GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just my opinion and not meant to stir up controversy.

I finally received my IBA certificate this month. My IBA ride was June 3, 2006. One of my buddies on the trip received his paperwork in early November. My check cleared the bank in September, 2006.

I have come to the conclusion that accomplishing the ride with a group of friends is reward enough. The IBA takes way, way to long to process the paperwork for me to ever send in any more documents for their approval. And finally, the quality of the certificate surely isn't worth the price paid. I can make better certificates on my laptop.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Mike Kneebone and the two or three people helping him have been somewhat overwhelmed by the IBA success. They all have regular jobs and try to maintain the IBA as best they can. I have not received the certificate for a ride I turned in last summer sometime. I haven't said anything to them. If I ever get it great, otherwise I will be fine. I don't certify most rides unless they involve something of particular interest.

You can probably get more information at www.ldriders.com or the Ironbutt forum at http://www.ironbutt.org/forum/default.asp.

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
I;ve done a couple of IB1000,BB1500 and Border to Border. I see your point.I have the certificates hanging and future ones are for riding pleasure. If someone wants the cert that is fine with me. If they don't that's OK too.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I think they just need to make some tougher rides. Right now I bet their most popular rides are the regular Saddle sores and the bun burners...which while they are tough...they can take dedicated riders only 15 hours or less to complete. Lots of people ride like that all the time and dont want a certificate for that. I think if they made harder rides that are really tough to accomplish, less people would qualify and the IBA would mean more to riders.

H

·
0 Posts
From the Iron Butt website:

When we get your ride documentation, one of several people will start the verification process. Due to the extensive work involved (keying data into mileage spreadsheets, map verifications, witness contacts where needed and custom certificate preparations) and the fact that approximately 60% of the labor involved with producing these awards are performed by volunteers, it will usually take a minimum of 2 to 3 months before your certificates will be ready for signature and mailed to you.

We realize this is a long time to wait for your certification. However, our certification process is very thorough. In fact, the entire certification process is what gives your certificate value. It would be very easy for the Iron Butt Association to simply take money and print up a generic "you rode a 1,000 mile day" certificate, however, the value of the entire certification program is in the fact that not just anyone can get an Iron Butt Association ride certification. The downside is this process takes time... We can only offer that when you recieve your certification you know that not only you earned it, and so did any other rider that you meet with the same certification.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Hal,

Thanks for clarifying that the IBA is a VOLUNTEER association.

These people are running the IBA because of their love of long distance motorcycling. Chances are most of them are on their bikes during the riding season and spend the non-riding season catching up on IBA affairs.

No doubt they can always use financial contributions, so when you send in your cheque for $42, maybe add a bit more to help keep the IBA running.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Here is a copy of the letter Mr. Kneebone recently sent to people who had waited for many months for thier certifcates. Remember your 42 bucks or whatever is paying for the costs involved with the certification process. You are free to print your own certificate and it will be worth only the paper it is printed on.

So Ziggy, since these rides are such a piece of cake, how many have you completed?

Mr. Kneebone said:
If possible, we ask your forgiveness with the long delay with your
ride documents.

In mid-May we lost our two best ride verifiers. Both had been with us
over 10 years and suffered extreme burn out. When one left, the
other did not want the pressure of breaking in new people at the
height of motorcycle season. It was simply too great a loss for the
IBA to suffer within days of each other. Obviously, we replaced both
within a few weeks. However, this is a very demanding job and more
importantly, as these are important records to us, a job where short
cuts cannot be taken. Unfortunately, over the summer, we had to
hire, let-go and rehire employees until we found the right mix of
talent.

I want to let everyone know that obviously I press our staff to
hustle, but I personally review each and every ride before it leaves
so I can also be a big part of the bottleneck as I work a full time
day-job and try to monitor e-mail (even with Ira Agins answering all
the mail that comes in through the web site, I still get 50 to 100
messages per day that I obviously try and route to whom ever can
answer them), various long distances lists and obviously the Iron
Butt Association board at www.ironbutt.org.

On that note, the real value of these certifications are that they
are reviewed. You are not really paying for the 75 cent sheet of
paper. You are paying to know that when you see an IBA plate back
(our default membership card) that the rider you are meeting had to
go through the same intense process your ride went through. That is
what gives the certification real value.

Believe me when I say it would be so easy for us to rip open your
envelope, cash the check and issue a cheesy certificate. But so long
as I am breathing, each ride has to go through the process. That is
why I keep my (very good) day-job. I go to that job day in, day out,
so that I am not tempted to move rides out because I need to make a
living doing this. On the other hand, no one realizes more than I
that we need to work on speeding up the process. I thought the two
replacement employees would serve us all well, but I never
anticipated finding the right mix of people would be so
difficult. The problem on our side is that that I cannot train
someone in how to do a verification in two weeks, so adding last
minute help to get us through a trying period like this is nearly
impossible.

Thank you again for your patience with our lengthy process. You are
now part of not only the toughest riders on earth, but a member of
perhaps one of the toughest Associations of which to become a member!

Welcome to the insanity.

Michael Kneebone
President, Iron Butt Association

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
JMO,
i have no problem with the IBA & think it's a good idea for people who need a piece of paper attesting that they've done this or that.
I've done several rides that would qualify for SS & BB awards,but i will not pay $$ for something like that to hang on my wall.
stay safe,
the hobo

·
Registered
460 Posts
I wonder how many or what percentage of the rides do they not certify. I completed the 1000 mile ride a couple of years ago and then just did not turn in the paperwork. After I finished it just did not seem that important. I knew I did it.

To be honest I would like one of those patches and tag holders but just never got around to it.

BTW I don't care who you are a 1000 miles in 24 hours is hard!

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
i would lke to see chip try to do my 24 hr ride,hahahahahaha

all kiding aside,if you want the paper work get it ,if not dont bother,kinda simple!

·
Registered
55 Posts
hobo said:
JMO,
i have no problem with the IBA & think it's a good idea for people who need a piece of paper attesting that they've done this or that.
I've done several rides that would qualify for SS & BB awards,but i will not pay $$ for something like that to hang on my wall.
stay safe,
the hobo
+1

·
Registered
38 Posts
Highdob;
Did you not read the information regarding the time it might take to get your ride certified? Most of the certificates that I have earned in the past few years have taken months to arrive, they have gotten quite busy. If I didn't like the certificate or the time it took to finally get it I would not do anymore IBA rides. I would not bash the IBA or Mike Kneebone, who I think does a fantastic job, on a public forum either. This too is MY opinion and not meant to creat controversy.

Bill

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
slimshady said:
hobo said:
JMO,
stay safe,
the hobo
+1
+2, although we only did one LD ride (for us anyway). It was 855 miles in about 13 hours, only because we wanted to get home. Do you get tax breaks or discounts for having an IB cert?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
For me, the reward was the license plate backing plate. That is what I rode for. My wife could care less that I did it, so the certificate is filed away. I'm proud to display the plate.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
hobo said:
JMO,
stay safe,
the hobo
JMHO

What makes an IBA ride certification more difficult than just throwing your leg over the scooter and riding the distance is following the procedure for the certification. Finding witnesses, keeping track of mileage and stops, and then putting the package together for the IBA is, to me, what adds value to the process. And besides it is way fun.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts