GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried a search and went to IBA and couldn't find anything. A few years ago I seem to remember someone starting or doing a Ride Around Texas (RAT) Iron Butt ride. Is this still done? Did it meet the qualifications? Thanks for the info. Jimmy

·
Registered
583 Posts
There was an annual event called the Waltz Across Texas. We had a chapter member that used to particiapate in it. I don't believe it is still being put on and I am not even certain it was an IBA event. I think it was but I am sure someone else will respond with more information. You may also want to post this on the Texas board for more visibility.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
It was Headquartered out of Texarkana, i think 2 years ago! I haven't heard anything lately.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was Headquartered out of Texarkana, i think 2 years ago! I haven't heard anything lately.
Any idea on what it was called, so I might get better search results? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Back in 2006 the Iron Butt Association did support a SaddleSore 1000 where you rode the all the 1000 miles in your state. I did it in April of 2006 and received a standard certificaton with a unique pin with the state of VA on the pin.

I just looked at the website and could not find any reference to this type of event. I remember prior to doing it of a group of folks in Rhode Island doing it and the description of the very detailed accounting and certification process for them since they were basically going in a big circle.

You might email the IBA and see if they still sponsor this activity.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The RAT was a MTF sponsored ride if I'm not mistaken. Started at Texarkanna and went counter clockwise around the perimiter of the state. It was somewhere around 3,300 miles that you could do in 85 hours or 70 hours for the gold certificate.
Go over to the MTF forum and serch it out there I'm sure I read some reports on this ride there. Or contact Alan LeDuce, he was one of the main organizers.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The RAT was a MTF sponsored ride if I'm not mistaken. Started at Texarkanna and went counter clockwise around the perimiter of the state. It was somewhere around 3,300 miles that you could do in 85 hours or 70 hours for the gold certificate.
Go over to the MTF forum and serch it out there I'm sure I read some reports on this ride there. Or contact Alan LeDuce, he was one of the main organizers.
Guess I have been out of the loop too long,,,,what is the "MTF" forum? Thanks

BTW I was thinking of doing this ride this spring,,,,any interest??

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
The MTF is the Motorlcycle Touring Forum. A lot of good info there about rides, places to eat, rally's, ect.

They're planning a bunch of in-state SS1Ks this year. Here's a link to the thread about them:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTourer/messages

I really like the site and everything it has to offer.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I remember prior to doing it of a group of folks in Rhode Island doing it and the description of the very detailed accounting and certification process for them since they were basically going in a big circle.
I think you mean a little circle....:lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help. The emails and info is very much appreciated. Anyone interested in doing one in April or May? I think it will be a great way to see a lot of the state that I haven't yet.

Ride Safe and God bless America.

·
Registered
232 Posts
BTW I was thinking of doing this ride this spring,,,,any interest??

Interested? YES
Able to do it? Probably not this year.
We wre so short handed at work that it is almost impossible to get vacation time when I want it. I just get to find a week here and there when it is convienent for everyone. Sometime late spring or early summer I've promised the wife a trip to the Keys to see the bouy. And in late summer we're going to try to go to the Black Hills. That's probably all the time I can get this year (if I even get that done).
I really wanted to do the first RAT a couple of years ago and missed the chance. I've been kind of pizzed about that for a long time. It proved to be a great experience for those who got to do it. By all accounts it was quit a challange.
Thanks for the invite and maybe we will meet up some place in Tejus sometime. We are in the Richardson area quit often to see the grandbaby, usually on Sundays.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Mtf

MTF,is made up with riders of all types,most however are long distance(ld) riders.The rides for the coming year are submitted to the ride committee and kind of chosen by the membership.These rides are all set up to meet IBA standards and most are recognized as valid,because they make sure you have all the documents completed to submit your ride.Go to the website and join in on the fun,its free and you will learn a great deal from the experience from board members.I think they have 3 great rides planned for this summer,two that I remember is in Moab,Utah and a ride around the great lakes.If you do decide to do the rat due your fuel planning well,because in south and west texas gas is sometimes hard to find,most folks use fuel cells.Hardest gas
part is between El Paso back around to Andrews area.Have fun,Neverhome

1 - 14 of 14 Posts