GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:nojoke:I started my Iron Butt ride on Wednesday the 14th. My plan was to go from Palm Springs up to Salt Lake City and I-80 to Mariinette, WI. Then drop down to Custer, MI to see my Dad.

Gassed up in Palm Springs at 9:15, official start time. Cut through the back roads to Barstow, jumped on 15 and headed north. When I got to Baker I could see heavy squalls ahead. I was able to adjust my speed and miss both of them. Just North of Vegas I was able to outrun a huge front coming in.

I was feeling pretty cocky. It all changed when I got to Mesquite, NV. Left Mesquite and was in solid rain for two hours. After that thing seemed to go smoothly.

It was a little after midnight and I thought I'd get a room for the night. I stopped in three towns the last one was Rock Springs, WY. All motels were booked. I figured I had less than 100 miles left to I would just finish it.

The moon was out, I could see stars here and there, it was a nice night to ride. I was coming into Rawlins, had the cruise set at 75, the speed limit. All of a sudden the bike starts shaking. I thought it was a front tire so I accelerated to take the weight off of the front. Realized it was the rear so I applied the front brake to lighten the rear. There was an exit with a Flying J right there so I whipped in to the Flying J. I was tired so I decided to sleep in the truckers lounge for three hours and then fix the flat. I had 974 miles on my GPS.

Got up this morning at 6 AM and went out to fix the flat. Because of the flat I couldn't get the bike up on the center stand. Raised the shock to 25 and I still couldn't get it. Someone came along and helped me. Got out my air pump and filled the tire. I could not find a leak anywhere or damage to the tire. I just purchased new Avon Cobras the week before. I thought it might be the valve stem or the rim but nothing leaked.

I decided to get my 1000 miles in. Kept my speed down to see if the tire would hold air. Twenty three miles down the road I could feel it going flat again. There was a gas station there and I pulled in. They did not have an air compressor but a trucker said I would use his truck to air the tire up. Now I have 997 miles on the GPS.

I could feel the fire going down again and pulled into Elk Mountain Conoco.
I had 1043 miles on my odometer and 1018 on my GPS. I hope it was enough! Called AAA and had it trucked to Laramie.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Good story :). Glad you made it but most important ride safe. BTW TPMS are a great addition to the bike.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Very cool!

Good job!

As long as the route you took has verifiable corners (via receipts) and witness statements, you should be good.

I'd check your route with Google maps, or one of the software packages. But "1018" by GPS should be good!

Subject to verification by IBA, congrats!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Well congratulations...what a rough way to get an Iron Butt ride in, lol. Won't forget that one for sure.

I live in Rock Springs (past four + years), and lived in Rawlins for a year before that. Yeah the hotels around here are Crazy. Im sure you got off of I80 on one of our main drags...by Wal Mart...lots of hotels, but they fill up quite often due to all the oil field workers and such.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Very cool!

Good job!

As long as the route you took has verifiable corners (via receipts) and witness statements, you should be good.

I'd check your route with Google maps, or one of the software packages. But "1018" by GPS should be good!

Subject to verification by IBA, congrats!
:thumbup:

Congratulations on a good -- and safe -- run.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Congrats :thumbup:

Next time use a rear tire that will get you there and back. ;)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Congradulations!! Now you can get the coolest license plate holder in motorcycling..imho:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts