GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like the group I ride with is planning a Iron Butt in June. I need to get some tips from the pros about this type ride and doing it with a group of say 6 bikes. I've gone to the IBA site and have their info. I'd like to hear about things like how far to ride before a break, what time is best to start, how to make it the easiest on the body, etc. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
A group of us did it the other year.....

We Stopped about every 120 miles, got gas, potty break and a quick leg stretch. (usually a 10-15 minute break)
We all carried water and snacks.
Having water you can get to while your riding is a big plus especially if the day gets hot.
For those with CBs, talk to each other, it helps keep you mind sharp.
Don't over eat at any stop, it will leave you tired.
For us leaving in the small hours of the morning seemed to work well.

Keep your breaks short, keep your riding pace reasonable, remember to have fun, and you should be fine

Good Luck!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ironbutt

My wife and I completed our "Official" Ironbutt Saddlesore (1,000 miles) a few years ago on separate bikes. She was on her Connie, and I did it on a sportbike (!). Did 1,084 miles in 17 hours. Yeah, I know..........do the math..........

Here is what we found and would recommend:
* ibuprofen is your friend
* STAY HYDRATED!
* Stay comfortable
* Eat at your normal times
* Shake out the kinks, drink and stretch at every gas stop
* Hard candy and lip balm is a big help
* Be friendly with the locals
* Get and keep every receipt
* Take an extended rest break between 1:00pm and 3:00pm if your schedule allows

We continue to do long distance rides every year, and enjoy the ever changing scenery.

Good luck, and let us know how it went!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Break your group of 6 into 3 groups of 2..Otherwise your gas stops will kill you as far as time is concerned... You might think you can gas and go in 15 minutes , but with a group that large , you might have to wait for a pump..or wait while someone goes to the bathroom etc.. It all adds up.
When I do a saddle sore..my goal is ramp to ramp in under 10 minutes

Good Luck...

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Just Google, Iron Butt Association. Their website has a ton in good info.

A group of six increases the possibility of breakdowns, meltdowns, potty breaks, etc, but it's doable.

Snacks and liquids on the fly does help, get your beginning and ending signatures arranged prior to, use the suggested log from the IBA site to keep track of mileages, fuel amounts, etc.

I also tell folks to do a couple of long rides prior that might expose potential problems during the actual one. These rides only need be 5-600 or so. For instance, you may find your legs go asleep after 4 hours in the saddle.

If possible, avoid rush hours or congested areas near big cities.

Have a GPS along so you can skirt around traffic stopping wrecks ahead.

When Tn. Charlie and I did our 1500 in 24, we used the GPS to go around an accident that had the interstate stopped.

Have a great ride.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you will use a credit card to buy gas, let your card company know
ahead of time that you will be making several purchases over the next 24
hours. I didn't and the card company stopped charges on my card about
60% of the way into my ride. I had a cell phone (also good to have) to
call and get it opened back up. Fortunately it was a short delay. You may
want to bring a backup card. Back up cash also works.

If you have a second ignition key, keep it in you other pocket in case you
misplace you primary key.

Take along a plastic zip lock bag to keep your receipts in. You may hit rain,
as we did. Water plays hell on those time dated receipts.

If you get really tired. Stop and rest, you can always try again.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Just Google, Iron Butt Association. Their website has a ton in good info.

A group of six increases the possibility of breakdowns, meltdowns, potty breaks, etc, but it's doable.

Snacks and liquids on the fly does help, get your beginning and ending signatures arranged prior to, use the suggested log from the IBA site to keep track of mileages, fuel amounts, etc.

I also tell folks to do a couple of long rides prior that might expose potential problems during the actual one. These rides only need be 5-600 or so. For instance, you may find your legs go asleep after 4 hours in the saddle.

If possible, avoid rush hours or congested areas near big cities.

Have a GPS along so you can skirt around traffic stopping wrecks ahead.

When Tn. Charlie and I did our 1500 in 24, we used the GPS to go around an accident that had the interstate stopped.

Have a great ride.
Good advice if determined to do it in a group, of any size. I prefer solo as only I know when it is time for me to take a break.

