GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about trying this in 2014. Has anyone done this? Do you have a route mapped out? I will be leaving from south Georgia or western Florida and ending in GA.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ray

·
Banned
2,289 Posts
If you get Ron Ayres book that he wrote on this exact subject he has his route mapped out along with dozens of helpful suggestions,,, He held the record for this ride for quite awhile,

If you do the 48+ it includes hyder alsaka too

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Just had a story about this in the IBA magazine complete with a map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
read the story. That's what got me interested. I must have missed the map. I have looked at the ones posted on IBA site, just looking for other ideas.

Ray

·
Banned
2,289 Posts
If you go to ron ayres adventures he may still have his map on there.. But you will see how planned down to the last mile his route was He planned certain states corners where he could duck walk his bike from one parking lot to another over the course of 20 minutes and knock down 4 states buying a candy bar in each little store.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just bought Ron's book. There is a lot of info in the article in Iron Butt magazine. Between the two, I think it may be enough to get me going.

·
Banned
2,289 Posts
If I was not already paid up and committed to Southern Cali Motorcycle assoc. USA 4 corners ride and their 3 flags ride I would be begging to go on this ride with you ..BUT GOOD LUCK SIR!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just signed up for the I've Been Everywhere Rally from Team Strange so I am putting off the 48 10 till next year.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I completed a 48/10 in 2002. I was the 13th person to accomplish it. The route planning was a complex, time consuming endeavor in those days as there was not nearly the amount of previous knowledge about the event nor was there the technological advantages that are available today.

Over the years, I've only seen two basic routing schemes that are time and mileage efficient....the Ayres method and mine. My route is essentially an inland outline of the US boundaries. At the time, I completely developed my route without influence or input from any other previous 48/10 rider so I will boldly call it "mine"! Lol! The Ayres route was predicated on him going for a record attempt at a 49/10 that started in Kittery, ME and ended in Hyder, AK. Ayres solved many of his logistical problems with incredibly extensive planning and the use of dozens of helpers along the way. He was also one hell of a long distance rider!

Trust me, my ride was not anywhere near a record but it was done 100% solo with only a road atlas as my guide. My 48/10 route can be adjusted to start and end in a variety of locations around the United States with the final mileage total only varying by a couple of hundred miles.

I'm seriously considering another 48/10 attempt in 2016. I made lots of time consuming and strategic mistakes the first time and it's been bugging me ever since that I could do much better and probably shave many hours off of my previous time. Just for variation, I may make it into a 49/10 which is a different animal entirely.

The 48/10 was and always will be the pinnacle of my riding career. I've done several more difficult rides since then but the 48/10 was uniquely difficult and fun.

Go for it!

·
Banned
2,289 Posts
I am game for either version of this ride if it starts to firm up.... Nobody here locally even considers the concept as a doable ride.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
48/10 is forty-eight states, right? There is no Alaskan requirement.
48+/10 should really be changed to 49/10 since it does include Alaska.

Seems like a lot of folks confuse the two............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts