GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just did the Lake Superior Circle Tour. He left Detroit friday afternoon and entered Sault Ste Marie, Canada Saturday morning and camped overnight in Thunder Bay Ontario Saturday night and then camped in Munising, Michigan Sunday night and then back to Detroit at 7pm Monday night and that is 1885 miles in 3 and a half days. Nothing I would attemped myself that is for sure.:wrong::wrong:

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
No, that is NOT Iron Butt riding. :no:

:confused:

That's 'touring' riding at an average of slightly over 500 miles a day.

Yes, we all have differing amounts of ability and capability. To me, your friend rides like many others out there - the journey can very well be the destination.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
point of view!

To a 70 year old which I am. I would never attemp a ride like that if I do 300+ miles that is usually the most I would attemp in a day. So to me that"s about an iron butt ride. I suppose to you 20 year olds that just a walk in the park. Lol:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
466 Posts
To a 70 year old which I am. I would never attemp a ride like that if I do 300+ miles that is usually the most I would attemp in a day. So to me that"s about an iron butt ride. I suppose to you 20 year olds that just a walk in the park. Lol:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Iron butt means different things to different people, but the formal meanings are tied to the rides and time frames as defined by the Iron Butt Association.

The simplest level is the witnessed 1000 mile ride in 24 hours. There are many rides defined. Coast to coast, corners to corners, full fledged 10,000+ mile rallies. Google Michael Kneebone, or Iron Butt and their web site should come up. I’ve got a number dating back to 2006, but I don’t remember it.

Reactions: BigBob1 and kwthom

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I have ridden a handful of times 1200 miles plus in one 24 hr. period but that was by myself. I guess a piece of paper would prove it to other people, but i am satisfied knowing what i have accomplished.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have ridden a handful of times 1200 miles plus in one 24 hr. period but that was by myself. I guess a piece of paper would prove it to other people, but i am satisfied knowing what i have accomplished.
Yabutt.....don’t ya want one of those little license plate thingies.....? :grin2:

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Yabutt.....don’t ya want one of those little license plate thingies.....? :grin2:
I have a few - the current bike only has a single plate backer (our fraternal membership card...) on it - the toughest ride I've done.

BBG (1500+ miles in 24 hours)

In fact, my proof is - I have *video* of it!

Of course, doing a 50CC was pretty cool as well.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have a few - the current bike only has a single plate backer (our fraternal membership card...) on it - the toughest ride I've done.

BBG (1500+ miles in 24 hours)

In fact, my proof is - I have *video* of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCALkJPEJvk

Of course, doing a 50CC was pretty cool as well.
I had NO trouble doing a BBG, was 2 hours "up" on the first 1K, then the highway was closed due to an accident, I made my time by roughly 38 min I think, stressful because of the closure but I was feeling fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
SaddleSore 1000

A friend and I (at age 62) did a "Memphis Loop" from Cincinnati, Ohio, this past June. After 600 miles in 10 hours, we stopped for a meal and 4 hours of sleep. Continued refreshed at 3:00 am in the morning with the road all to ourselves. Made it back to Cinci in 23 hours and 43 mins.
With a good route, good planning, good weather and a little luck, it can be an enjoyable accomplishment. Iron Butt Associate Member 72430.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts