 intervals - my 2004 rsx take the iridium plug and no need to service for 100,000 miles.

Same goes with cats - warranty is longer now on all emission devices too.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Iridium longer lasting? My 2002 VTX 1800 Retro calls for them to be replaced every 8000 miles in the maintenace schedule.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Iridium Spark Plugs

Worth every penny you pay for them. Iridum comes from metorites and is one of the hardest substances known so the electrode can be narrowed down to a fine, almost needle like point...and you will never wear them out, you could probably will these things to your kids. Stu Oltman put me on to them a few years ago and I donn't and won't run anything else...
bj max
Ther Redneck Files
Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly

·
Registered
337 Posts
Bought the OEM NGK's at Advanced Auto for less than 2 bux each. On the 1800 its a breeze to change them every 16k. If I am gonna go through the trouble of pulling them to re-gap.....12 Bux for new ones is a no brainer.

RRP

·
Registered
334 Posts
I ordered a set of iridiums, Just think, I'll never have to install plugs again in my lifetime- This also reduces the probably of spark plug wire damage which usually happens when replacing plugs. A good investment for $7 a plug.
JMHO. :sparkplug:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I go to napa or autozone and get the ones listed for stock usage,in the book, there fine last the 33K miles at interval I chnage them but probably could easily go 90K, ride safe

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Johnnyva said:
Iridium longer lasting? My 2002 VTX 1800 Retro calls for them to be replaced every 8000 miles in the maintenace schedule.
I guess we now know why they used the word "Retro" in the name, don't we. :lol:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Platinums and Iridiums were originally used on cars that have a three coil setup to compensate for the extra wear that happens in a wasted spark system like that. The Wing uses the same system and it is suprising that they went with standard plugs.

I like the longer lasting plugs. I still check them every 24,000 miles so I don't have to worry about seizing. When I changed my OEM plugs at 30,000, I noticed slightly better response, probably due to the old worn plugs, not better new plugs.

Either way, the above posts are correct. The engine will run the same with either type.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like the idea of iridiums for some of my bikes that it's a bit of a challenge to change plugs on... can't say why I'm attracted to the idea on the wing.

The plugs are the ONLY thing that's easy to get to on the wing :lol:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Ya gotta change the spark plugs too???

Jeepers, I am rethinking all the fun I am having with my Wing....gotta change or replace all kinds of things at regular intervals:

engine oil (and then there is the agony of WHAT oil to use)
crush washers
nitrogen in tires
brake fluid
blinker fluid
air cleaner
spark plugs
drive shaft oil
radiator coolant

Plus the stock seat is no good, the trunks don't open up, the mirrors are bad, the windshield is not electric, the stock speakers suck (05) and I either have too much or not enough chrome.

Boy I must be miserable.....and yet I am having so much fun!!!

Seriously though...I can't recall the last time I changed spark plug in a vehicle...and they all seemed to start and run just fine

Had a 12 year old lawn mower....never changed anything but the oil and that was maybe four or five times....ran great until the mower deck rusted out

1 - 20 of 35 Posts