GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law

AP – Sun, Jul 3, 2011

ONONDAGA, N.Y. (AP) — Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.
The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.
State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.
Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet

·
Registered
268 Posts
In that overly regulated state, how do the Troopers know if he would have survived or not. I wear a helmet as a matter of choice. I have been to Motorcycle accidents where the riders died while wearing a helmet and accidents where they walked away while wearing a helmet. Sure, his chances probably would have been improved if he was wearing a full face verses 3/4 helmet because he would have struck the ground chin first. And the argument goes on about wearing or not wearing a helmet. Motorcyclists die everyday wearing or not wearing a helmet just as car drivers die wearing seatbelts and with the extra air bags.

All that rant means I am for the individual's choice. Unfortunately he died in a motorcycle accident.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I call that natural selection.

He wasn't smart enough to wear a helmet.

I also support a person right to choose.

My choice is to always wear a full helmet. I've been in three accidents in 45 years of riding and each time I ruined the helmet I was wearing but my head was just fine.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
They should ban all MC helmet laws and leave it up to the individual as to wearing a helmet or not. That way they can help clean up the gene pool........:lol::lol::lol::lol:
:agree:Good point!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
In that overly regulated state, how do the Troopers know if he would have survived or not. I wear a helmet as a matter of choice. I have been to Motorcycle accidents where the riders died while wearing a helmet and accidents where they walked away while wearing a helmet. Sure, his chances probably would have been improved if he was wearing a full face verses 3/4 helmet because he would have struck the ground chin first. And the argument goes on about wearing or not wearing a helmet. Motorcyclists die everyday wearing or not wearing a helmet just as car drivers die wearing seatbelts and with the extra air bags.

All that rant means I am for the individual's choice. Unfortunately he died in a motorcycle accident.

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

1000000000000%

HELMENTS also KILL & then the state takes NO LIABILITY!!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I wear a helmet now like most all on this forum.That said,years ago I had two bad crashes,hitting my head in both of them and surviving while still being able to think straight(most of the time:joke:). I don't like having one on my head(I have a hard to fit head and most helmets hurt after an hour of riding).but I like the benefits of safety and less noise and the intercom.I also would like the freedom to choose whether to wear one or not.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
All this talk about natural selection and cleaning up the gene pool is fine, but you do realize, don't you, that it works only if they die before reproducing!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I wear a helmet now like most all on this forum.That said,years ago I had two bad crashes,hitting my head in both of them and surviving while still being able to think straight(most of the time:joke:). I don't like having one on my head(I have a hard to fit head and most helmets hurt after an hour of riding).but I like the benefits of safety and less noise and the intercom.I also would like the freedom to choose whether to wear one or not.
You have made a good choice. Now make an even better one and seek out someone who is knowledgable in fitting helmets. Don't worry about brand, style, options, and so forth until you get the correct shape for your noggin. Most don't wear helmets because they hurt. Really, the number one reason. Number 2, is they don't think it makes them look cool. FWIW
Buy the fit, not the options. It is a pain to find a good helmet fitter in many places, but when you get it done once, you can take it from there in the future.
Your head will thank you.

Happy Hunting

·
Registered
686 Posts
:popcorn: Oh no, not again.:eek:4:
Start a crush washer or oil thread, STAT!

Seriously.. There have only been a handful of occasions in the last 100,000+ miles that I've gone lid-less even when I could do so legally: out on the grounds of the local National Cemetery, and, one time in a parade at slow speeds..

It isn't even a question, in my mind, because even without the possible aftermath in going down, I've been heard the sound when even a small piece(s) of gravel has/have impacted the helmet at a combined 100+ mph.

Ditto, eye protection.

That lid may not save me, but - strictly my opinion - it's a small price to pay for added peace of mind.. That includes a damned June bug, bee, 5/8"- gravel, nail/screw ruining my afternoon by ringing my bell while I'm on two wheels.

I've had to spend a fair amount of time, as a traffic engineer of 26+ years experience, responding to document production requests, maintenance records, accident records, etc. in response to accident-generated claims. So, just MHO, it isn't just about you. Somewhere, a ton of taxpayer funds are going to be spent (cumulatively) in a brain-injury/FatInj accident lawsuit. So, past a certain point, my natural "Your life, your choice about going lid-less" bumps into the cost to everyone in the event of a subsequent lawsuit.

My 0.02.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
You have made a good choice. Now make an even better one and seek out someone who is knowledgable in fitting helmets. Don't worry about brand, style, options, and so forth until you get the correct shape for your noggin. Most don't wear helmets because they hurt. Really, the number one reason. Number 2, is they don't think it makes them look cool. FWIW
Buy the fit, not the options. It is a pain to find a good helmet fitter in many places, but when you get it done once, you can take it from there in the future.
Your head will thank you.

Happy Hunting
Good advice there!
I too support the right to choose whether you wear a helmet of not. I wear a helmet by choice(though it is required in CA). Required or not, hot or not, I'm wearing my helmet. Tried riding without one once last year in a no helmet state, and I just didn't feel right.

I too had problems finding a helmet that fit correctly. After finding it, hours of riding are no problem. Motorcycle shows are a good place to find vendors who can fit you 'correctly' for a helmet.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Someone doesn't believe like you do so his death is a matter of cleansing the gene pool. Sweet.
A man lost his life doing something I don't really agree with but its a poor reason to rejoice in his death.
Those that do are sorry SOBs.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
interesting he died protesting helmets but his death will probably go a long way to promote wearing a helmet

1 - 18 of 18 Posts