·
Registered
286 Posts
All of the tips already mentioned are good ones. I did my first (of what I hope will be many) Ironbutt rides last June. I would also suggest a smaller group..maybe two groups of three?? We left at 3:00 in the morning and by 11:00 we were well over half way. The rest of the trip was a cake walk. Be sure and talk with each other at each break to make sure everyone is feeling up to continuing. The last thing you want is for one of your riding buddies to have an accident because of fatigue that could have been easily avoided. Have a great trip. We found this way easier than expected. Be safe and enjoy the ride, Phil

·
Registered
20,944 Posts
the saddlesore 1,000 is very easy to do if u stay mostly on interstate hwys

if u are using a creditcard to pay for stuff its a good idea to let the card company know so that they don't turn off your card because of suspected possible theft, if they do shut it off all u have to do is make a phone call and answer a few questions and they will turn it back on but that will take some time that u didn't want to b wasting like that, i carry a couple of different creditcards so if one happens to get shut off just use another

with 6 bikes its very likely u will b making more stops than if u were travelling alone but i wouldn't worry to much about that because the 1,000 miles will fly by pretty fast anyway

if for some reason some folks can't manage to make the 1,000 miles safely by all means forget about the ironbutt thing, not worth the risk, there is always another day

i hope u have good weather and a great ride ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I'd say ride with one other person who rides like you or go alone. My preference is 200 miles at a time, gas, drink a gatorade, drain off the last gatorade, and go. Stop for lunch. As far as starting time, I'd say no later than 7:30 a.m. start time on the distance side of any starting city. A steady pace is important. Heading west gives you a couple extra hours of daylight. Have fun!

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I think 6 at once is too many. If you want to do it with the group, leave in pairs 30 minutes apart.

Gwyn was nervous to say the least when I did mine a few years ago, so I promised her every decision I made on the ride was to ensure I made it home safe, and to call at every gas stop. I only had 4 hours sleep before I started mine so I took a nap next to the road and in a rest stop. Certified 1,283 miles in 22.5 hours with almost 2 hours of naps and a sit down meal at a Burger King.

Remember, if you don't feel right or are having a hard time with it, call it a day and try again later. Ain't no shame going home to ride again.

2,732 Posts
Accidential Iron Butt

Both 1,000 + mile days I've done have been by accident without any prior planning. I started early, at 5 am and rode until 11 pm, averaging 60 miles per hour but that included stops of course for gas. I would never try it with a group, it would slow me down way too much. Even if you do it with a group, I'd still be on my own and agree what the destinations are to meet up at. I'd do the superslab if your goal is to do the 1,000 miles, its easy to set the cruise control and then focus on figuring out what life is all about. Thats another reason to do it by yourself or at least separate and not have to worry about others. Time to think....actually that can be the best part.

Also, be sure you have a contact (one person) back home that you all can call in case you all get separated during the ride. Someone who is available 24/7 and can act as a information provider to the others as to where you all might be located. Cell phones are great but don't always work everywhere.

To save time, I drank water and ate gorp while the tank was filling, hopped back on and went until the tank was on reserve, and then stopped. Repeat until the odometer shows 1,000 plus miles. Remember that the Goldwing odometer is very optimistic and doesn't accurately display 1,000 miles.

Sounds like fun. If they are not all on a Goldwing, they'll be envying you after about 300 miles.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Watch the sun!

Try to go west first, then back east for the return. The sun will be at your back all day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I did mine I took a break approx every 210 miles. I figured that was a safe range for the Wing. If you do go for the group ride figure out who has the shortest range and use that figure for your breaks. Try and keep breaks shorter then 10 min, keep hydrated, and keep all receipts.

As for what time is best to start, it would depend on your route. You don't want to be entering a city during rush hour, so plan accordingly. I started just before 5am and finished 11pm. Most of the guys on the IB site seem to start their ride in the early hours of the morning.

One more thing remember to stay hydrated.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Get rest early before the ride. Don't try to make up the night before you depart on the ride. Hydrate early and often. Better to have to stop because you drank too much at the last stop or while riding than to find that you are sleepy because you didn't drink enough. Start early so you can finish well before midnight. Have fun and safety first. You can always come back and try again if necessary.:biker:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What ride are you doing...Saddlesore, Bun Burner, etc.?

My guess would be the Saddlesore...right?

Russ

We're doing the Saddlesore. If things go well on the ride, I may try to continue and complete the Bun Burner once we get home.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
A lot of good advice stated above. I did quite a few long rides 500 - 700 mile days, just to see what it's like. I also did a couple of unofficial iron butts (again, just to see what's it's like and both were not planned) before my 14 yr old son & I did an iron butt. I could do one by myself easily because I would only stop for gas. During the stop, though, I would drink a bottled water or gatorade, possibly have a snack. With my son, we would go about 130 - 150 miles, take a break, then stop again for gas. We also had about a 2 hour break about halfway thru.

I don't think I would like to ride with 6 other bikes. Maybe just 1 or 2 at the most. Because you are doing it in June, it's going to be warmer, so start hydrating the day before and don't drink (much) alcohol. ;)

Good luck!
David

1 - 20 of 35 Posts